2011 Julian Opportunity Quilt

Merryjo2003

Wow, I'm off the forum for a couple of days and I have spent the last 30 minutes looking at everyone's beautiful quilts! I shouldn't let a day go by because there's just too much to see.

I was on a short deadline with this quilt. That's why I wasn't able to snoop as usual. This the Julian Woman's Club 2011 opportunity quilt. We haven't even got the tickets printed yet! The group wanted it done so we could all hand sew the binding tomorrow. We are a lucky bunch because we get to meet at Eleanor Burn's studio in Julian and sew with her on our quilt. It's her Delectable Mountains pattern with one of her new fabric lines. It will be in her booth at Paducah.

They never care how I quilt them. I love looking at all your quilts with the curved crosshatching. I've done small amounts on quilts, but haven't had any with really good spaces to play lately. This one did, so I went crazy with my new rulers!

Thanks for looking!

2011Julianwc4.jpg[/img]

2011Julianwc2.jpg[/img]

2011Julianwc3.jpg[/img]

MerryJo - I've been telling everyone that I'm going to make a new bed quilt for myself for over a year. I've bought this pattern and I'm getting my fabrics lined up to make it and Now, dear girl, you have given me the incentive to get going on it. I love the curved cross hatching with the feathers and you have helped me to solve my delima of how I should quilt it. I'm one of those people that wants all the plan laid out in my mind before I get started (not necessarily for customer quilts but definitely for my quilts) and this was the final piece. I know that when I get going on it, I'll put my own spin on it, but I love the curved cross hatching.....oh, now to get the quilt I'm working on finished so I can get going on my new bed quilt. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it! thanks for posting and it is going into my fav's right now. ;););)

Wow! Thanks for all the kind comments! I used a 23 in. curved ruler from Renae Haddadin. I took that 1/4 tape and placed it on the ruler so I could judge ruler placement for the next stitching line. I ordered Deloa's and Rhonda's rulers as they are already marked and that makes is much easier. Although they both shipped really fast, I had to start it without them because of my deadline.

I didn't get the backing until late afternoon last Monday and had to have it finished by last night as I had to be out of town today. Needless to say, I spent the last 3 days quilting my "you know what off." Quilted straight through lunch, but stopped for dinner. Then I went right back for several more hours before bedtime. Yesterday, I was less stressed because I knew I would be able to finish it by dinnertime.

I just drew in the arcs with the ruler as I went. The space kinda defined what to put in it. I just flew by the seat of my pants, as usual. I have been wanting to do something like this for a while and this particular quilt just had really good space and fabrics to play in. I had a blast, but I really wished I had more time. Well, maybe not. I always seem to work better under pressure.

Darn Merry Jo, I was so hoping you did the quilting with IQ since this was posted under IQ catagory I just thought they were computerized patterns. I don't think I could swing this quilting without using IQ. So, this was all done with rulers and hand guided? It makes the quilt that much more beautiful and you are really talented. Kerri

Archived