APQS vs. Gammill

Hi,

I am presently researching, vigorously I might say, wheater or not to purchase another Gammill or my first APQS machine. I loved my Gammill Optimum Plus, however, with everything I've read about the APQS, I am very tempted to buy a Millinium.

Is there any body out there that has owned either of those machines and switched, switched and wished they had not, or just want to tell me why they bought their particular machine.

Thanks

When I first got the idea to quilt for others, I attended Longarm University (Cindy Roth in WA). Found out then that my idea of an HQ16 or a Tin Lizzie and lots of customer quilts wasn't very realistic. The classes were taught on a Gammill and I learned alot.

I went in search of the perfect longarm and test drove many along the way. For me, the APQS Millie was the best. It gave me the most bang for my buck. The support is unbeatable, it was the smoothest to "drive" and I felt the frame, the way they're made (strong to last) and the fact that they're made in the USA sold me. I haven't been sorry.

I've been looking into purchasing a newer model Millie, but I have no desire to purchase any other LA. APQS is a terrific company with wonderful support...you can't go wrong.

Okay....off my soapbox now;)

Like Dory, I took classes on every available machine while I was researching my longarm purchase. My first love was APQS, but I felt I owed it to myself to try all the models/companies that I could. I took every "beginner longarm class" available by each manufacturer and came back to APQS. The power advance, adjustable handles, fingertip control, overhead wiring, superior stitch with "smart bobbin" all helped to seal the deal for me. Also, when I looked into the fact that APQS is American made, family-owned along with their reputation for quality and service, there was no other choice! I have been truly delighted with my purchase. The "extra" of having this open forum with so many tips and techniques by quilters of all different levels and abilities has been an added bonus! Love my Millie!!

Oh yes, just saw your note on "Road Show". Definitely test drive if you have not had a chance yet!

Vickie Oliver

Beachside Quilter

APQS Rep SW FL

I recently purchased an APQS, after having pretty much decided several years ago that a Gammill was the machine I wanted. I bought my machine at MQS this May in Overland Park, KS. It was my second year attending MQS primarily to test drive machines. My husband went with me both years, so I had the benefit of his input. He was especially impressed with the 8 year warranty, and some of the internal workings which I don't even understand.

I talked to others at MQS, and was told on more than one occasion how fantastic APQS is to work with. Their customer service was rated outstanding by everyone I talked to. Myrna Ficken did the demonstration on the machine, and I really felt like she cared and that APQS really wanted my business. There were a number of features that the APQS machine offered....power quilt advance, Quilt Glide, free shipping, etc. that finally tilted me toward the APQS machine.

I believe the APQS machine weighs less than the Gammill. I didn't find that to be a big factor, as both machines operated smoothly. Mainly, the Gammill representative did not do as good a sales job. The rep pretty much said "Here it is, this is what it does. No, it doesn't come with the same options as APQS. More "exciting" options are on the way"...but no mention of what these advances might include.

I liked the training offered by both companies. So, basically, with us, it came down to customer service and guarantee. Also, I like the idea that the machine is made in the US. Gammill, if I am not mistaken, has components made in China. I could certainly be wrong about that. You would need to ask that question to be sure. The Gammill uses a larger bobbin, which I understand can cause tension variations, but fewer bobbin changes.

All that said, I don't think you could go wrong with either machine. It would come down to options and what is important to you. I added the optional Quilt Glide, because my ultimate goal is to do the "Heirloom" or heavy custom quilting. A rep will be more than happy to explain Quilt Glide to you, and demonstrate it for you. Hope this helps.

Where in Georgia are you located? We will be doing a road show in Tallahassee, Fl on the 30th of Sept. Would love to have you attend to check out the machines. I will also be vending at the Jacksonville Fl Quiltfest from the 24th -26th of Sept. We will have the Millie, Freedom and Lenni in the booth for test drives.

If you can't make either of these events, I have these 3 machines in my studio in NWFL and I would love to have you come visit for the day.

