Cut threads

I don't have many problems with loose threads from starts and stops. I pull the threads to the top, do some locking stitches, and cut them at the quilt surface. Depending on the quilt, I may tie and bury the threads rather than doing the locking stitches. If I have an occasional loose thread on the back I will bury that thread, and possibly put a dot of fray check on the spot, but on dark colors it may make a white spot on the fabric, so be careful.

The most recent wonderful item I have found for removing threads from frogging is a pet hair remover I got at Walmart. It is oval in shape, with a lot of little fingers that grab the thread. It looks like a small scrub brush, and does a wonderful job. I read about it either on this forum or another one. Its the best I have found for removing the little thread bits, and I've tried a lot of them. I found it in two location in the store...the pet aisle, and the ironing board aisle.

Sorry, I didn't explain my questions very well. I typically tie the threads and bury them, but what them. Do I toss them on the floor, try to hit the garbage, put them on the extra batting at the end of he quilt? And then the short threads I haves removed when frogging. When I piece, I chain my pieces together, so stray threads are minimal and I have an handy waste basket, but I haven't come up with a good system for when I'm quilting with Millie, especially when the batting is hanging all the way too the floor in the front. I tried wearing an apron with a pocket for threads and didn't like that option. Maybe another apron style. Just looking for ideas. Thanks for your help.

Linda Taylor pins a chunk of batting to her shoulder area, then sticks the threads there. At the end of the session, you just unpin and throw it out. I generally just throw mine on the floor and sweep up later. But, yes, they can stick to the batting that hangs on the floor. I made a batting sling to keep the batting off the floor....just a length of muslin with ties to attach to the frame. Its not a perfect solution, but works OK. Longer pieces of thread are put in the trash can as I go along. For the frogged bits, the pet hair thing works great. It balls them up and you throw away the little wad of threads.

I use side leaders and usually put them there out of the way until I'm ready to advance the quilt.  I usually have a nice little pile of threads by the time I'm ready to move on!  Of course I avoid ripping as much as possible...but when I have to, I keep painters tape or masking tape handy and wrap a little around my fingers and swipe it over any loose threads I missed so my fingers don't go numb trying to grap all those little threads.  Also nice if you have pets - pick up any stray hairs before quilting them into your quilt top!  ;)

I have a small collapsible bin that I set on the front of the leveling roller.  I keep it within arms reach.as I quilt along, or on the cedar chest behind me if I only start or stop at the edges  of the quilt. It is very light weight and captures most of the mess.

Some people put a coffee filter over the metal piece sticking out of the top of the machine.  I use painters tape on the back of a scrap piece of batting and tape to the leaders of the quilt top bar as I float my quilts.  Also use scrap batting for dusting etc.  I cut up the excess side pieces of batting when I trim a quilt.  I always add 4 " to either side.  As for frogging pieces, I have one of the sticky roller things and I run that over the top and back of the quilt to pick up whatever strays there may be.

I also swipe a clean toilet brush over the carpet to pick up strays I might have land on the floor.  Much easier than cleaning the vacuum!

My quilter (pre my owning a Millie) used to put her threads on her shoulder.  I didn't realize it and was going to pick a thread or two off her shoulder and she stopped me saying she saved them each day and then put them outside for the birds to make their nests.  I, too, still haven't come up with a good system, but I like the idea of a thread catcher hanging on to my machine.  I will give that one a try. 

I keep a small waste basket on the floor directly behind me, so I do my best to aim for that thing. Any stray threads that don't hit the trash can fall on the floor and get sucked up by the vacuum when I'm done. I have a tiny handy little vacuum that I run across the floor numerous times before I load, before I remove... and often in between.

I'm a coffee-filter-taped-to-the-machine girl. It's painter's-taped to the left side and I'm so used to it that when I'm quilting on a friends machine, I automatically reach for "my" scissors on the top laser post and drop my thread snippets in an invisible coffee filter!

Maybe TMI, but I save those clippings in a baggie for an artsy quilter friend and she uses then on her postcards and creative quilty-art.

I toss.  A lot. I like it. I own it now.   I used to be embarrassed by it.
It's messy, but the threads blend into my carpet.   :lol:     I toss with attitude, it helps me feel 'in the zone', it feels good to toss, kind of rebellious.   :lol:    I have  tried several methods including little 'bins' everywhere.   I think it looks even messier and cluttered with all of those thread catchers everywhere.   I have one garbage can by my machine, and I'll use it if I think of it, such as when I'm rethreading my machine, etc.  

At the end of my session,  I use a toilet brush (I think I read that suggestion here on the forums)  and brush up the threads.  Works really well.    My vacuum thanks me.  

Loose threads and tidbits from frogging -  yes, a silicone spatula works wonders!  swipe it all away and toss them to the floor....and then use my toilet brush to sweep them up after.

By the way, the toilet brush works wonders on all the threads of your design wall as well!

I've tried most techniques, but for me a custom made Apron works best. Mine has 5 pockets.

The small pocket on the left side, then a wide pocket that I can easily put my hand/thread snips in

and then two more pockets, hand size, and last 2-3 very slender pockets to hold a pencil and markers.

It works the best, and when I'm sewing, or quilting, I always reach for the pocket.

Rita.

• 3 weeks later...

I use a paper bowl (paper plates) for my threads.  I stick it on the top of my machine with painter's tape.  I actually keep them by my domestic machine or cutting mat and empty as needed.  It takes up very little space and easy to deposit into my larger trash can on the floor.

Beth

P.S.  I was in town yesterday at a quilt shop where she actually has/had her 2 cats.  I asked what happened to one of the cats and they had to put her down because she'd eaten thread which wound around her intestines and caused an infection.  If this can happen to cats, of which I don't have, it can also happen to dogs, of which I have 2.  So, lesson is to always keep our threads out of their reach.

AKA  Booger (basset) and Ruby's (cattle dog)  mom

Archived