Size really does matter

I was in the LQS dropping off another customer's quilt when a previous (no quilts from her in almost a year) customer was mesmerized by t he Circle Lord Spirals I had used in the quilt. She asked if I could do that in her quilt. First mistake, I did not measure her blocks. They were 17” and the Circle Lord Spiral is about 12”. It turns out that size does matter. We discussed design and she told me she has to get it in the mail soon as it is a commission quilt. No rush, though. Yeah, right.

I took it home and watched as DH re-measured her quilt several times. Top = 74”; bottom = 74.5 and center measure = 76. Yikes. That was the second mistake. I should remember my promise to always measure her quilts in her presence. I didn’t remember but this time, I had photos. The photos really tell the story. I showed her the before and after shots.

Solution: I Used Circle Lord Spirals and circles. I used Linda Taylor’s Arch Guide ruler to finish the spirals and do SID around the circles. I used Soft and Bright batting under QD puff to help fill in the uneven piecing. The thread is King Tut Oasis on top and PermaCore Chamois in the bobbin to quilt the daylights out of that quilt outside the Circle Lord spirals.

She loved the quilt.

circle-front.jpg

P8010321.jpg

back-circkes.jpg

Before:

corner-b4.jpg

After:

corber-after.jpg

Before:

bottom-row.jpg

After: bottomrow-after.jpg

Before:

P7300289.jpg

After:

P8010316.jpg

Linda,

I was just on the Circle Lord site and noticed for the first time that CL has two Spirals Templates. One is 12" (which is what most of us probably have) and the other is 16" or 18" called the Large Spirals.

But that would have spoiled all your fun. and your ingenuity.

Linda, as usual, you mezmerize (sp?) the hell out of me when you run into these situations!

I stand applauding and admiring your work and suggestions ALL THE TIME!

It's A W S O M E !! I think I need to sit with you a few days and watch the magician at work herself. I'd probably be picking my jaw up off the floor all day long saying to myself "WOW, OMG...etc. etc."

Quilted Hugs,

Linda you certainly are the Miracle worker on this quilt. I believe you are the one that should have a blue ribbon and ALL the praise for this. Your quilting amazeses me.......I love to see you quilts. Thanks for posting the before and after pics......I can't believe the wonderful work you did on that quilt....it truly is wonderful. She should be GRATEFUL!!

Renae

Archived