my new favorite customers

You\'re going to love this. It\'s two sisters-in-law, who manage their family-owned funeral business. They have to be on call all the time, but their business, though steady, is slow, so I guess they were bored, & decided to take up quilting. Apparently there are few walk-ins in the funeral business, so they have turned the funeral parlor into a huge sewing room. Believe me, we would all envy the space. They started about a month ago, & they are now buying fabric by the bolt. I am now on their second queen-size quilt, and they are on their third. Simple, but cute, & I think they are real addicts. I will post a photo when I\'m done.

Ouch! Thanks Barb, your package came today. I haven\'t tried it yet, but will tomorrow. It has become clear to me that most of my problems are caused by going too fast. But heck, I LIKE to go fast, that\'s why I bought this machine. At 64, I think I am too old to learn a new trick like patience! I will probably be my gals\' next customer, at this rate. Aloha, C

I have to tell you that I used to work for a funeral home,

(writing up pre-planned funeral insurance policys)

and we had some pretty funny inside jokes, "buisness sure

is dead" etc. Some of the nicest group of people, very caring

& professional. I am glad there are people in this world that can do this job

because it sure wasn\'t something I could do! :)

Girls if any of you are single & "looking" these guys make a

a VERY nice living!!!! :)

Linda A - a loooonnnnngg time ago, I dated a mortician (before my Bill came along) and this sounds really sick, but he used to bring me flowers that were left at the funeral parlor as he hated to see them go to waste!!!! I wasn\'t smart enough to be ticked off! I put them in a vase and enjoyed them!:D

I think I could work in a funeral parlor...as bad as it sounds, I like trying to help people through a time like that. I worked in the sound department at a mega church in our area. It was my job to set up the sound system - it was a huge sound board so all I could really do was pop in the cd and turn on the power. And...thank the Good Lord when everything worked like it was suppose to.

We had a funeral for a member of a motorcycle gang. There were some really rough characters from all over - "Hell\'s Angels", etc. I got an education during the couple of days leading up to and during that funeral. They called this guy "Scrap Metal", I\'m sure they did it lovingly :) Anyway, his wife was at the family visitation the night before the funeral, and his "Old Lady" was at the funeral....I started the music, I didn\'t recognize most of it because I have never like heavy metal...I did know the Tina Turner song they wanted me to play :) It was a packed house - including police officers on the cat walk! We could seat 1500 people. The best part was when the hundreds of Harley\'s started up for the procession....thier bikes shook the windows in the church!!

I had to deal with funerals all the time when I worked at the church and it really wasn\'t difficult at all.

Patty Jo...I would be like your old boyfriend...I couldn\'t let them go to waste...just think of all the great house plants!!

Catherine, maybe these two gals can have a side business making "special casket quilts" for the dearly departed... you never know...it might be a big hit! :)

Speaking of funeral parlors and dying and all... sure you have to have a sense of humor about it because otherwise it would drive you nuts! Here\'s a funny joke I like to tell whenever I pass a cemetary: "Why do cemetaries always have fences around them?" Because people are just dying to get in there! :o :o :o:P

There are several nursing homes in lllinois that have quilted covers that they use to place over a deceased person while they are waiting for the hearse. They are made to fit over the gurney. My MIL had picked out the one that she wanted them to use for her. Unfortunately she died in the hospital and didn\'t get to use it. I don\'t know who donated them but always thought that it was a nice gesture on someone\'s part.

Judith Fosse

Southern Illinois

My husband had the Harley processional at his memorial, everytime I hear one rev up it takes me back to that moment. He had a puzzler he liked to stump people with:

One man made it but didn\'t use it.

One man needed it but didn\'t want it.

One man used it but didn\'t know it.

answer: a casket.

My mom used to date a mortician. When he was on call, his hearse would be parked in front of our house. That used to cause quite the commotion until the neighbors realized what was going on!:D

He was very much into practical jokes--he used to love to tell me not to look in the fridge! :P

Yea, Shana, the casket quilts are a good idea, I\'ll suggest it. Here\'s my story of one:

My grandmother passed away a couple of years ago, at the age of 108. I had made a

family tree quilt for her for her 100&something\'th birthday, with photos of all her descendants, plus her parents and grandparents. Needless to say she treasured it. I sent it to the funeral home (not this one) for them to put on display for her services, but when I got there it was folded up, inside out, INSIDE the casket. Of course I snatched it out & put it on the wall, then took it home with me, but I still think about it sitting on the body every time I look at it. I don\'t really care though, I like it.

Archived