Heavy storms in Midwest and Iowa last night

We fared OK where we are, but there is heavy damage from a tornado in Creston, Iowa which is only about an hour West of us. It was a huge, nasty storm cell that went through. We had some nickel size hail for a few minutes, but very little wind. Now under a wind advisory for today. How did other Midwesterners fair ? Hope everyone made it through OK.

For the most part, we are OK in the Des Moines Metro area. There was some damage in Valley Junction -- roofs blown off and a few windows blown out -- but no one hurt that I know of. In Bondurant (just east of Ankeny) we had mostly heavy rain, no hail, and a short period of high winds that sent us to the basement. The worst blew through to the south of us -- Creston, Osceola, Oskaloosa. I'm hearing that a small town called Thurman was badly damaged.

We had all the wind and blowing dirt yesterday, sky was a nasty brown, hope it dies off some before it gets to Iowa, lots of good people there and APQS. It is rather cool today, I don't like such drastic temperature changes from one day to the next..never know how to dress!!, turn on AC yesterday in studio, need heater a bit today.

We had the sirens go off 4 times last nite.

Funnel clouds above us that only touched down outside of Lincoln. We made it thru with some heavy rain, the streets looked like a river, and small hail in the northern part of Lincoln only. The rest blew past us, so we scathed out with just the 4 warnings. The suckers never did completely touch the ground! THANK YOU LORD!

Thurman is 75% gone and located way down in SW Iowa - near Nebraska/Missouri borders. We got lucky here. We have some friends in Kansas and I e-mailed to see if they are OK. Haven't heard from them yet. Now we have very strong winds - 35 - 40 MPH with gusts over 60 MPH. Sure glad I don't have to go out or drive anywhere today. The truckers are probably having quite a time on the East/West roads.

Our area of northeast Iowa made it thru yesterday (Sunday) with no rain or storms, but very strong winds that are still blowing this morning. A nice gentle 1.5 inches of needed rain on Saturday, but no storms. Everyone here gets edgy when the forecasters start saying the possible "T" word. Especially when they started in a couple of days in advance like they did for this storm system. There are a lot of people here who used to go out and watch the storm from the deck who are now in the basement at the first dark cloud. Guess an EF5 will do that to you.

Archived