What is the most satisfying step for you?

I, like most, love the entire quilting process.Some steps more than others. I work by machine and by hand. I love putting on the binding. My favorite step is the shopping with quilting friends for new fabric once I am again inspired to begin yet another project. I have used up many many spools of thread on all of my machines, but just finished off a spool of hand quilting thread on a project. The project is not complete but the end of the spool was somehow satisfying to me!? Yes it was a new spool when I started this project & I have used this only on this project. I guess it helped me to realize that this project WILL one day be completed! Tho many days have gone by that I have not really felt as tho I have made any progress. Throwing away the empty spool I saw the progress differently. Go figure.

What step is most satisfying for you? Not customer quilts, but your own projects-you know-the ones that you are making because you love it and feel you have to.

What step do you HATE? Just wondering-

Patty

I always teach the reasons for UFOs are 2 fold. The first is when you are 25% complete. You have made several mistakes and the fabric didn't pop (or blend or whatever) the way you planned and you get discouraged. The second is when you are 75% complete. It has taken longer than you wanted and you have eyed another pattern and new wonderful fabric is on the shelves and you give in and start something new. Therefore those are the 2 major things I hate. I love, love when it comes off that frame and has taken on a whole new personality as when it was only a top. But my favorite of all is getting a new pattern and all that glorious fabric - there is not one mistake in my mind of this perfect quilt. :)

Interesting question. I would say I love it all but I look at my pile of UFO's obviously it is buying fabric. My worst habit is not following through. so this year I am bound and determined to finish something

Just Sew Simple, I really like what you said about UFO's. it fits perfectly.

Guest Linda S

I agree about the shopping for new fabric with friends. As a matter of fact, I was just doing that yesterday with a wonderful friend, and this time we shopped in the home dec store instead of the quilting store. New things a-comin' that's for sure! Other than that, my favorite part is pulling that chain stitch to get the finished quilt off the frame. My step I hate is loading a quilt -- unless it's one of mine!

Linda

I'd say my favorite is applique followed closely by binding which is much the same thing now that I think of it. My least favorite is choosing the fabrics. That is why I have a stash that is neverending and I have become a lover of kits. Just hand me the fabrics and Im ok to go, but get me to my stash and I am completely overwhelmed and frozen like a deer in headlights! Sally in cold soon to be snowy NE Ohio

I like all the steps equally well . . . I look at it like this: there is something to look forward to after each step.

Buying the fabric and looking forward to the design

Pieceing the blocks, coming up with "stream-lined" sewing and looking forward to seeing them together in rows

Finishing the top, seeing it complete and looking forward to the quilting

Quilting and seeing "texture" emerge and looking forward to taking it off

Pulling it off the frame and seeing it whole looking forward to trimming it and what binding to use

Then when binding, looking forward to using it or seeing it hung up or giving it to someone or a customer!

My least favorite is binding. I don't mind handwork, but unless we are traveling and I am binding in the van it takes me FOREVER to bind a quilt.

I don't mind squaring up the backing.

I love everything else... Shopping for fabric, deciding what quilt to piece, the whole design process, piecing, etc. I used to enjoy quilting small quilts, but only if I could use my walking foot. Now I love all quilting. Funny how a really good longarm made all the differenct. :D

Giving the finished quilt away to a friend and having them say "THANK YOU!!!" --- Is this a step?

If that's a step of the process then that is my most very favorite step. :)

But if we're talking construction of the quilts, I love pulling fabric from my stash and petting it. I love the cutting and sewing/piecing part. I enjoy matching the pieces together and pressing to see how they look nice and flat with sharp intersections and points. I am in no way perfect, nor will I ever be, but I strive for perfection in my piecing and it's a fun challenge.

My least favorite part is when I have to hand sew the binding. I am not very good with hand sewing. That's definitely something I need to work on skills.

Maybe beginning is my favorite step, looking at my large stack of UFO's.

For the last couple of years I have forced myself to finish two UFO's before I let myself start a new quilt, and that has been working for me.

Preparing the backing is one of my least favorite, along with doing the binding by hand.

Picking out the fabric, altering the pattern to fit my tastes or drafting a pattern out of my head. I guess the planning stage is the most exciting for me. Piecing is something I sometimes enjoy and sometimes don't.

Probably the most satisfying part for me is figuring out quilting patterns to fit the spaces and then putting the thread on the fabric. I LOVE freehand work and I like trying new things. I wish my machine was less tempermental so I could try all those wonderful threads out there.

I too just love the giving part the best. My least favorite part is loading it on the frame but I enjoy every part. It's interesting to me that so many people don't enjoy binding. I really enjoy that part. In fact, it's almost a let down when I am sitting in front of the TV and realize I'm almost finished with the binding. Maybe it's because I have kind of bonded with the quilt or something. EEEEwwww. That sounds really wierd! :P:P:P

my favorite part is designing and piecing the quilt top. My least favorite of making the top is doing borders. I have so many ufo's just lacking the outer border. Not sure why I get hung up there but I seem to leave alot of Ufo's in that state of incompletion. Then when it comes to the quilting I still have trouble just getting started. Once I am working on a quilt I love it but I am always afraid to begin. I don't mind bindings but sometimes leave them to be done later so I can move on the the next quilt. This past weekend I finished bindings on 5 wall quilts at my retreat. I made myself finish these first before working on my Lone Star project. And yes the top is almost finished except the corners and borders. I wonder how long it will take to finish. This is the one I resolved to finish this month as my New months resolution instead of New Years resolution.

My favourite part is snuggling up under a new quilt!

I am into speed & instant gratification! I hate starting a new project until I have finished the one

I am working on & the worst thing about me is that my whole stash can fit into a single shopping bag.

I feel ashamed to admit on this forum that I don't have a stash! I just can't bring myself to buy fabric that

I don't know what it will be used for. I just made a jelly roll quilt that needs the binding hand stitched & have 2

tops waiting to be quilted but I have to buy fabric each time I make a new top & because I am lazy I buy jelly rolls so

I don't have to waste time choosing & co-ordinating colours.

I think I need help... I am sooooo ashamed! :(

Jenny, Melbourne Australia

Jenny...that's okay...my sister does the same thing...she buys only and I mean only what she needs for that certain project....FINISHES it and then moves the to the next one. We have the same dad...so it must be my mom that I get the totally side tracking bit from.....;):P:o

My favorite step is putting in the last stitch to complete putting on the label. That means I have actually finished a project. My least favorite is cutting out. I am too anxious to get to the sewing.

Jenny, I am the one to be ashamed. My stash is much too large. I am going to work on reducing it this year.

Pamela

Archived