Patty

I'll post a little here, I'm not really experienced yet though... I live in Alpharetta, GA so I needed to go out of state to test drive. I was lucky enough to see the machines and others side by side at several shows. I was really impressed with the stitch quality,and the bobbin system and top tension system were the tried and true industry standards. My brother is a mechanical engineer and was impressed by the "guts". I bought my Milli at Houston last year, I've been PPP since then. I have a ways to go with my stitching designs, but my machine has never jammed, never been out of tension more than a little dial of the top, and is smooth and light weight to use. I went to Iowa last spring and took beginner, adv. beginner, and maintanence classes, learned a lot and am very happy with my slow but sure progress on the machine. I don't get as much time on my machine as I'd like as I have continuing family obligations in 3 other states, but I have full confidence that the APQS is the best machine I could have picked. If you have any specific questions, feel free to U 2 U me, I'll help if I can.

I've learned a lot from these forums, in particular, Patty Butcher is our nearest rep, she's always right there with help and suggestions, I'll be making a trip south as soon as practical, love to meet her and see her set up. She has lots of add on gadgets to make the most of your time and artistic vision too:D Hope you can get your LA soon and begin having a lot of fun, Pat :cool:

Okay, my first machine was a Gammill Optiumum Plus. My second machine was a Millie, then I added a Liberty and lastly I traded my Millie in for a Freedom SR. I still own my Liberty and no longer in business so it is for sale. Getting back to your first question...would I buy a Gammill again...the answer for me is no because the machine is too heavy for me, even the classic model. I am only 5'2" and shrinking with age:P:P The Gammills are heavier machines even the classic and to me that is a concern. No matter how easily a machine glides on the rails, you still have to start and stop all of the weight. My tension is much better on my APQS machine than it every was on the Gammill. The only plus there is, for me, on a Gammill is the throat space when doing custom quilting and there is a large block on point, but that is all.

I switched from the Millie to the Freedom because it is a lighter machine and for me moves more easily on the rails. For easy of movement I think that goes hands down to A-1, but for me there is more vibration, the throat space is smaller and my friend has a few more tension issues with her A-1 (I can't speak for any other A-1 owner). I haven't had any issues with tension. The bobbins are smaller which helps a lot with tension, and yes, one has to refill it more often, but if one is not fighting tension, then there is time saved too.

APQS has awesome customer service, when I have needed help they have gone above and beyond the call of duty...so to speak. The help I received from Gammill, at the time, was not always that great, but again, this was my experience and not necessarily everyone else.

I think the most important issue is which machine is best for you. Everyone will tell you what works best for them and it is hard to figure out what will be the best for you. Would I buy another APQS machine...the answer to that question is yes, yes and yes. I have owned several and would not make the switch to another brand. If you can test drive a machine that is the best thing you can do. If you can get to a Quilt show that has all the vendors...even better, because you can try all the machines from a particular dealer.

Yes for APQS:D:D

Piecelovequilts,

First and foremost, the support at APQS is fantastic, not just at the main office, but on this forum and people like Katy and Myrna. I have friends who have Gammills and they say its hard to get support. Second, I bought an APQS Liberty without trying it out and I LOVE IT. The Gammill was too heavy for me. Again I have friends that love their Gammills, so this is a personal choice. They are many people in Georgia that have APQS machines (HI PAT! - HI DOODLEBUG) and several comment on this forum daily. Its too bad we don't have a rep, but I am sure you could go to Katy's place in Florida. If I had a Millie, you could try it, but I don't!(SOMEDAY!)

I have not had one problem with my Liberty, but have had learning curve issues that Amy helped with from APQS and Katy here in this forum and attended classes with Myrna (HEY LADIES). I have friends that have problems with their LA's all the time and have to wait for many days to get help.

I also chose the APQS because of the ease of the tension and changing the tension with all kinds of thread types and the belt drive impressed me also. But most importantly the movement - I had tried a Millie at a LQS and it was fantastic.

I know two people locally that have changed from Gammill to APQS because of the weight and feel. I haven't met any one yet that went from APQS to Gammill, but we welcome all LA'ers on this forum and perhaps someone will chime in that made that switch.

So try one out, you can't go wrong and then you will get the machine that suits you the best. And regardless of which machine you chose, please join us here.:)

You are going to get 10 thousand different opinions. You really need to test drive for yourself. I have an older model Millie, but I test drove a new Millie with Quilt Glide and Edgerider wheels at MQS - that is the only way to go, (in my opinion). However, I have a friend who had an Ultimate something and went to the Gammill. So, I think you should test drive and make that decision for yourself.

