Big blue and white quilt

Here's the latest off the frame. It's a big blue and white quilt destined for a bed. The large white blocks were 16" square which is a challenge, especially on-point. I used designs I learned in a class at MQX taught by Sue Heinz. If you ever see her name, jump on the opportunity to take a class from her. We (another Moxie and I) are working with a well-known LQS to host her for classes. If this happens, I will post details here.

I followed the cathedral window design in the border fabric and it worked well. Sometimes the fabric does the work for you!

My customer was very happy. Arrow when you get to the Flickr link to see a detail shot.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/larech/12111934264/

Thanks Miss Dell! I added another detail shot. 

http://www.flickr.com/photos/larech/12112056563/

If you go to full screen I think you can make out the design better. What Sue teaches is to take all those sashing designs you already have in your head and use them in a circular format. You mark a circle and divide it into eighths. Them you fill each wedge with the same design--either positioning them all the same for a swirling design, or mirroring them so you get a more geometric design. That's what I did. Then you mark another ring outside the quilted area and fill that with a like design. You can fill in the corners with echos or something that matches. It's a brilliant technique and there are so many designs you can use. Sue has a website and sells a great set of design books. I highly recommend her and her publications.

Wool batting in this quilt accentuated the padded ring between the two areas in the white blocks. My customer was impressed!

Thanks for your great comments!

You want to watch me quilt? Here's a normal quilting day for me--

Turn on lights, A/C or heat, the machine and some music. Put the bobbin case in my pocket (or bra). Don't laugh! I'm warming it up as well! I find a "cold case" has different tension than a warm one! Yes, I'm a dork.

Oil the wicks if needed, warm up the machine and wipe down the table if needed.

Usually I load the next quilt right after I hang the previous one. It pushes me to start right in.

Stare at the quilt. Maybe stare some more.

Draw a possible design or two on paper.

Mark the chosen design on the top both to see how it looks and to warm me up as well.

Apply thread lube to the bobbin thread and set the tension with a Towa gauge, and apply thread lube to the cone of thread. Test the tension by stitching off the top.

Start. Check the design and the back for tension issues. Continue.

If I'm stuck on a design for a certain area I'll leave it until last, hoping for inspiration to strike. Sometimes it strikes and sometimes I realize that the rest of the quilting needs to be balanced by some simple quilting in those areas and I'm glad I left them for last. And sometimes sleeping on it give me time to ponder and something great rises to the surface of my brain. And sometimes I finish the quilt and then the perfect design surfaces in my brain. Rats! Happens all the time!

Where do I get my ideas? I look at quilts all the time. I prowl blogs, Pinterest, this forum, I take classes, buy books, and find designs in the weirdest places. Of all my quilting I imagine I've come up with maybe four original designs. Really! (At least I think they're original! I've never seen them before anyway.) All the rest that I do are not original. But they may be an original combination of several designs or techniques. 

Take photos of all your efforts so you can refer back. Keep a notebook of drawn designs. Bookmark your favorite quilters. Look at the winners of various shows--that's where the latest and the greatest designs come from. Don't spend a lot of energy sighing over intricate show quilts and regret that you "can't" quilt like that. You quilt like you and no one else can do that. I'm not a show quilter because my heart isn't in it. There's no fire in me to win ribbons. But the smiles on my customers faces show me that I'm where I want and need to be. And your comments are icing on the cake! Thank you!

I love this quilt I too have too check out anything I see your name on I love your work and value your advice It always lifts me up.  I am trying to start a quilting library this summer and would love to take classes but just never get the chance.  I can't seem to find any in Missouri.  Maybe some day :mellow: .

Linda, it is absolutely lovely!  No wonder your customer is smiling!  We can always count on you to take a quilt to the next level.  :)

I totally agree with you about Sue Heinz.  I had the opportunity to take her class last March when we hosted her for our longarm guild meeting.  I bought two of her design books and refer to them regulary.  The class was a 3 hour drawing class and I felt like I learned so much from her.  Plus she is very entertaining so it keeps a person interested in paying attention to what she's saying too.  :P  She had oodles of samples that she passed around for us to look at that she had quilted blocks using her different sashing designs.  All I can say is WOW.  So if any of you have the opportunity to take one of her classes, I would highly recommend it!  :)

Archived