What happens when...? a thought

you have your stitch regulator on and you exceed the 3500 s.p.m  limit?    I was doing some large and fast quilting today, and thought...hmm...how much faster could I go?  What would happen?  Would stitch quality get larger, etc?   Would the machine shake sputter and lift off??

I didn't want to try, because I was stitching on a client quilt. 

LOL

Has anyone tested the limits of the 3500 spm?

I do far too much thinking and solving life's problems while quilting!!

A cautionary tale...

My first year with my Millie and a friend comes to try it out. She is stitching like her hair's on fire and I let her know that growling sound is the machine complaining and she needs to slow down.She slows down until I leave to get us drinks and then proceeds to over-run the SR, make a nest underneath, continues dragging to overcome the "resistance" and pulls the needle so hard into the hook that the hook literally breaks! The needle bar needed adjusting, the bobbin assembly replaced, and my first session of timing. She paid for all replacement parts and was ashamed. Needless to say, I seldom let anyone push my machine around!

I always tell my friends just because your car will go 120 mph doesn't mean you drive it that fast. It's the same with our machines, bad things will happen :( like Linda's friend found out. I haven't let anyone else use my Millie but me and if I let anyone else use her, I will have them take a "get fimiliar" class from me so they learn how to operate her. After all she is my baby :) And there is a leaning curve that we all have to get past and it just takes time. Linda I'm sorry someone pushed the limits on your machine, in my humble opinion that was kinda rude especially since she did it when you went out of the room. I'm glad you were able to get your machine fixed :)

Linda,

Have a cousin who wanted to use my machine.  Kept telling her to slow down, but that would last maybe a minute and then she is back to "Miss Speedy" again.    Have been thinking how I was going to handle it the next time she comes to visit.  Will just let her read your post and hopefully that will solve my problem.  THANKS1

Marilyn

Andrea:  I don't think the stitch regulator can handle anything near 3500 spm.  As Linda indicated, stitch length would be affected, and you'd have the needle catching on the fabric and possibly breaking.  Stitch at a pace that suits you.  Don't test the limits of the machine.  Bad things can happen.  Jim

The older machines did have a red light that would flash if you stitched faster than the regulator would handle - I haven't seen one on the newer machines.  From my own experience at shows, overrunning the stitch regulator makes for longer, uneven stitches, but I haven't had anyone damage anything doing so - knock on wood!!  That being said, when someone is running the machine so fast that it might overrun, I stay very close at hand, especially with young boys!!!

My only question is, "WHY?"  Why would you ever want to over-stress your machine like that?  Why do you need to find out?  Have you got too much testosterone in your blood?  I am a slow quilter.  I believe in being careful and accurate.  Pushing the machine to its speed limits is just silly in my book.

I totally get the "why". I tend to go a bit fast, especially when doing pantographs. I just seems like the momentum helps me make smoother lines and curves, especially if they are long and sweeping. On the other hand, I've been accused of having a lead foot since I was 15, apparently it translates to sewing, too! :D  :D  :D

I quilt 90 mph with my hair on fire all the time.  I've quilted on just about every other brand of machine and easily outrun the s.r.'s.  My millie occasionally complains and flashes a red light at me.  I set it to 12-14 stitches per inch and go.  It's vary rare that it does not keep up with me (which is one of the reasons I love it).  Just the occasional flash to let me know I'm really pushing it. 

I am a faster quilter.  I find that my curves and my shapes tend to be more uniform if I do so.  I am not a reckless driver.   ;-)

When I do a meander, water design, wood grain,  big swirls, line quilting  I can increase my speed because it is a more freeform design.  As I was doing my swirls, I started thinking what would happen if I went even faster.  Is there a light, a bell,  a stitch skip, etc.   ?

thank you for the replies.  Happy Stitching,  turtle or rabbit speed!  LOL

• 3 weeks later...

I thought I would re-visit this topic because I finally realized that I do exceed the speed limit when I do free hand over alls. The red light was flashing at me all afternoon! I guess I don't pay much attention to the red light since I am concentrating on on quilting the design. I am just very glad that I chose an APQS Millennium. After using different brands at quilt shows for classes, I know a lot of them wouldn't be able to keep up with me. I seem to be smoother when I quilt fast!

Archived