We have a Gam Classic and a Millie. The first reason I went to the APQS was the table. I like the idea of being able to see the entire back side and reach everything there. I have had 2 times that my needle got stuck in the fabric on the Gammill machine and you just couldn't get to the problem the way the backing fabric is loaded. I was having a problem with the Gammill and knots on the back of the quilt. I was down for a whole month and talking to Ken Gammill himself during this time. Finally he said to disconnect the little finger near the bobbin and I shouldn't have another problem. That little finger wasn't needed anyway. This, after a month of down time. I have since tweaked the Gammill and it's a workhorse I have to admit. My husband runs that machine. I have my Millie and love it. I am in the process of changing the wheels because all of a sudden I was getting square curves. My Millie is also lighter than the Gammill. With all the machines out there now, I would be hard pressed to decide anymore. That new Innova or whatever it is called looks interesting. That's the one Sherry just got. I'm retiring and my Millie is going with me. I would like to trade for a smaller machine but this one is paid for.

If you can test-drive in someones home that would be better. I had actually crossed APQS of my list a year ago after trying them out at a show. I couldn't make a pretty curve for the life of me. However, a couple of months ago I tried one in someones home and I loved it. It moved beautifully and not at all heavy.

Jessica

Jessica,

Because the machine at the shows are set up so quickly, they may seem a little hard to use sometimes. Of course if you have people around you with different machines, and they are willing to share, then I would try it.

I had been looking at A-1's and wanting to find someone in my area with one I could try. I sent out an email locally to my machine quilter's guild, and I called the home office and asked if they could get some one to call me (first I emailed - they never responeded), they said they would be happy to and took my information....I never heard from anyone!! Very disappointing...kind of changed my mind about that brand.

Originally posted by Mary Beth

You are going to get 10 thousand different opinions. You really need to test drive for yourself.

Very true statement! If you go over to a Gammill site, everyone over there will tell you how great their machines are. I don't have either machine and I love my machine. It really is a matter of opinion and you can hear all kinds of great stuff from people, but until you try them all out, it's hard to make a truly informative decision. Good luck and let us know what you decide!

I agree with all the previous posters regarding stitch quality, 8 year warranty, wonderful tech support, etc.

The thing that sold me on APQS was that I could use different colors and weights of thread in the top and bobbin, and not worry about "pokies". This is where one of the threads shows on the other side because it's hard to adjust the tension. The Gammill manual admits this problem, and says to use the same thread in the top as the bobbin. How limiting! I want to use the best choice of thread on each side.

The other thing is the different types of threads. The Gammill can't handle more delicate threads, like Superior's Rainbow threads, which is why they came out with their Lava line. I can run a huge assortment of threads on my Millie and my Lenni (same thread path and tension adjustments, etc - one is just shorter) from fragile metallics to thick PolyQuilter.

I love having an APQS. Yes, it costs a little more, but it is so worth it.

Good luck!

Julia

I tried Gammills and APQS machines at every show they were at for years, Gammill turned me off every time as they were barely helpful at these shows where they were supposed to be selling their machines!:o

APQS however always had friendly, helpful people at their booths, what a difference! I love my Millie and really don't have any plans to change, upgrades sure but I'll keep my Millie! ;)

:):cool::cool::)

Hi,

I've just been in the same situation as you, except that I don't have a gammill, I have a Nolting18". I realised I needed to upgrade - I have simply outgrown my Nolting, but with all the machines out there, what do you do? I agree with previous posts that the best way is to test drive as many machines as you can - I tried the A1, a Prodigy, a gammill and an APQS millenium. The only one I couldn't test drive was a Nolting 24" Pro, because I couldn't find anyone over here that had one. All the machines I tried were good, some I liked better for one reason or another. Eventually I decided to get the APQS, mainly based on lightness of movement as I have a back problem, the 8 year warranty and good customer service ( hi Sue!). My machine is on the way as I speak and I am so excited!

Hope you find the machine of your dreams!

Shelley

OMG yes I did just convert from my Gammill Classic Plus to an APQS Milli and have not regreted a minute of it!!! I did like my Gammill but had a lot of stitch problems and adjustments along with thread issues...My Milli I set her up and starting sewing immediately love, love, love this machine. The stitches are perfect and I am enjoying quilting much more..Customer service GREAT!!! Can't say I have had one second of a bad experience so far. Try it you will feel the same I am sure....Jackie

Archived