BLIZZARD

Hey Dave-Jane.........are you buried in snow yet? We have blizzard warnings here. Not much snow yet, but bitter cold and winds are getting stronger by the minute. Could reach 50-60 mph. Looks like the worst is points north and NE of us. We started out the day with 41º and rain - quickly turned to snow and now it is also 20º colder. Wheeee!

Good day to hibernate with the sewing/quilting machines. :P

Hi

Just started at about 3 PM - first heavy sleet/rain and now heavy huge flake snow- upgraded to a blizzard warning!!!

Settling in for a long winter's night and day. Our bobcat started has died, so we have a wonderful neighbor that will be up in the morning with their plow!!!

The roads are bad and our daughter is due home from work in about an hour - always nervous until all are home.!!!!

Thanks for thinking of us - everyone - no matter where- stay safe!!!!

Our snow started during the night. It is still coming down, and blowing. DH went out once to blow out the driveway, it was 12"+. After he finished the city came and left a nice present. He plans to go out again after supper, so hopefully we can get out in the morning to church.

Hopefully it lets up soon, otherwise I am ready to head to someplace like Hawaii :)

Hi Linda!

Started out at 41 degrees here in Bondurant also. Then it started raining hard, then all of a sudden it got quiet! Looked outside and huge snowflakes were falling and it started getting colder. Very pretty! And thank goodness the first we've seen this season, except for a few tiny snows that don't count. Now the wind is blowing here also. There's been an emergency announcement on TV that Boone County (just to the NW of Des Moines) won't be answering any 911 calls after 7pm (1 1/2 hours ago) as it is too dangerous to send out crews. Anyone there who is stuck on the roads in this blizzard will have to wait. Many of the major roads in the state are either closed or travel not advised. I pray everyone is safe and warm tonight.

Hi Mary................I heard that same announcement about Boone County. The wind just started to pick up here and is really whipping the snow we do have........maybe 3", but with it blowing so much, visibility would be pretty low. We are just sitting tight until it's over !

We are still ahead of things compared to last year. At this time we had over a foot of snow on the ground and it never went away! Just kept piling up week after week after week. A very LONG winter.

Good to hear each of you are fine.

Ours started last night with light snow, there was enough this morning that we didn't even try to consider getting out for church (yes, the day earlier than most of you). Had a nice day here doing very little, hubby got out his Christmas village things (cleaning as he went!!!). We will see what happens for tomorrow, I'm supposed to work, but we may change that.

Sorry to hear of everyone's snow/storm problems, but you can send a little moisture this way as some very warped individual was setting fires up and down the highways for miles yesterday in the 20-30 mph winds, and we are about bone DRY!! I commend the firefighters and rescue workers as they worked their tails off in the windchills in the teens and twenties.

Prayers for everyone's safety.

Woke up this morning to about 10 inches and 2 more expected, heavy winds, snow is slowing, but then bitter cold tonight and tomorrow. Pretty much everything is closed this morning, plows have been out, but with the wind it is drifting so much, it has been announced the east - west roads have 2-3 feet drifts - so stay home!!!

My daughter is a manager at gas/convenience store which never closes - at 4 am she walked there, along with her boyfriend ( about a mile) and they got the store open. She said people are crazy - she has been busy. I suspect she will be busy as the grocery store in town is closed due the weather. We live in a town of 1800 people - 1 grocery store, 2 gas stations and no traffic lights!!!

Now to dig out!!!!

Update for the twin cities in Minnesota. Last night we had 17.1", so far the winds have not gotten really strong. Temp is -1; windchill is -23.

Many of you have heard of the Minnesota Vikings, they were suppose to play today at our indoor MOA Dome. The New York Giants, were flying in yesterday, there plane was diverted to Kansas City. However, overnight, the roof of our Dome collapsed. Our Vikings have been asking for an outdoor stadium for awhile. So I told my DH, that the Vikings should go and play at the University of Minnesota TCF Stadium. It is outdoors, and cold. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Stay safe and warm!

Sounds like the Metro Dome isn't going to be operational for a while. Vikings/Giants will be in the Detroit Dome tomorrow/Monday night. Could be interesting!

We drove to work in really slushy conditions Friday night, Saturday morning mostly rain and freezing rain. Main roads weren't bad, gravel roads were really icy. by 10:30 the snow was coming down pretty good and visibility was getting questionable. I had to alter a top for my Daughter and deliver it, so when my Honey got home from his second job, he took me to town in the pick-up. That man must really love me. It was not nice out there! Visibility was not good and roads were even worse. This morning, about a foot of snow, cold and very windy. Suppose to go to a Christmas dinner concert in southern Minn. this afternoon, but I think I'm staying put. I'm nice and warm in here. I'm one of the lunatics that wait for this all year so I am going to enjoy it. Hope everyone gets dug out and stays warm.

Guest Linda S

I occasionally miss being snowed in. I do NOT miss shoveling out! I used to live just south of Rochester, NY (Geneva) and moved right after the winter of '79. Cars being buried by the snow plows, dump trucks and backhoes taking the snow down to dump in the lake, as there was no place to pile it. I'll take the rain any day!

Yes, we had lots of rain and wind on Friday. We needed it here. That's the start of our winter. It snowed on Mauna Kea (13,796 feet above sea level) that day. It's nice to see the white top on a mountain in Hawaii. But of coarse, the kids all went surfing instead. It' a beautiful blue sky day today but I got to do a craft show this afternoon. A block party with music and hula dancers and over 100 crafters throughout Alii Drive. There are alot of snowbirds here this time of year. Be safe and warm! Great time to get some quilting done!!!

Aloha

We lucked out on the snowfall and only got about 3", but the wind has whipped those 3" into big drifts and it is very very cold. -3 windchill. Still windy, too. DH went out with his tractor and moved the snow drifts, but they will be filling back in soon. We don't have to go anywhere and just staying inside where it is warm. Lots of cancellations and postponements scrolling along the bottom of the TV last night.

Lifeflight helicopter just went over our house heading towards town. They come out of Des Moines. Always scary to see that. Expect to hear them going back toward Des Moines pretty soon.

I am an hour south of Cleveland. We are just starting to get snow. They are predicting a lot of snow & wind. . Like everyone else, I have a lot going on this week. I am helping set up for a guild Christmas party on Monday and the party is Tuesday; holding off on my cooking until I am sure it is a go. I have lots of sewing and quilting to do. I hope the power stays on.

Archived