Just off the frame & ready for Christmas 2009

This quilt just came off the frame this afternoon. It was a challenge for me as my customer wanted it done in metallic thread. She brought me the thread and it says "Embroidery Thread" on the bottom of the cone. It was not a nice thread. If it broke once, it broke about 30 times during the process. I went thru a 1/2 bottle of Sewers Aid, slowed way down, changed needles, and it still kept breaking. The next time someone wants metallic thread, there will be a big discussion about how much that will cost!!! Anyway, because it is all metalic thread, the stitching doesn't show up real well in the pics, but you can see some of it.

"Nancy's 12 days of Christmas" full shot

2575595350094956607S600x600Q85.jpg

Some closeups of the blocks

2847929910094956607S600x600Q85.jpg

2276689860094956607S600x600Q85.jpg

2483641870094956607S600x600Q85.jpg

Thanks for looking.:cool:

Very Nice Job, I think you did a wonderful job of quilting with that metalic thread and it looks great! I also like what you did in the applique (Iam assuming that this is appliqued or was it pre-printed? ) I love all of the detailed quilting that really emphasized those pictures and made them look wonderful! I am sure your customer will just love it! I would!

Vicki

nice work Patty Jo

I would think that metallic for embroidery would be a PITA!! I wonder when it breaks that often on the machine what will it do in the quilt later on. I would worry about that if I were her. Oh well you did what she wanted and that will be her problem if it does. Great job and very cute quilt.

Great job - I agree about using the customers threads - no way unless it is a good thread for the LA. I think if one wants metallic, then you should tell the customer that you will purchase and charge for the metallic thread that is good for our machines. It would be worth it for both the quilter and the customer. You might not charge for the full price of the cone since you will be able to use it on other quilts, but at least a portion + shipping. Certain embroidery threads run great on our babies, but others are just a pain and should be kept in another room!!!

thanks Y'all - Your kind comments are nice to hear when you first turn on the computer in the monring. I think that this quilt will only be hung during the Christmas holidays but you never know. One thing that I did learn is how to start stitching again and it hardly shows!!! and I didn't knot and bury any of the threads, just re-anchored the threads, went on my way and then came back and made sure that all threads were clipped. It isn't going to be a bed quilt, so hopefully it won't fall apart. This was all fusable applique and some of it was starting to come off - I think that my customer had finished this several years ago and was just now getting it quilted. So that is why I had to quilt in the appliques, plus they were put on with really heavy iron- on fusible. She had hoped to quilt it herself, but just could never get around to it. She's a nice lady so I'm sure that she will like it.

The border fabric was just strange in color & design. I don't know where or when she got this fabric, but it was different & so busy, that I drew from the fabric design itself and made like big twirling spiky stars in the border. I think that it came out ok and that is where I had the most breaks - mostly when I changed directions.

Anyway, thanks for the comments and I'm glad this one is done. ;)

NancyJo that came out great.. Superiors metalic threads are a dream to work with. I wouldn't consider embroidery thread. Have tried it, tho not metalic, a couple times and gave up. Will stick with LA thread.

Keep it up.. doing terrific,

RitaR

PattyJo, I'm a bit slow today, as I am actually just now starting my day....and it feel like its about mid morning and haven't had my quota of caffine yet.

Love the quilt, and the quilting....so sorry about the thread breaking. I agree a PITA....

I think that turned out really cute. I especially like the chickens. Oh, I hope I get good someday, too. I think my hardest thing with custom is the deciding what to do. I would like to get those books by Darlene Epp but haven't gotten around to it yet. Great job, PattyJo!

Patty Jo, You brought out all the right places with the sparkle of the thread. I will not take thread from customers either, better to stick with what works and what works on my machine may not be happy on anothers. I have that same issue with some battings. Even with the breakage challenge, you did great, I would have changed threads after I called her after the second break.

Archived