What is your favorite frogger tool

I use a crochet hook. Not too small because it will catch the fabric too much. I pull bobbin thread up until I can pull to rip a length then pull the top thread and then start pulling up the bobbin thead again. Doesn't leave any little threads that way. I use the hook to pull up the bobbin as I'm pulling the top thread. Works for me!

when I frog I get sereval stitches un stitched. then I pull up the thread from the bottom and trim it as close to the top as possible. next I pull the top thread and a lot of stitches pull loose at the same time and I repeat the process over and over. goes perty fast. I use thread nippers and a flowerhead pin.

Nora

Guest Linda S

I use the seam ripper, but just pick out about 1" worth of stitches on the top, then reach under, grab the loop of bobbin thread, and rip for all I'm worth. A lot of the top thread will come undone immediately. Just unpick a 1" spot here and there where you need to unstitch, reach under, and rip it, rip it, rip it! Goes very fast.

Linda

Originally posted by Linda S

I use the seam ripper, but just pick out about 1" worth of stitches on the top, then reach under, grab the loop of bobbin thread, and rip for all I'm worth. A lot of the top thread will come undone immediately. Just unpick a 1" spot here and there where you need to unstitch, reach under, and rip it, rip it, rip it! Goes very fast.

Linda

I try to use the same method as Linda. Though if it is a large frog, I will use my small rotary cutter between the backing and the batting.

If I'm frogging a small amount, a long large eyed regular sewing needle. If I have a lot, a curved serger blade. I'll cut a stitch, yank the uncut thread as much as possible, then cut another stitch. And then I can use a nail filer to "coaxing" the stitches out, then go over it with a lint brush of some sort. But the nail filer works great for picking the stitches out of the fabric after you've cut them.

It seems as if I've posted this before, but maybe not...

I LOVE this one from A Touch of Thread in Zanesville, OH... website: www.atouchofthread.net

Shirley Stutz is one of our beloved members as well as a national teacher (you might have seen her classes at MQX or MQS) Anyway, this is her favorite tool and now mine too!

Here's a picture of the "thread picker"

post--13461903985202_thumb.jpg

I use a pair of snip eze embroderie scissors en snip every inch or so. Than I take out the thread. The thread on the other side comes loose and can easily been taken off.

But I rather not frog and hide any "oops". Sometimes you can better incorporate the mistake in the design ;)

I use the same method as Linda S. too..... but I also grab the little threads with my trusty needle nose plyers. I don't have long nails and this baby picks up all the threads - even the tiny little tail just peeking out!!

Then I also use it to rub-out the needle holes in the fabric - works great!

Archived