Fall Changes?

Summer seemed to take forever to get here and then made up for it with a blast furnace in most of the USA. Have any of you noted changes that tell you fall is on the way? Our nights got into the upper 20s last week and the evenings are getting cooler. Just a few leaves are beginning to turn. I saw one small group of geese heading south.

A sure sign of spring in Duluth is the annual fall bird migration. The birds come from Canada and ride the thermols created by the hills next to Lake Superior. In Duluth, we have what is called, "Hawk Ridge", and there is an annual hawk count, plus educators on site and scopes to look through for bird identification.

Being next to Lake Superior, which stays in the 40s year round, Duluth has cooler springs and warmer falls, than those that live 'over the hill.'

Another sign of fall for me, is that my dogs get perkier. :)

The lows here are also in the 50's at night and day temps in the 80's are due to come back.. A lot of trees are turning. We've seen some dogwood that have gone past the red leaf stage into a brownish.. They will drop in a couple weeks. Some of the oak are turning.. There is one in the yard, already dropping leaves.

Haven't had the smell of fall yet... that is the best part.. People rake leaves into the road ditches and burn them there. Love the smoke smell.. can't breathe too much of it..

When I was in Canada, it had gone decidedly cool - highs in the low 60's (f) and the tips of the trees were just starting to change in colour. Now I'm down in Texas, and they *tell* me it's cooler than it was, but I'm not sure if I believe that highs of 104 are cooler than anything but the surface of the sun.

This is one of the most beautiful mornings we've had in a long time! It's clear, blue sky, sunshine, about 72 degrees, nice cool breeze, and a little feeling of the maritime climate...fresh from the rain we had this weekend, no dust for the morning at least...some of my shrubs are turning bronze on the tips, my maples are red at the top, hollyhocks have ripe seed pods as do the coneflowers...but No nuts on the ground yet. I just love this time of year! The turning of the leaves...yum:D

Staying in the 40s for overnight lows and upper 60s/lows 70s for daytime highs. Leaves are starting to turn and the harvest is underway........some of the apples are ready in the orchard. The squirrels are scurrying around burying their acorns and walnuts. Windows open a lot of the time enjoying the crisp air............I sleep better !!! haha

We've fallen into the upper 30s on this side of the divide (Willamette Valley) and some of the trees are starting to change. And, of course, we've finally had a bit of rain (not much) for the first time in 2 months. I've been so cold in the morning lately that I've put toe warmers in my slippers. I just can't bring myself to turn on the furnace just yet!

Well I'd have to say that the change in the weather arrived this morning. I was outside at 6:30 this morning and it was comfortable out there even though I was still in my jammies. Was just on the porch to sign for a UPS package and , my goodness, it is definitely much cooler now. I'll be grabbing a jacket when I run out this afternoon on errands. Some leaves are changing here and I look for it to be a quick fall. But I do love these cooler days. Better stop at the grocery for some pumpkin pie fixings.

Sally

Archived