Hello, and thank you

I just wanted to say hello, and thanks to everyone on this forum...I have been lurking here for quite some time and have learned SO MUCH from reading your posts and seeing your photos. I love how generous you all are with praise and support for each other, and I would like to add my voice now also.

I just had a quilt in my first juried show. It was the Mancuso World Quilt Expo in West Palm Beach 2 weeks ago. It was my first custom (non-panto) quilt. What a thrill to see it hanging there!! I didn't win anything, but it did have good placement in the show, I was right next to the best of show on an end cap :)

After reading the judge's comments, I am thinking about doing some more quilting in the borders (maybe Sashiko?) and entering it again.

Pam

post--13461902937499_thumb.jpg

Pam,

Contratulations! Where were you thinking of putting the sashiko on the borders? I love both the Asian motif shape in the piecing and the colors, especially the small teal squares. Consider learning from this experience and putting your new ideas into the next quilt. I have an early quilt which I know is 'under-quilted' in show terms, but that was where I was at with quilting at the time and I appreciate the quilt for what it is.

Thanks everyone!

Carol, it's the Peace Quilt by Margaret Rolfe. The cranes are all paper pieced. The story behind it is really moving. Reader's Digest Version is: a little girl was 2 when the atomic bomb hit Hiroshima. She was healthy until age 12, when she developed leukemia. In Japanese culture, there is a legend that if you fold 1000 cranes, a wish will come true. Her wish was for health, so she started folding. She died before she could finish, but her classmates took up the task and she was buried with 1000 cranes. A monument was erected in a nearby park, of a crane with a wish for Peace in the world. I thought the message was timely.

Joan, was thinking of adding some big stitch quilting between the horizontal lines to make the feathers pop on the borders? Or not...

Vicki, yes Jupiter is the next town over. They have a wonderful quilt shop :) Quilter's Choice. Did you camp at Jonathan Dickenson park?

Pam

Welcome to the forum, Pam! I remember seeing your lovely quilt at the show. The story behind it is so moving; thank you for sharing it with us! Enjoy the recognition of having your quilt in a juried show; quite an accomplishment for a first custom quilt!! Great work and we hope to see more!!

Vickie Oliver

Beachside Quilter

APQS Rep SW FL

Hi Pam, and welcome to the forum! What took you so long? I love your quilt, 2 color quilts always make a beautiful visual statement. You might think about piano keys on either side of the feathers in the border, or maybe beadboard, or pebbles of different sizes. Wavy lines spaced like piano keys? If you are doing piano keys or something like that, I'd echo the feathers first. I think it would complete the borders and not leave large open spaces. Are you going to put it in another show? I think it would be worth it to see the judges comments after you've followed the first judges suggestion. Lwt us know what you do, the quilt is just beautiful!

Archived