HOW MUCH SHOULD I ASK????.....UPDATED....

I am in shock...........just had a call from a lady who saw my Bali Wedding Ring quilt at the State Fair asking if I would sell it ! Why SURE I would sell it for the right price.........now, I need your help...........what would be a good price to ask?

It is 89" square. I have a figure in mind, but would like your input to see how far off the mark I am or maybe I'm not!

HELP, PLEASE??? I'll attach another pic to refresh your memories.........Thanks!

<a  href=2660446930106538694S425x425Q85.jpg' alt=

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In my area it would be priced at no less than $800 - $1,000. I hope she knows how priceless a handmade quilt is because most people think between $100-200. It is very beautiful and I hope you set a price that would make you happy to receive for all your hard work.;)

Donna

APQS Liberty

My guestamate is around $1,200, but it would depend on the cost of your materials, how long it took to piece it, the density of your quilting/cost per sq inch (.05, or more?) and the cost per linear inch of your binding. Good quality fabric, thread and batting, combined with a completely hand made item = much more money than most people are willing to pay, but don't sell yourself short. They can always go back to Walmart if they want to pay for that quality. Although, many people don't really have a clue about the quality (or lack of quality) of the quilts. I used to work with a group of women who used to think that "homemade" meant it would be about half the cost of buying the item in the store.

Guest Linda S

I agree with the others on this. Not only is it a wonderful quilt in design and color, but your quilting on it is exquisite. I wouldn't part with it for less than $1200.

I think the $1000+ numbers are in the ballpark. And never call it "homemade"-- call it "custom crafted" or "artisanal" (like wine or bourbon!) or "one-of-a-kind-extra-special-never-before-seen-you-can't-believe-your-good-luck-in-having-a-chance-to-purchase-this" quilt!:P:P:P

I never kept track of the cost of fabrics or anything else because I was making it for me. I collected fabric fat quarters for months - that was fun ! Then I had to actually start working on it. It took the entire winter - not every single day, but quite steady. Linda R. I like your way of thinking !!! haha

I sent her some pictures and the exact size and told her I would get back to her with a price, as I was getting input from my quilting friends ...... You ARE helping, too. Thank you so much..............

Originally posted by srichardson

Linda,

The link below is for a kit for this quilt. The cost is $390 and does not include the backing or binding fabric! I have the pattern and it looks to be very labour intensive.

Sue

https://www.batiksplus.com/SuperStore/SuperStore-Assortment.asp?AssortmentID=346

Oh Thank You! That helps a lot. I even bought more of the papers to make mine a little bigger. I haven't seen the kit before - just the paper patterns for the piecing.

If this woman really wants to purchase your beloved quilt, then price it where you would not regret having sold it. I have sold lots of quilts and some of them I sold for less than I should have and I regret having done that...so now I make sure that the price is such that I would not have regrets;)

I took a Judy Niemeyer class and bought this pattern directly from her. I paid $50, I don't know if that is what others charge for it. That brings you to $440 for the kit and pattern. Then the extra papers you bought, the backing and binding fabric to add to that. Then your piecing and quilting time and supplies. This is really adding up quickly!

Sue

I would say to her "$3,000.00". I made a Yellow Brick Road for a customer, twin size for $1,000.00. If she counter offers, then you could drop $50.00 or $100.00. But that is where I would start. Your pattern alone is $30 - $40.00. Not to mention the time, the batik fabrics.

If you really want to sell it, keep the price lower. But it is a beautiful quilt that took alot of time. You should be paid accordingly.

Looking forward to hearing what you thought your price should be.

Originally posted by marycontrary

A friend who works in a quilt shop and has sold custom quilts many times gave me this rule of thumb -- take the cost of all your materials and double it. Don't know if this includes the quilting or if you should add that on. I think I would add it on.

I was just thinking about that very thing. I heard it from a crafter friend. I have figured I have $450 in materials and $400 for the quilting. So, I'm hovering around the $1500 price range.

I was offered $2000 for my wolf quilt (thread painted) and turned it down. The quilt wasn't for sale. I made it for a wolf center to hang in their lobby. It's only about 45 X 65 and the piecing was nothing! Your quilt was a lot of work and the fabrics are not cheap! I don't think I would part with this beauty for under $3000 and that may still be low! Of course, prices vary depending on the area. I think an appraisal is a good idea. Usually, they're only around $25-$50 around here.

Some people suffer sticker shock when you name a fair price (or even a really low price). They have no idea of the work or time put into a quilt. If I break down the pricing for fabrics, quilting and binding and subtract that from the total, then tell them how many hours I spent shopping for the fabrics, cutting, piecing, quilting, etc., and they figure out what I actually made per hour, it's still far less than they make per hour.

People are funny. I've had comments like, "Well, it's just sewing!", or "What do you use, GOLD THREAD!" When you think about the investment in tools, machines, training, etc., we probably invest as much money as their plumber, handyman, etc., and they pay a hefty price per hour for these services. Somehow, a lot of people just can't translate this.

The fact that she was so taken with your quilt as to contact you after the show may be a good indication that she does know and value the work you put into this beautiful quilt. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you! I hope you get a really good price!

Archived