Edge to Edge - where to stop?

I believe this was in the most recent On Track magazine, referring to "robotic" quilting.... article named Creating Computerized Quilts for Competition.  Paragraph reads:  "If you are entering a quilt with edge to edge quilting in competition, you may need to creatively edit the pattern to end before the binding."

Evidently there is conversation going on about how to catagorize 'robotic' quilting ... hmmm ... it will be interesting, won't it? 

I can see the stitches not going off the edge for a computer guided competition quilt because it would show a greater level of skill. I guess a pantograph not going off the edge would also show a greater level of skill for the judges. I do like going off the edge for an everyday quilt to secure the stitching under the binding. You never know with the judging thing!

Unless I am putting a panto into a center of the quilt and doing a different design in the borders, I run the panto off the quilt - sides and top and bottom. I prefer the look of panto going under the binding and I feel the binding secures the stitches. I am computerized and would never think of stopping before the edge.

In one of the first books I purchased when I started longarm quilting it said to stop just inside the 1/4" that would be bound.  Just inside the 1/4" as in enough that the binding being sewn on would secure the stitches but the remaining 1/4" would not be flattened by quilting.  That way the binding would be filled nicely.  That was, and is, the only time I saw it referenced, and I have no idea what book it was. It just stuck in my head and this topic triggered it. :)  I, too, stitch all the way and they look fine that way, I think.

*sarcasm alert*

It's called "edge to edge" not "stitch it right up to but not over the edge so you can attach the binding but if you're off even a little bit or if the customer trims the quilt top to square it, it's gonna look horrible".

Sorry-I couldn't resist.  :D

Remember, there are no quilt police. Techniques vary around the country/world. Do what works for you and what looks best.

I'm having trouble picturing this. How would they know where the stitches end if it's under the binding anyway? As to how it affects the fullness of the binding to have stitches go off the edge completely or to stop 1/4 inch in from the edge...can't picture that being a problem either way. If the binding isn't full but it lies straight, just put a little thin strip of batting in as you sew it down. Oh, wait! I better find out if old x-ray eyes can see that too! :o

Debbie

As a 'robotic quilter' ..I kind of like that! lol ...I personally would think stopping anywhere short of the edge would give the quilt an 'unfinished' look. Like it was a mistake and you didn't take the pattern all the way to the edge. E2E patterns end each panto row with a continuous line, not leaving an open end to the quilting. It will actually sew a line cutting the last shape of the row in half- more or less abruptly ending the quilting. Now, when I am stitching a particular border pattern I will leave 1/3" from the edge so the binding will not cover it. But in E2E quilting it would be a LOT of work to stop and tie off busy patterns if you didn't want to cover it with binding  :blink:

I'm a little confused. But that's nothing new lol!

Are we suggesting that stitching that has gone off the edge and not been secured will be magically secured by the binding stitch crossing it perpendicularly? I don't think so. Not unless your binding stitch is really tiny. I was called on this once years ago by a client and she showed me by scratching at the last few stitches travelling under the binding and they nearly ALL came loose. 

I now recommend using a really small stitch to attach binding or lock every stop and start into my basting stitch. As a general rule, I never trim a stitching line and I leave my basting stitches under my bindings. But that's just me. 

Archived