Returning Quilts

Hi,

I found this information on the forum before, here is the email address: PQC@VirginiaLongarm.com

The company is Virginia Longarm, and the bags are called Professional Quilt Carriers. They sent samples - there are different styles, and all have pockets for business cards and invoices. Very professional - I plan on using them once I get a good customer base going.

Hope that helps!

I use the white plastic garbage bag liners, too. But out of curiosity, I was looking around on ebay recently and found these:

I bought some Blue Jumbo Plastic Shopping Bags (size 17.5"x7"x32") which is plenty big to carry a large quilt. They're pretty cheap, too. You can get 50 bags for $8.00 plus shipping or 200 bags for $18.00 + shipping. I actually like these bags and will get more when I run out!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/50-17-5-x7-x32-Blue-Jumbo-Plastic-Shopping-Bags-/160651582034?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2567949a52

I have the bags from Virginia Longarm. I bought the squarish ones that zip on three sides and have handles (long enough to sling over my shoulder if I need my hands for other things. They have a business card pocket and an invoice pocket. I think you can (pay) have them print your company name and logo on them, but I bought them blank and embroidered "Darlington Quilts" on mine. I do have to say...I am tired of doing the embroidery and I think I may spring to have them print it for me. I bought the lime green bags and use purple embroidery thread for my name.

I only give one bag to a customer...at least, so far that's what I have done.

I also bought bought heavy plastic bags with build in handles in lime green, from U-Line. These go home with all quilts that do not get a fabric/non-woven bag.

I only have one more non-woven bag left and I am looking at either ordering the same bags again, or switching to a product I saw from another company that are cheaper. They are the non-woven tote bags - top is open. I could also have them printed. I prefer the zipped bags, but the totes are cheaper. Hummm...I need to make a decision soon. Oh, and the totes do not have a spot for your business card or an invoice, so they would need to be dropped inside the tote with the quilt.

I use U-line white paper bags with a handle. They are inexpensive and have a clean look.

NOT ONE of my customers cares what their quilt is delivered in! They are so excited to see the finished quilt, I have had them actually tear the bag down the side to get to the quilt! I imagine they would consider a "professional" bag to be a nice plus, but no one has ever complained about the nice white bag.

If you have a business and want a professional look, buy whatever appeals to you. Remember though, the cost of the bag comes directly out of your profits. Spending $4.25 each for a nice non-woven bag with perhaps your logo printed on it (for an extra charge) is a nice give-away for the first quilt from a new customer--with the mention that the bag is great to re-use to bring their next top in. One hundred bags for my one hundred customers every year will buy me a lot of thread! The bags I use are acceptable and cost $.57 each including shipping from Uline. And sometimes my customer will use them again. If I wasn't so lazy, I would order a pretty stamp to put my business name on the bag! :P

If the customer brings their top in a nice Nordstrom's bag or reusable grocery non-woven, they get it back in that. If the top is in a garbage bag or JoAnns bag, that gets returned with everything in the white paper bag. Hey, I just figured out that my cheapness....er...frugality lines up with the whole re-use/recycle trend! ;):P

If the weather is nice, I don't use any bag at all. But if they do want something I usually use a white garbage bag. I'm always worried though, as people tend to throw garbage bags away or misplace them. The white ones are less likely to see that outcome, but I still worry about it on occasion. I never put my own stuff in them, for that reason. I kind of like the idea of one bag per customer to bring them back and forth in, but wonder how many of my customers would do this. I may try to order 25 and see how it works that way it's not a huge investment, and if it's a good thing, I can order more. I like the idea of having a pocket to put the invoice in and a business card too.

