Sampler from 1880 reproduced--finished pictures

Skip to the bottom for a condensed version--

In 1880 Barbara Bucher Snyder made a sampler quilt with 72 different small pieced blocks. (Google her name to view the original.)

Predominant colors were pink, dark brown/black, yellow, and various scraps of bright colors used in the blocks.

The quilt was in the Lancaster PA Quilt and Textile Museum on display several years ago. My customer made an almost exact reproduction of this quilt using some vintage fabric and close reproduction fabric. Then she brought me not-very-clear photos of the original and asked for the quilting to be reproduced as closely as possible. Okay... :wacko:  

Follow the Flickr link for a full shot and arrow right for a detail.

For those interested--the batting was 80/20, threads were BL and SoFine brown, pink, yellow, and Essence invisible. The cable in the border was done with a stencil Dennis made for me with a matching smaller version in the pink sashings. Crosshatched first and third borders, miles of SID and a bit of CC's in the sampler blocks. I matched the vintage quilting lines from what I could see and guessed at the rest. Way too many hours, way too little charged, never again! I told her I would charge by the hour since it was so challenging and I still couldn't bring myself to charge that much. Thanks for looking!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/larech/13945837859/

***  tl;dr (too long;didn't read) synopsis-- vintage top reproduced with hopes of having the quilting reproduced as well. Yikes! Underpaid, but my own fault!***

Dennis makes them from tough plastic sheets after I give him something he can scan and digitize. It's cut with his CG laser.

He'll make custom stencils if you send him the line drawings.

This cable was continuous to stitch, marked with a purple air-erase marker and stitched on the marks. I needed two sizes of the cable, so I drew the cable to fit the sashing block and Dennis then enlarged it for the border. I measured the distance of the border, divided by the number of cable links I wanted, and he cut the stencil to that size. My only problem was that two opposite borders weren't exactly the same length, so I had to fudge one side a half-inch longer.

Linda, what a beautiful job you did on this quilt. It is fantastic. I love that your husband helps you. Mine does too, mechanic/woodworker making me wood templates, wood rods, anything I can think of, he comes up with a finished product; and does the heavy maintenance on my machine.

Yes, fantastic job!  When you say line drawing for the stencils, do you mean drawn on paper or some sort of computer generated line drawing?

Hand-drawn is fine, but he needs something sharply drawn that can be scanned. He can do some adjusting when it's digitized, but wouldn't want to spend a lot of time cleaning it up. 

Oh my friend, that is beautiful. Your flicker account is full of jaw  dropping gorgeous eye candy. I spent a very long time there drooling. Sure wish I had your imagination and talent. Thank yo ufor sharing with us all.

Archived