Ideas for Attic Window Pieced Backwards--Done w/ Photos

My customer gave me this quilt, which will be used as a bed scarf draping over the end of her bed. It is about 40" x 100". She noticed when she dropped it off that she pieced one long row of the attic windows blocks backwards, but said it doesn't matter. This eliminates the possibility for me to bring out the 3D effect with the quilting. So my question is, how should I quilt it? TIA!

post--13461906713743_thumb.jpg

Guest Linda S

Oh bummer! Did she not want to fix it because she'd lose her place in your rotation? It seems a shame to do all that work and then be okay with it having a big mistake. I'm sure it will be pretty when you're finished quilting it anyway!

Joan,

This may sound a bit "far out" but when you turn it sideways it looks like "ladders to the attic"! Since it's a runner it will most likely be viewed from the side more than the length. I'm not experienced enough to have a great quilting suggestion but perhaps looking at it sideways will give you a different perspective. Or, you can just say, Susan, are you crazy! And, I'll just pretend it's my DH talking to me! :D:D:D

Here is the attic windows quilt finished. Thank you to Heidi for suggesting feathers -- I think the backwards piecing looks fine. Actually, I had trouble at one point remembering which direction to make the feathers and goofed. Rather than taking it all out, I decided to go with the flow and began making the feathers freeform and varied, to go with the backwards piecing and feather directions. I would not have done this with a new customer, but this quilter is a regular and I knew she would enjoy the 'creativity.' I used "Inca Pink" Rainbows, a new one that I finally got to try out.

In the past, I would have taken the time to rip every wrong stitch out and redone it, however, I've learned to be easy on myself and learn tricks to make mistakes look like they are part of the design.

post--13461906719242_thumb.jpg

Okay, I'm going to be like Meg last night, "I love you guys!" Only you could find beauty in my quilted feathers. One thing I really like about the support from this forum, is that you are all always here and always supportive. A treasure-trove of quilty friends. Thank you !

Archived