I just found this on eBay. They look interesting, but no 'handle'. Of course, the cost to ship to Canada will make these $1.38 each, but I was thinking of giving one to each of my customers (I only have 30 customers, but they are repeats and prolific!) and ask them to return it when they bring in their next quilt. Maybe I'll even print their name on their bag. Or, they can purchase additional bags as needed. Does anyone use these vinyl type storage bags?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/36-X-Large-Clear-Quilt-Comforter-Storage-Bags-22x18-x6-/290611146668?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a9c62fac

I too use clear garbage bags -- the medium size (with tie handles) or the large size, depending on the size of the quilt. I'd never use opaque ones, no matter what colour, because there is a real risk of confusing a bag containing a quilt with one containing garbage. With the clear bags, there's no possibility of that happening.

I did use custom bags for a while, but that's quite expensive. The invoice, a copy of Country Register and a business card can do the same job in a clear bag.

Barbara

I'm odd-man-out here. A long time ago I was told to not store my quilts in plastic bags. And then I noticed that my quilter returned my quilts in white plastic trash bags. Now I understand the logic, somewhat...the white plastic bag is large and will protect it while being stored at her home, transported in her car, etc. I just find it a bit unsettling to see quilts nicely folded then put into a trash bag, with the top knotted. So now, I return all my customer quilts in a new white or beige kraft bag. I'm trying different ones to see which ones hold up the best. Also looking at canvas-type bags which can be personalized with business logo. I just don't care for the white plastic trash bag idea. I just want to treat these beautiful quilts with respect and dignity.

When I was in business I bought clear, square plastic bags with zippers from Cleaners Supply. They are cheap, look professional have a cloth type side for breathing. I will double check the company name. They come in different sizes too. Most of the time I used medium or small bags, rarely the large ones.

I too use the clear plastic bags from Costco and just slip my invoice in face up with the quilt. However, I have also recently bought a stand and have the finished quilt on display so when the customer comes for pickup they get the whole view of the finished product. Linda is right, they are usually so excited to see the quilt they really don't notice what it goes home in as long as it gets home clean and dry. And the expense is really low which means more $ per hour for me. I heard of a horror story once of someone that used a white or black plastic garbage bag and their well meaning spouse put the bags out on the curb and the garbage men took them....so that's why I use clear bags.

Thanks everyone for all your responses, I have lots to think about, something that struck home for me is the less expensive the bag the more "toys" I can buy!! Going to go look at all the sites you have suggested and then make a decision, was worried about the white garbage bags, afraid someone would throw their quilt away thinking it was garbage, maybe the clear bags are a good alternative.

Originally posted by ffq-lar

I use U-line white paper bags with a handle. They are inexpensive and have a clean look.

I switched to the white U-Line bags this past year. Four of us ordered together, to get a better volume discount. I staple my business card on the outside by the handle. I decided to switch to paper, as my nod to "bein' green."

I have gone to the local dry cleaners and bought bags from them. I usually buy them 20 at a time, bring them home and roll them on to an empty cardboard fabric bolt. The shirt size works well. I have noticed that I can buy them really reasonable from CTUSA.com, I just haven't ran out yet. Each time I have looked they have had free shipping

I also get the dry cleaner's breathable blanket bags from Cleaners Supply just like Cheryl. They open up to 15 x 18 x 9, and sell for about $9.50 a dozen.

I have some of the smaller ones for baby quilts or lap quilts. But by the time I put the scraps from trimming into the bag, most quilts need the larger size.

My customers seem to like them, and there's a handle on the top so that is quite helpful too.

I"m not good at links, but the websight is www.cleanerssupply.com and you are looking for blanket bags ;)

• 5 months later...

I use the comforter bags from Cleaner's Supply. After we have looked at the finished quilt, Ms. customer writes her check & I refold her quilt and tuck it in the bag. Her trimmings and receipt are already in there. There is a handle on the top so I can hand it off to her and she is on her way. They are usually suprised and pleased about the bag, and it does make carrying it to the car easier.

I need to get some of the smaller sizes for baby quilts or lap quilts though. They usually have them on sale in October each year, so I try to time my reordering for then.

Archived