good news- plunging cotton prices!

our prayers have been answered!!

San Francisco Chronicle 3/29/11

Number of the day : 127.5 million

That's how many bales of cotton are expected to be produced by farmers in the next agricultural year, which starts in August. (One bale is enough to produce 215 pairs of jeans.) That would be an all-time high, and it's projected to far outstrip demand. As a result, cotton prices are plunging from the stratospheric heights they reached earlier this month. The commodity had been trading at its highest level since America was recovering from the Civil War.

sweet!

read the full article here:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2011/03/28/bloomberg1376-LIOD8H0D9L3501-2VSHTKEC9SEJK4R3UR174UFFC4.DTL

does this mean that those increases in batting prices (just last month) or the increase in cost of fabric will be lowered? i think not ... once those prices are set and the consumer is paying them, seldom will they be lowered. especially in the area of fabric prices ... but then again, maybe these prices won't increase again for a while. i'm getting pretty used to paying $9 - $10 a yard for fabric, and yeah i know ... those in other countries are paying plenty more. just saying, once we start shelling out those $$$ it's hard for the company to go back to taking less. don't slam me, I love quilting and I'll continue to pay whatever it takes to build my stash for those rainy days when i'm lucky enough to retire! Just how long does this quality cotton stuff last, anyway??? LOL!

I doubt they will go down even with this news. Although many of my quilting friends and myself included are not buying fabric as much as we used to. We are using our stashes instead. Which is what we should be doing in any case. ;)

I spotted some gorgeous Red Batik at our local fabric shop a few weeks ago. Really beautiful true Red is not easy to find in batiks. But, at 11.50 a yard---I passed. I like to buy 2 or 3 yds. of fabric at one time.

Anything over 9.99 makes me cringe. :(

Guest Linda S

Well, they've already printed a lot of the new fabric lines on the very pricey cotton, so, if the prices are to come down, it won't be for a while yet. It seems as though in the quilting world, what goes up, never comes down (unless you find a hell of a sale!). ;)

What we can hope for is that one fabric company wants to make sure all their line is sold, they will lover the price just a bit and then others will follow until things are back to reasonable. $10 a yard is really not reasonable. I know everyone has to make a profit but they don't all have to make it on us.

Those further down the pipeline make a killing and the farmer gets the shaft again. He planted in anticipation of a living wage. His input costs stay the same the cost to get it harvested will go up if oil goes up more. He's worked himself to death and for what. Because we just can't see ourselves living any other lifestyle.

Glad the prices are going down. I feel for the farmers. However, I bet the price for finished goods won't drop now that people are paying the high prices. This gives the retailers a hight profit margin to use on something else. The farmers loose out even more. I about fell off my stool when I saw my LQS raise the price of her fabrics to 11.98 yd, ouch!

I'm betting prices will still be going up here :( The worst I've seen was a salesman with one range at 9GBP per m wholesale. That would come out at over 20 GBP retail! That would be about $29.50 per yard. Most of the fabrics coming in now should be retailing at about 13 GBP per meter, but the shops have been holding down the prices. I don't think you will find it is the retailers who are making the money, it's the wholesalers.

Ferreet

Archived