Lets all estimate***Prize Added***08/30 **We have a winner!!

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would think about 1250$ but will take a guess and go higher, $1650.

During our quilt show one of the girls had showed a quilt with K.fasette fabric, queen size, one guy came in and said that he

wanted to buy it, so I took his phone

number and told Annie you have to call, well guess what, he offered 175euros, which is about $225. When she told him the price of the fabric, quilting and everything, he said the could get one cheeper at the market!!!

I don’t have a guess but I have a story. I worked at Macy’s and one of my co-workers was retiring. All the ladies in my dept got together and we made her a quilt. Of course she loved it and paraded it all around the store for all to see. Shortly after that we were asked by an associate in our linens dept if we would make a quilt for her if she paid us. Her theory was if we made it she could get it cheaper than the ones she sold (you know the made in China ones) and she’d be able to pick her own colors too. We did not make her a quilt….

Originally posted by Janette

OK I will play along too - my guess $1515 !!!

There is no way anyone in the UK would be willing to pay that much though

Yes they do, just stick to your guns and take a chance of telling a customer what something should really cost. You may surprise yourself. The customers who have asked for and paid for this sort of work felt I had undercharged them pricing at this rate.

There are good customers out there.

Ferret

Originally posted by Ferret

Originally posted by Janette

OK I will play along too - my guess $1515 !!!

There is no way anyone in the UK would be willing to pay that much though

Yes they do, just stick to your guns and take a chance of telling a customer what something should really cost. You may surprise yourself. The customers who have asked for and paid for this sort of work felt I had undercharged them pricing at this rate.

There are good customers out there.

Ferret

That is good to know Ferret, although I am betting that they are paying for your name and your talent too !!!

I have another customer on Thursday - so here's hoping for many more to come. I will try not to underprice myself !!!

Drum roooooolllllllllllllll, Pleeeaaassseee!!!

The winner is Annie Mueller -- only $8.00 difference - She said $1395.00

Jean Mezera was only $20.00 off -

Materials - $200.00

Cutting and piecing $ 396.00

Quilting $661.00 (5 cents per square inch)

binding $115.00

Label $15.00

Total $1387.00

This has been a real learning experience for us. Here is the story----

Received a call from a retired gentleman, who was looking for someone to make a quilt for him and his wife. They have retired comfortably in a nice home on a lake near us. He saw a hand made quilt in an Amish Shop and fell in love with it. That quilt was only a double size and he tried to get find an Amish lady to custom make a quilt, but all declined. Said they do not make custom quilts - he would just have to keep looking in the shops in the area. He was determined not to have JC Penney bed spread in their new home.

So with stacks of quilt books and magazines, I met with the couple. They did have different ideas of what they wanted, but after a few hours decided on this quilt - the one the husband wanted - red is his favorite color - and from the beginning, he wanted a mostly white background. This really was his idea.

The pattern in the magazine was for a queen size - they thought their bed was a queen size - so I quoted it using the info from the pattern at $975.00 - it really came up slightly over $1000 - but did not want them to run and thought $975.00 sounded better. I knew that both husband and wife wanted this done - and I was up front and said it would be expensive --- and because of their shopping around they knew the pricing. Well -

Then we met to pick out the fabric - wanted them to be involved in the process. That went fairly smooth - husband wanted fire engine red and bright white, wife wanted deeper red and off white - wife won this round. But they brought with their current bedspread and said the quilt needed to be this size- I discovered they have a California King on a high frame, once I was home. I called them and said the quote I gave them was out of the magazine- a queen size- yes, I can make the size they want, but it will be more. I told them I could not give them a total estimate now until I was done as I did not know how much fabric, etc - ok to go ahead and they said - go for it. So back to the store I went and bought the rest of the bolts - met them at their home and measured their bed. I needed to add another row of blocks to make the pieced section to cover the top of their bed and we decided to add a row of red and increase white area to be big enough. So that is the story----

I love the comments - I love the one that said "farting" around time. Lot's of that - meeting with them, shopping, washing and ironing the fabric. That really was not counted in - If I were to do this again - it would be at least $2000.

But I love the quilt and am somewhat attached to it - will have make one for us --- someday.

This was fun!!!! Dave & I had many discussions about how to charge for this kind of service - Dave decided to put out to all you wonderful forum friends!!! We learned alot.

PS - pin cushions are now on the web. We many varied colors and shades - please order on the web - but send us your color preference by email or you will get the luck of the draw!!!

Thanks so much!!!! Dave and Jane

Archived