Can you recommend a good serger?

My Pastor's wife wants a serger for Christmas and he asked me to help him. Unfortunately, I don't know anything about them. He would like something middle of the road as far as features - not too simple that she ends up wanting more, but not so advanced that she's overwhelmed (or that he can't afford it ;)).

If anyone could recommend a good make/model I know he would appreciate any input.

Thanks so much!

Jody

I can't recommend any one particular brand or features. My serger comes out of hiding only occasionally to serge the edges of fabric before I put it in the wash. However, after I retired from my real job I had a pretend job at a sewing store where we sold sewing and embroidery machines and sergers, high end, low end, and everything in between. My recommendation is that he let his wife pick out the one that has the features that she wants and functions in a way that is easy for her to understand and operate. Also, it should come from a store that will give her one or more lessons included with the purchase.

Babylock! Air threading is great. It depends whether the sewer also wants more than 4 thread spools and coverstitch (OK so I only use 3 threads and do straight lines but I have read the blurb!)

Babylock has one which might be Imagine or something - it can hold up to 8 spools, does the coverstitch for sweatshirts etc and costs getting on for £1000+ so it comes down to budget. Hmm, a voucher might be nice unless the pastor thinks his wife wouldn't want to spend money on the top model!

I can ditto the Viking Serger recommendation if it's used. Mine is 25 years old and has never needed anything except a tension spring replaced. They are able to be self-serviced.

That said, a few years ago, I bought a 5 thread Viking serger because it had a cover stitch. A plastic part broke within a year and cost $100 to fix. Then a few months later another plastic part broke. I traded it for a Babylock with cover stitch and never looked back. I still use the old Viking though for most things - it can handle anything.

I have a Janome and like others, it gets used rarely but works well when I do use it. I helped a friend pick out a Brother serger the other day and she is very happy with it--it is probably the best middle of the road--she didn't want to spend the money for a Babylok or Bernina.

I do bridal/formal alterations as well as home dec. used a Bernina serger for 20 years, upgraded to a Babylock evolve. It is totally awesome for everything I do. The threading is easy, tension perfect every time. I really like that it can handle everything from chiffon , slippery satin, knits, and upholstry. It is a heavy machine and can work all day. (note: I still use my old Bernette serger for everyday work on serging the edges of fabric before I wash it:D:D) Pat

Archived