Be kind.....

I'm attaching some pix of a wall hanging of my own that I just finished. I've never done feathers on anything other than a practice piece and since this was mine, I figured, why not give them a go? That and Cindy's mystery quilt from Longarm U helped. For example: Who knew you could take a solid border and mark it into individual squares and then quilt each square individually:P I was sure that was against the rules:D

So, for you experts out there, had you wanted your quilting to show, would you have quilted in a cream color on the rose rather than rose colored thread? I'm trying to get brave enough to give that a try next...

post--13461901019387_thumb.jpg

Dory, I can't find a single thing to not be kind about.

Your stitching is quite even, the designs are so close to even I'd not waste time measuring just to prove one is off.. they are well spaced,.

All in alll, I think it came out quite well. We can't learn if we don't try and don't practice.

You are doing great so chin up smile proudly and keep going.

RitaR

Be kind??? But what if I wanna be mean for just one time! Can't I? ;)

Well aDORYable Dory... I think you did a great job. The sashing really ties nicely with the stack/whacks.

Originally posted by DoryJM

.....had you wanted your quilting to show, would you have quilted in a cream color on the rose rather than rose colored thread? I'm trying to get brave enough to give that a try next...

I also think you chose well with the red thread, rather than white. I like my quilting to accentuate the piecing, not be the showy part. Unless the fabric is tone on tone or neutral...

Oh, you guys are all a bunch of brown-nosers:P:P Keep it up; I'm loving it!!!!!

Really, though, thanks so much for the kind words. When I think of how afraid I was when I first got the machine and how far I've come, its amazing. I think there is hope for me yet!

And Shana...good luck with even trying to be mean. I don't think you have it in you!!! ;)

You are too funny...and brave to boot.....showing us the back when you didn't use white threads... If and I say IF there are any wonky oops...it would have really shown there, and can't see a one....brave girl.... I so laugh at you.....ya did good girlfriend.:cool:

Great job!

One of my friends who has been a long arm for 7 years told me to remember that I see the quilts that I longarm close up and see all of my mistakes, the rest of the world looks at the whole quilt and does know where the mistakes are to see them.

Try to stand back and look at the quilt because you did a wonderful job. :)

Very nice job Dory. I love this pattern. I have made this quilt a couple of times before...always turns out nice. I may have to send my quilts to you to have quilted. :) You did a beautiful job. Your feathers look terrific. I am scared to try them...I do a swirly feather or fern type. You inspire me to try again. Thanks for sharing.

You did a great job, and I just thought I'd let you know this minute that I am going to steal (borrow means you will return it) your sashing tear drops idea (imitation being the sincerest form of flattery and all) for a quilt on my frame this minute that I didn't know what to do in the narrow border. Thanks for the idea!

Here I am trying to post a pic of a quilt that looks to be the exact same quilt.. I'm thinking oh, nice border design, I like the sashing... I may do a little something in the post area...

Thanks for your ideas, I'll work on this quilt now, it is on my machine.

It is hard sometime to know what to quilt, thanks for posting and sharing all the ideas.

You guys are all great! Thanks, again.

And Ann, don't worry, you're not stealing ideas from me. The "tear drop/feather things" in the sashing are from a class I took from Deloa at Innovations where she gave us a handout on different things to do in sashings. I had a heck of a time drawing them--they were easier to quilt. I only had a couple where I went the wrong direction.

Meg, if you're still interested in the Longarm U class, the best part is that even if you can't do it at the same time as the class, she will send a CD of it after. Good thing, too, since all I was able to do was piece my top. I'm waiting for my CD to do the actual quilting.

I don't have an answer to your thread question that would be by the textbook. I usually go with the heart. I've done contrasting thread and wished I hadn't, and I've done blending thread and wished I had gone with contrast. Since it's YOUR quilt, it's up to you. When a customer wants different color thread on top and back, I usually convince them to keep the same color--eliminating the uneven tension that causes sometimes unsightly pokies. I did one once with dark thread on top that was almost invisible, but the back was a solid cream and showed every stitch and wobble and thread nest. That customer was thrilled that she had two quilts in one--the dark side for winter and the lighter side (a wholecloth) for summer. She didn't comment on the quilting--I guess she figured they all look that way.

I think your quilting is lovely, and congratulations on being brave and forging ahead. It does get easier!:D

Dory,, Isn't that a great pattern, It is the 4 patch swirl isn't it? I loved making that block it was so much fun. And you had a great idea to do the cc in the blocks and the feathers on the borders. I think it looks great. I have been thinking about what to do with the quilting on mine and still have not decided, but seeing how wonderful yours turned out gives me another option to think about. Thanks for posting a picture. It is good for us to see each others work and be able to encourage and help each other. That is what we are all here for. Great Job. Jeanne

Archived