I've gone crazy!!

I got interested in the little featherweights a couple of months ago and researched them and decided I wanted a white one. I watched on ebay and bought one. I was so excited to get it, I could hardly contain myself. DH says that's a cute little machine and wanted to know all about them which made me more interested in the black one. Well, today I went and picked up two more, a tan one 1961 and a black one 1953 to go with my other 4 221's and a 195 K and a 185 J. I think i'm losing my mind. No more, I swear I won't get on CL for a long time! They are just so darned cute. (Maybe after Easter I can figure out how to do pics).

Carreen

Carreen, you better be careful! I've heard that those Featherweights are like Lays potato chips - only worse!!:P

And where are you in Auburn? My son and his fiancee have a house just off the Washington National Golf Course, between Auburn and Black Diamond. I'm over there all the time, and even more this summer, since they're getting married at their mini-mansion in August. If you ever need anything, I can deliver it personal-like!:P

I got a featherweight for Xmas and I absolutely LOVE it. It sews so great. I now use it for all of my piecing. It would be easy to go crazy over those things. Even my DH got to know all about them, and he has never taken an interest in anything having to do with sewing. LOL. He bought one just to refurbish and resell.

Ha, Carreen, in my living room I have shelves on either side of my fireplace. I don't particularly like them as they are so busy with objects in them. You dont know how often I have thought about buying bunches of featherweights and putting one on each shelf. Hmmmm, that would mean 16 machines. Now, where are you going to put all of yours?

I have sooo much "stuff" everywhere, I don't know where I can put them. Right now they're below my Millie. I'm thinking it's time to get rid of all the dead relatives stuff and decorate with just my stuff. What a concept!

Sandra, I live on 181st S.E. Almost to Enumclaw. I think she is more Federal Way area. If you ever want a surprise delivered to her, just let me know.

Carreen

My wonderful DL surprised me for Christmas in 2010 with one! (a pre-war). It runs like a baby kitty, just

"purr-fectly"! & this past October my Freedom SR. So I guess he has like totally outdone himself... Now what can I do for him? He is the best.............

A couple years ago I found a Featherweight on Kijiji for 225. in mint condition so I called, it had been listed for a few days. I was so excited I could hardly breath. The lady insisted that I try it out and it really was in mint condition, we chatted a bit and she told me it had been her MIL's and that she'd recently moved to Long Term Care and didn't need it anymore. She said she knew that it was worth more and that she'd had many others look at it but they tried to talk her down in price. I told her it was worth way more than she was asking, but she just wanted it to go to a good home :) well I cherish her. I also cherish my Singer Crank and my 99K and my Grandmas Treadle.

My living room is decorated around my machines :)

I grew up in Scotland very close to the Singer factory in Clydebank. There was a large clock on the Singer building, and to me, it was like Big Ben.

A couple of years ago, my husband surprised me with a birth year featherweight for my birthday. I love it - it sews like a dream and it's so portable!

Oh great! Another thing to add to my list of wants! I'm like Heidi, my list will never end. That's because there is so much new stuff coming out all the time. I should look for a featherweight from my birth year. I've always wanted a treadle machine too. But with all the Amish around here, if there is one listed on an auction, they are willing to pay a pretty penny for it. I need to win the lottery! Oh yeah, I gotta buy a ticket first. Rats!

Sheryl

Last year my wife wanted one for our aniversary. One night I couldnt sleep so I got up and got on ebay and bid on 4. Wellllllll. She ended up with a pair. One with the lines on the end and one with the fancy swirly stuff on the end. They are so cool and run like a top. I keep my eyes open. I think she needs one in every color.

Don

I inherited 2 from in-laws back when I was married. They are beautiful as well as useful to take to classes and quilt retreats.

Sylvia, if you want to fill your shelves, look at old treadle machines on e-bay. They can be picked up for a song and have absolutely beautiful designs, with flowers, birds, a sphinx and such.

I learned to sew on a Featherweight that my dad bought for my mom when she was pregnant with me. I loved that little machine. In the early 70's my mom decided she wanted a new machine and traded the Featherweight towards the new one. I was pretty upset and I always wanted to find another one. One day I was in a quilt shop and they had 2 being sold on consignment. One was in much better shape than the other and even had some attachments in the case. That's how I got my first one which was born it 1932. My second one was found at a flea market. The man selling it told me it worked fine. When I got it home, it wouldn't sew. My husband looked at the Featherweight manual I had purchased, took the machine to the garage and did some maintenance on it. Now it just purrs. This one was born in 1952. Both of them are black and one has the scroll and the other the lines.

I'd probably buy a few more if I could find them in good shape and at a reasonable price. Originally I figured that at some point one would go to my DD and the other to my DDIL. Now that I have 4 granddaughters I was thinking that it would be nice if they could each get one too.

Your not alone. I have collected 10 to 12 featherweight machines.I have one freearm and all the colors to be found of the older models. I don't care for the new featherweights and the wild colors.I also have the wooden table made just for the featherweights.

My frist was a huge price of $5.oo,found on the floor under and around junk in a resale shop.From that time on I was hooked.I have two GD which each get one and some day maybe soon others will go up for sale.

Archived