"BIG" Bobbin and new quilting feet

Originally posted by Katydids

Originally posted by oma

Me too, Linda, but when I do ruler work my ruler hangs up on the back of my foot. I can only use the ruler on the sides and the front. I was hoping a new foot would correct that problem.

Oma, there is a little hump on the back of your hopping foot, that is where it is welded together. You can take a dremel tool or small file and gently file that bump down. Make sure you place a rag between the foot and the throat plate so that no shavings get into the hook assembly. After this, you will be able to use rulers at the back of your current hopping foot.

Ok...Patty...when I get back from my trip I'm going to be brave and give this a try. It sure would make my life easier. I have so many rulers that I am not using because it frustrated me not to be able to get to the back.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by DawnCavanaugh

Janette,

You won't need to change the foot by retiming the hook each time, only the first time. The shaft of the interchangeable foot is in two pieces instead of one single piece as it is now. Once the two-piece foot is in, you will only change the bottom portion from foot to foot by removing two screws on the foot, slipping the new one in place, and tightening the screws again. It is similar to changing a screw- on foot on a domestic machine except that there are two screws on these feet due to the high speed nature of the machine. I am with you...I wouldn't want to retime my machine each time, either! :)

Hello Dawn,

I have been one of those want-a-be owners who will be ordering her machine in the next 45 days or so once my wonderful husband finishes my quilting room remodel. Will the new machines feet need to be changed out the same way or they already have the adjustment built in? Also, can you tell me when the M size bobbin option and optional feet sizes will be available with your purchase packages or should I hold off ordering a little bit longer until all the bugs are worked out and the necessary changes have been made to your new machines?

Dawn,

My machine was just in for a Spa treatment. Would it have gotten anything new other than the Glide, which I paid for -- like a newer model gear box and shaft.

I think it would be nice when doing a Spa treatment on a machine, to offer the option of anything that's new. You said machines shipped in May had some newer stuff. My machine was serviced at the end of June. If I had known about it, I would have asked for the upgrades at the time.

But perhaps they were replaced with newer versions during the treatment????

Originally posted by DawnCavanaugh

Janette,

You won't need to change the foot by retiming the hook each time, only the first time. The shaft of the interchangeable foot is in two pieces instead of one single piece as it is now. Once the two-piece foot is in, you will only change the bottom portion from foot to foot by removing two screws on the foot, slipping the new one in place, and tightening the screws again. It is similar to changing a screw- on foot on a domestic machine except that there are two screws on these feet due to the high speed nature of the machine. I am with you...I wouldn't want to retime my machine each time, either! :)

Thanks Dawn for that info. That is a relief. Although not keen on the retiming still - just a bit scared of that, perhaps I can time it with Marks service visit next year !!! LOL. I like the sound of the two part foot, it sounds like it will be very versatile.:)

Debi,

New machines ordered now do have the "interchangeable shaft" to accept the interchangeable feet. We have three feet already designed and at our machinist for final tooling. They should be ready in the next 30 days. In addition, the Big Bobbin machines should be ready during that same time frame. We are working now to update the literature that comes with each new machine to include both Big Bobbin and Smart Bobbin instructions, as well as info on changing the feet.

Georgene,

We always want to thoroughly test products before we debut them on the market. When your machine was in for its spa treatment, these two options were still in the incubation period in the engineering dept. The new gearbox began shipping with new machines in May. Its implementation allowed our engineers to start looking at other changes. However, the Big Bobbin and the Interchangeable Feet were not ready at that time until we completed our testing last week--if they would have failed in testing, we would not roll them out at all.

Replacing a gearbox is not a standard occurrence at the spa--it's only done when the gears are so worn that the gearbox needs replacement. Then it goes back to the machinist who removes and installs the new gearbox. We often re-pack the gearbox with grease during the evaluation of the gears during service, but do not automatically upgrade the gearbox if there is still lots of life left in it.

Since the two other options (Big bobbin and Foot) were still in development by the engineering department at the time your machine was here, we could not install them before we had completed testing and extensive sew-offs with them. (You wouldn't like me too much if we put them on your machine and then they didn't work:))

Your point is well taken, however, and we will work on alerting spa customers about available upgrades such as the interchangeable foot shaft once they are ready for debut.

• 2 months later...

The new feet available are a foot like the one currently standard on most machines only with an open toe.

The second one is a closed toe but not built up for ruler work. This foot is standard on George.

The 3rd foot available is the flatter foot with an open toe!!

APQS sure aims to please!!! These 3 feet are available from your local dealer or APQS directly for $200. Prices for indivdual feet are also available.

If your newer machine has 2 set screws in the back of the foot, you can use the interchangeable fee.

If you don't have the 2 set screws, you can retrofit your machine with a kit costing $137.50. This involves removing the hook assembly, moving the drive shaft back, replacing the needle bar and retiming the machine. You can send your machine to the factory for this retrofit for $175.00 + shipping. Some APQS dealers may perform this retrofit for you for the $137.50 kit plus a service call charge. That charge will depend on your area, distance from the deaelr etc.

I believe these feet etc are available now.

Originally posted by LadyLake

Will any of the new feet provide an even 1/4" of surface around the hopping foot, for ruler work? The current foot has a weld bump on the back, which limits the use of the full perimeter of the hopping foot for accurate ruler work.

Joan, if you take a dremel or similar tool, you can gently file down that hump. just cover your throat plate with a rag so no metal filings get into the hook. Then you can use your rulers at the back of the foot also. You don't need an "optional" ruler foot.

My hubby just installed the new interchangeable feet today. We only had to call the experts once with a question but otherwise had no problem. I am really looking forward to using the open toe foot so I can see what I'm doing. I decided against the big bobbin because I have such good tension on my Millie and I really don't mind filling the L bobbins.

Thank you for the tip, Patty. I wish that I had asked about this years ago! I've been putting up with that bump for a long time. I don't know what a dremel is, but somewhere along the line I bought a 'bastard' file, which I'm guessing is similar. I'll give it a try. I would like to suggest to APQS though, that the hopping foot be produced without the weld bump -- we are considered a company with a machine built well for art work and detail, after all. Thanks! :D

Hello Everyone!

I am working on getting some photos of the new feet ready for prime time...watch for them very, very soon. In addition, we will try to shoot some videos of them in action.

Joan, You'll still be able to use rulers with the open-toe high profile foot, just not along the front edge. The gang has already shared great advice for smoothing out that bump on the back of your current foot.

Lisa, the screws on the back of the foot do not interfere with the thread path at all. However, Liberty, Lenni, George and Discovery owners who may wish to switch to the interchangeable foot will need to send the machine back to the factory for a brief "spa treatment". On these machines the bushings that are in position on the current foot must be recessed slightly to allow those screws to clear the housing of the machine as the foot bounces up and down. This procedure is something that is really best done at the factory.

Look for those photos soon!

Archived