Using all the Tools

A customer brought me this perfectly pieced 35" x 35" wallhanging. It was so perfectly pieced, I was afraid to do much freehanding. I felt it needed to be very precise. It was actually a little scary for me. It's hard for us hand guided quilters to compete with the precision of the computer guided, UNLESS we have templates.

So, I used an R&S block template for the center and 4 corners. I used The Topper to create the circles in the middle block.

From the back of the machine, I used my Circle Lord Borders Template to create the swirls that fit perfectly in the 3" finished blocks.

And, so that I didn't have to turn the quilt, I used The Topper as a base (see last picture below) and clamped the CL Borders template sideways and stitched the side swirls using the CL Up Front sytem.

I did the inner border (ribbon candy) and outer border (meander) freehand, but I used Pounce Powder and Pam Clarke's line stencils to mark before I stitched the ribbon candy.

The customer picked it up today and loved it. This was the first quilt I had done for her. She says she has a larger one she will bring next time.

P.S. This was a challenge quilt. Customer said she had to do at least 3 different sizes of pinwheels. She did 4 or 5.

post--13461906997092_thumb.jpg

That quilt did need precision quilting and you nailed it. I like the imaginative way you were able to use that CL board. By the way...have to go look for that one because I don't recall seeing it before. Sometimes the quilting can take away from the simplicity and precision of the quilt itself and that certainly didn't happen here. The two are complimented beautifully. I call this "eye candy" and I love it. It's going into my favorite file.

I am computerized but I try not to make comparisons. It takes much more skill to do what you do than my computer work. I am impressed by the tools that you ladies use and how beautiful your quilts are with hand guiding tools. Sometimes I wish I had those tools and skills, then I get busy and draw my own. Georgene, the simplicity is splendid!

Archived