What do you use?

What do you use to keep the clamps from getting into the machine when you get to close to the side? Is there something that slides up and over the base so it doesn't stop the machine when you are doing pantos in the back. Hope I explained it good enough for you to understand what I am talking about!!!

Guest Linda S

There are a number of things you can use to clamp the clamps to on the side of your quilts. Some folks use featherlight clamps, some use Renae Haddadin's Red Edge clamps, some use Oxo Good Grips Chip Bag clips, etc. I just have parts of an old Qsnap frame on the sides of my quilts with a cord that keeps the big heavy clamps away from the sides of my quilts, along with the curtain rods.

post--13461907553078_thumb.jpg

I pin an extension on the backing (does not take to long to move it with each advance, but I do grumble a bit when I have to do it)....better than bummping into the base. Made with a fat quarter of left over fabric -- pocket for dowel on one long side.

Sharon Shamber shows how to make one in one of her you-tube videos

starts at 3:02

post--13461907553171_thumb.jpg

I use 2 x 6" lengths of webbing tape, pinned to the backing by the short end and grip the other end with the clamp, combined with a stick to hold it up it works well and only 2 pins to move, I only do this if the backing is too short to clear the machine base, so it's not all the time and usually only the left side needs it.

Lynne me too! I went to the scrap pile in hubbys garage and found a piece of wood that would fit across the rails, told hubby to rip it for me to measure 1 X1 x18...he thought I was crazy....but it works! I also pin the elastic to backing fabric if I have less than 2 inches excess batting and backing off the quilt top. Learned that trick from Dawn.....;-)

I recyled a piece of PVC type tubing that I got with a roll of fabric or batting (can't remember which) and notched out two chunks on the bottom to match where my bars cross. It's like the curtain rod concept but I don't have to worry about scratching and they roll along with the bars as I advance the quilt. I made my first ones out of the cardboard rolls but they eventually wore out.

Ginny, I do the curtain rod trick too. I put a piece of fusible velcro on the bottom of my curtain rods so that they don't scratch my rails......the soft half of the velcro, not the loops, and it works great. I have also found that if the backing on the quilt is not very wide, so that you don't have much excess on each side, that my extended base will hit the clamps. As long as I have a large enough backing, with using the curtain rods a little closer to the quilt, there's no problem with hitting the clamps.

Archived