One of those "what would you do" situations

Customer A is scheduled in December.

I only take in 4 quilts in December so I can enjoy the holidays and all 4 spots are booked.

I have a waiting list of three hopeful piecers who would also like to get finished quilts before Christmas.

Customer A called me tonight letting me know that she has had a terrible month and won't have her quilt ready in time.

I think, great, no problem,I can move someone up on the list.

Then she says she is "giving" her spot to a friend.

I explain that as nice as that would be, I have people that have been on my list and waiting for a while, so unfortunately she can't give away her spot. I stopped myself from saying "you don't own the spot, I do!" She was very sweet and apologetic. I don't like to turn away customers but I do like to hold onto the feeling that I control my own business.

She was a bit shocked I think. Then she said the same friend had a quilt scheduled in February and wondered if they could swap spots. I was put on the spot, so to speak:) and said that would be fine. She was relieved and I feel OK about it. I guess I was feeling territorial about someone else making plans for me!

What would you have done?

Linda, I think you did the right thing by letting them swap, but your customer was in the wrong to "give away" her slot with you - does someone do that if they have to cancel a doctor or dentist appointment?!? No, the professional has the right to control that slot, giving it to someone who really needs it.

As always, Linda, you handled the situation with grace! Way to go....

Guest Linda S

Hmmm. I'm not sure how I would have handled it, but it would have made the fur on the back of my neck stand up for sure. It is, after all, your business. The customer does not have the right to arrange your appointments. I'm glad it seems to be working out. I can see, however, that you would have been happier making one of your eager ladies in waiting happy for the holidays.

Originally posted by Shar Schmutz

Devil's advocate: I wonder if they had swapped without your knowledge and your customer just brought her friend's quilt you would not have known. However I agree with Barb.

That's an interesting thought, Shar.

I wouldn't have known if they did that. Or if customer B just showed up without calling me first. I guess I should be glad I was consulted--but never would I make arrangements like that without checking with all parties first.

In the grand scheme of things this isn't important. It's just blankets, as Shana says!;)

My 2 cents are what is Customer A's quilt was and edge to edge, easy peasy. Customer B is heirloom, going to take 4 times as long to complete, therefore interrupting your holiday time. Is that fair?

Sounds like it all worked out, but just something to think about. I'm with the idea of "swapping" dental appointments.

I think you want to avoid ruffling feathers. You did let her know that this was not your usual mode of operation, and that you were uncomfortable with it. Perhaps she will be more careful next time. I think it is gracious to allow customers some bending room for the first time, since they didn't know your rules.

I personally would not have allowed the switch of customer A and customer B. Customer B would now be considered a "Rush Job" with a hefty fee. With 3 customers on a wait list, especially this time of year, I would have told customer A that switching spots was not going to happen.

It is a hard situation to decide what to do when something like this happens.

However, I think that I would have explained that the people on the waitlist were first in line for this 'open' spot and that quilter B could be placed on the waitlist or stay in her Feb spot. I would wonder what the ones on the waitlist would think should quilter B take a spot that they could of had. It is sorta like cutting in front of the line of people waiting to see the show just because a friend was standing there first. :mad:

I agree with everyone that having customer A make the swap "for your" leaves a bad taste in the mouth. But as a business owner you had to go with what you thought would make your customer happy, especially if customer A is a good customer. Your other customers were not short changed as the swap did not effect their place in the cue. So all things considered I would have handled it the same way you did. Even though it is a bit of a bitter pill to swallow.

As a matter of fact, I tried to trade appointments with my DH for a DR. we both see. They wouldn't let us because since we had different issues, there were different lengths of appt. allotted for us. The same might happen with a quilt. You can't switch a king into the schedule where you had a lap without some adjustment on your part.

I'd say you handled the situation well but it sure is agravating that people try to control us!!! Customer A might have her quilt ready but Customer B wants her for Christmas so talked her friend into switching!!!

I'll bet the customer has no idea that she may have crossed a line. A lot of people may not understand there are protocols. I don't know about all the protocols. She may have made the offer of you doing a friend's quilt so you wouldn't lose the business of a quilt. Since she is a non-quilter she might not realize that you would just take the next one on your waiting list. I think she would have understood either way once explained to her.

You handled it graciously and if she is a good customer of yours then you will continue to have her business. The biggest question here would have been the type of quilting required. A simple quilt job needed to be replaced with a simple one and same with a more custom job. And if you are charging quilt 1 more because it is a Dec. job then quilt 2 should realize the same.

Originally posted by ThreadWaggle

Customer A may also have felt bad about having to cancel and did not want you to lose the income. I am not saying that what she did was right, but it may have come from a good intention.

Once on the phone with Customer A, I would have done the same thing you did.

I think this hits the nail on the head - I know that I try to be especially kind and understanding when dealing with small businesses around christmas, because it can be make-or-break with them. She may have honestly thought she was helping out, making sure you still had the amount of work you wanted/needed

Archived