HOW MUCH SHOULD I ASK????.....UPDATED....

Linda, your quilt it wonderful. I couldn't guess how much you should charge for this quilt. But I would love to make this myself someday. Can you tell me how hard this pattern is to sew? Is it all paper pieced with the rings sewn like a traditional wedding ring quilt? Are all the batik fabrics randomly sewn for rings or are they more uniform? I just don't know if it would be better to order their fabric or pick out my own colors? Thanks for any info. Kerri

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On a recent trip to Penn Dutch this quilt done in tans and browns was hanging in the General store as the "Featured Quilt". It was King Size and stunning. It was hand quilted and had poly batting and they were asking $1499.00. Even my husband said that's a steal! He commented on how much work it must have been.

I don't know if I could sell something as beautiful as that quilt!

Good luck!

KathyD

it probably took about 6-8 hours to cut?

Piecing took you 40-60 hours--if you piece fast ( if I really work hard, I can do a 4-5,000 piece queen in about 40 hours)

quilting took you another roughly 40 hours

I wouldn't part with it for less than $1500-1800---that is roughly $14-$17 per hour...still a really good deal for her, maybe not for you.

In the real world, someone good at their job makes $20-$40 per hour..don't sell yourself short.

I would start by asking her what she has in mind to pay for it. If she says $500 then the conversation is over. She may not have a clue of it's actual worth or value. On the other hand if she gets up in the $1500 range then you have room for negotiation. The price still needs to be higher, but you at least know that she does have a clue.

I would decide on a price this way. If you were to make a brand new one for her what would you charge her for it. That's where your supplies and labor comes in. The next question would be...are you willing to make another one. Now you have taken the emotional part out of it and made it a business decision.

I love your quilt. It's beautiful!

The first thought that came to mind was $1800. You have been given great advice. How much do you want for your quilt? Set a price where you wouldn't mind letting it go. DeLoa Jones told me a lady came back to her house three times to see a quilt that she said she'd sell for $1600, but the lady wouldn't pay her that. So DeLoa still has the quilt. She said that was the price she'd part with it.

Thank you all for such great advice...............I shot her a price of $1,500. I had an e-mail from her when I got home (before I quoted the price) and she thinks the 89" might be a bit small............she wants it for a full size bed and to hang over without dust ruffle. So, we will see after she goes home and measures and also after she picks herself up off the floor at seeing the the price............:P So, we will just wait and see. It's $1,500 or it stays with me. Either way, I am happy. :)

I would have your quilt appraised prior to selling, Linda. A quilt made from a popular quilt pattern in my area was appraised at $3,000 ten years ago -- and it has a similar number of pieces and size as yours, Linda. In addition, every time a quilt wins a ribbon, its value goes up. So winning the State Fair would greatly increase its value. My guess is your quilt may be appraised at upwards of $4-7,000. And, it will increase with time. Do you have relatives to pass the quilt on to in the future? Don't short sell yourself.

Would you rather sell it no matter how high you set the price or would you rather still have a wonderful work of art created by your own hands. Did you make it to make money or to have and enjoy? If you do sell it will you be willing to make it again for yourself?

Just some questions to ask yourself and think through :):)

I can see my suggestion of $1,200 was way too low for this master piece! This really helps me to understand the value of my own quilts. Dave & Jane did a similar "survey" to get suggestions for a price on one of their quilts. I grossly underpriced my suggested price for theirs, too.

I love reading the suggestions and advise from our members here. I learn so much!

I will be very surprised if she agrees to buy the quilt. She is supposed to get back to me tomorrow when she is at her computer at their business again. If she doesn't go for it, then I will keep it for myself and to pass along to DD someday.

NO, I don't think I ever want to make another one. At least not for a very long time.........:) I don't like to make the same pattern twice anyway - especially this one. Been there, done that...........ready for the next project.

I, too, was under estimating the value of it, as the first figure that popped into my head when she called was $850........boy was I off and so glad I didn't give her a quote then and there!!!! I have that much invested in the quilt in materials and my quilting! Some of you suggested upwards of $2,000 - 3,000 which might work in your areas, but not here in the Midwest. :( At least not in MOST of the midwest........

I was just at a Mennonite auction yesterday and they had several king size hand pieced, hand appliqued and hand quilted gorgeous quilts that the Mennonite women did and some that were Amish made for the 'English'.... the pricing was so incredibly low that I kept remarking to the lady sitting next to me that these prices were a 'steal' and her comment was...."I didn't know that these quilts were so darn expensive. I never thought that they would be selling for more than $100"... I told her just what it took to make a quilt like those and she was shocked. As we all know, the general public has no clue as to what goes into making a quilt no matter if it is machine or hand quilted, appliqued or pieced.

By the way, the highest bid on one of the quilts was $475!!

That's horrible.................all that handwork going so cheap. Well, I can't figure out WHY the Blue Ribbon cinnamon roll at the State Fair won $3,000.......a pen of 4 chickens brought $2,000........the President's Choice quilt got $50 ! Go figure............. That quilt was drop dead gorgeous, too..............UGH!

Well, the excitement of possibly selling my first quilt is over............my lady e-mailed this morning that the quilt was a bit too small to use as a BEDSPREAD !!!! She wasn't surprised by my price, but decided that was too much to pay for a quilt she wanted to USE!!! YIKES...........I almost wrote her last night to tell her I had changed my mind and the quilt wasn't for sale...........now I am so glad she decided not to buy it. I can't imagine that quilt being "USED" daily as a bedspread and then getting washed/dried,etc............So, it will remain with me and become an heirloom for our DD and DGDs. Maybe a hundred years from now someone will say "My Great, Great Grannie Linda made this quilt back in 2011 !" haha IF I use the quilt, it will be on a spare bed where it won't get soiled or spoiled and will be taken off if that bed is used !

I did write for info on possibly entering AQS shows sometime...........I got brave and went to State Fair, maybe I will be braver and try for a big show. :o:o:P

Thanks for all your help and your wonderful comments.

I'm glad you'll be keeping it! When I think about all of the quilts I've quilted and really only have one of my own to show for it - you'll be glad you kept it!

Definately go for the shows!!! You will love the excitement of seeing it hanging in a big show and a ribbon is just icing on the cake! Also, it is good to see judge's comments as I always learn something I can do better next time. There is just something about seeing your quilt hanging in a show that validates what you do!!!

I wrote to and received entry information from AQS for the 2012 season, I just might give it a shot ! As you say, reading judges comments is interesting. They did that at the State Fair, too.........enclosed the score sheet they used and any comments that were written by the judges.

I live in very rural MO and I have seen them go as low $10-$15. Some of them have went very high but none of them have went what they needed to go for. But at the same time if people know that it is a family member bidding on something they will stop bidding and let them have it. My Mom paid $25 for a quilt that needed finished and the shams that went with it (chicken scratch) that my Grandma made at her estate auction.

Guest Linda S

Good for you! Be proud that someone liked it enough to inquire about buying it and don't ever let it go for a penny less. In the meanwhile, enter it in more shows and go for the ribbons!

Archived