I did it!

My New Year's resolution (quilting) is that I will no longer do very many customer quilts.

Yesterday, a customer called and I told her "NO!" I am so ready to quilt something for myself.

I have sent DeLoa my last few personal quilts to quilt for me. Of course, I love having quilts that DeLoa has quilted but I really want to do some stuff of my own!! DeLoa is my mentor and she has taught me so much!

I will keep one or two customers that I have quilted for but this year I am looking forward to ME!

Y'all, it's quite liberating!

Free at last,

Sandra

Good for you Sandra!!!!! I know how great it felt when I got up the nerve to leave my job of 21 years and my husband cut back to 2 days a week. Life truly is too short. We had to do a major tightening of the belt. We eat out much less. I was driving 60 miles round trip 5 days a week so we save on gas. I used to run into the grocery to grab something quick to fix but now I cook more. We have made other sacrifices that were tough at first but it has been so great to be home and we enjoy what we are doing so much.

Yeah, all of the above. I use to always say "yes" to customers too. Then I use to find myself all stressed out trying to get these orders done. Life IS too short. I only take what I want to take from my customers now. I don't have a problem saying "no, I just can't do it" and pass them the name of other seamtresses in town. You have to have balance in your life. Since last year's resolution, I now don't take any fittings or alterations during the evening hours when I go to the gym. Sorry, people just have to come when I'm available. I feel so much better taking the time for myself. You go girl! Post your photos so we can all see what you're doing! I Love it!!

Good for you. Why is it so difficult for us as women to claim time for ourselves and not feel guilty? My goal when I retired was to do only as much quilting for others as I could comfortably do without compromising my own activities. So far I have done pretty well with that but it is not always easy to say 'No, I can't right now' After all when we are 'retired' we are supposed to have all the free time in the world, right?

Sandra,

Good luck in taking your life back. Have fun and enjoy each day to the fullest. I'm still a newbie and just started a small business and already I think I would like more time for my own quilts. I did not advertise, only word of mouth, but I'm as busy as I want to be and some. If I didn't need the $ it would be easier to say no. Will look forward to seeing more of your masterpieces that you created. Dar

Archived