Am not sure what to quilt in the background....FINISHED PHOTOS ADDED

I am not entirely sure what to quilt in the background, I actually kind of like the puffy look it has at the moment, and less is more kind of thought, but I do want to quilt something there - just not sure what.

What do you think? I have thought feathers, but not sure it will suit this style.

This is completely out of the box for me, as I have been a panto girl of late !!! so dont look too close at my pebbling. !!!

post--13461905875319_thumb.jpg

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I, also, love the puffy look. But doesn't a quilt wear more in those areas? I left a small child's quilt with puffy areas (my granddaughter's ) and the puffy areas wore more quickly than the rest of the quilt. It was a lap quilt and much used and washed..

Love what you have done with the above quilt. I just might use some of your ideas for filling the circles and the pebbles area. It is a great job of quilting.

Marilyn

The more I am looking at my quilt as it progresses, the more I am inclined to leave it alone in the background areas. It is a wallhanging, so it won't matter too much about the wear and tear. It won't be washed regularly. I had already started off the quilt with quilting around the circle with my circle lord, but I am not sure my circles are perfectly circle which made it a little bit of a pain to quilt around, hence having stitched around the circles with rulers instead.

I think I am in danger of ruining it if I add anything else. You don't see some of the larger circles on this photograph which I have quilted slightly differently as they were plain and not strip pieced like the little ones.

I'll add another photo in a sec.

I would recommend one last thing. A double circle around the pieced circle, an inch or so out from it.

I think it would accentuate the circle and add a finishing touch to it. It sort of looks lonely as is.....just my opinion.

I truly LOVE what you've done with the quilt. It looks great.

You will be happy with your decision not to add more to the background. If the batting has poly in it and it won't be washed except with care, it will be beautiful for a long time.

IMHO--nothing more is needed.

Did I compliment your quilting? Well, it's great!!!! Pretty fabric too--it's hard for me to find those medium batiks. I love it!

Finished pictures please!

I agree with Georgene with one more circle around the crosshatched circles. This will frame them and also match the framing of the pebble diamonds if you make it the same distance between circle lines. I hope this made sense. But it looks great already, too!

Originally posted by sagebrushquilter

After looking at one picture...i would suggest adding a half diamond shape with pebbles ti the entire top row to complete the look of the octagons. Maybe you planned this..but just in case.

Yes this is planned in, and along the sides too. Thanks though, and well spotted. You know how these things kind of evolve, as this is nothing like my original plan before loading.

I might be adding some embellishment around the circles, (mainly to cover my dodgy outlining) so don't think I will echo the circles, but at the moment it is as is, I am just a few more rows down !!! I thought my pebbling would get better with practice, but weirdly it gets worse !!! why is that ????????

Originally posted by ffq-lar

You will be happy with your decision not to add more to the background. If the batting has poly in it and it won't be washed except with care, it will be beautiful for a long time.

IMHO--nothing more is needed.

Did I compliment your quilting? Well, it's great!!!! Pretty fabric too--it's hard for me to find those medium batiks. I love it!

Finished pictures please!

The stripes are made up with a hoffman bali pop jelly roll, the rest was just collected like you do !!!! but had a job finding them too.

Kristina,

sent you U2U back. It isn't a pattern, I just made it up as I went along. It has been on the go for months !!! just keep starting other things !!!

Kay,

Yes I hope it has enough artistic flair to be considered for that art studio !!! I have been searching through photographs to send, and drafting my personal statement which is hard. Fingers crossed, but whatever will be will be as they say !!!

Even DH suggested all it needs is inbetween the blocks needed SID'd, although he just said squished down !!! LOL !!! he creased up though when I told him about crack quilting and stitch in the ditch!!!

:):)

Archived