Quiltangle - New Passion

Thank you, Connie, but believe me, I am NOT great at drawing!! It all started with the "doodling" practice. And these books break it down, line by line! If you do a google search for Zentangle or Zentangle on fabric, you will find fantastic patterns that lend themselves to longarm quilting/playing. And it is a great stress reliever - almost as good as a glass of wine!!!;)

I've seen Zentangles, Barbara, but I love, love, love what you have done in your 'quiltangle' experiment. It's just beautiful! So free flowing and such nice spaces developed between the quilting lines. It's really super. Thanks for sharing it & your drawings.

Nancy in Tucson

Well, this was something new to me, I had never heard of a Zentangle. Your beautiful examples inspired me so much, I did an Internet search to learn more.

I learned that Zentangle is another word for Doodle. And I found a great little video that shows someone making a design from start to finish. The first video link is How To Do a Zendala -- I don't know the difference yet in Zentangle and Zendala, but maybe there is no difference?? The second link is how to start a Zentangle.

Hawaii, thank you so much for sharing with us and helping me learn something new and different that can very easily translate into quilting designs.

Georgene, thank you for sharing links. I am so excited about this technique, as it opens up a new world of quilting for me - the realm of Art Quilts. Thinking out of the box - taking one art form and translating into our longarm quilting.

Here's another inspiring one. This one demos that art nouveau (sp) style that reminds me of McTavishing.

Zentangle's Mooka

Another thing is that we could take many of our traditional longarm templates to create "bones" or registration lines for Zen Doodle Quilting, either via "threat painting" or using permanent fabric markers to draw the design in. I currently am eyeballling a hand-dyed piece that I quilted using the CL Cosmos, that leaves great space for zentangling the details!

Like I said earlier, I am not a creative person, I normally need a pattern to follow, hence my large collection of CL toys. This particular technique stretches my ability, and inspires me to want to try something new and exciting!!! I can only imagine what this would do for a longarm quilter/artiste who has a natural ability to create masterpieces on cloth!

Linda,

I am taking Sue's Zentangle class also - so exciting!!!!

And another I am excited about is Bonnie McCaffrey "DoodleZenDotZ" class, which uses bobbin thread (on a DSM) and painted dots to create designs on fabric. I can also see that technique translated to our longarming machines.

Archived