When and how to assess a PITA charge?

I've recently completed a total of 4 quilts for this woman, and all but one of them have been HORRORS! Honestly, I don't even refer to them as quilts, just "the next horror." Popped seams, threads not trimmed. There's friendly, and then there's these! Truthfully, my "How to make your longarmer happy" note went from 1 page to 3 after the first 2 of her quilts.

So, when do you assess this charge, and how much? Or, do you just come here and vent to all your friends who understand. I don't even want to put up photos of them on my website to admit that I finished these for her!

I agree with Dory, getting a quilt ready to put on the long arm takes time and work, if she is not willing to prepare them, then she should be willing to pay you to do it...I would call her and let her know that x needs to be done prior to loading it on the frame and she can either come and get them and do it or pay you to do it... and really, I'd find a reason to not quilt for her again....

Awww Beth! So sorry you have had these horrors. Surely because the customer is not aware or knows the proper piecing techniques nor knows how to prepare quilts for the longarm quilter.

I've had a few horrors --- but not too many.... some people were not trained, educated, or they just plain do not have a clue. So,,, give him/her the benefit of the doubt on that part.

I know you Beth, and you a sweetie and you will find a way to tell her nicely without offending. I've been there, done that with a couple of customers. They feel bad about it and will want to fix it for you.

Definitely (in a kind gentle way) tell her how to do it correctly and definitely charge her for your time.

Vicki is so wise and Dory is soooo funny--and both are right!

Conversation between Beautiful Beth and Open-seams Opal, her favorite customer---

"Hi Opal, this is Beautiful Beth, your longarmer. I have a few questions about the quilt you dropped off. There seem to be quite a few open seams--maybe you are having trouble with your machine? I have a tight schedule this month and while I would like to take care of this problem for you, I will need to charge you an extra $35 for the hour or so it will take me to make sure everything is secure. If you like, I can send it home and you can go over it one more time and then I will put it back in the rotation. Oh, and while you're investigating the problem, please clip those stray threads on the back. If you don't get those cleaned up they may show through after quilting like varicose veins. Your quilts are so nice, it would really be a shame to see those show-through threads. Remind me next time you come to give you my fabulous tip sheet that will walk you through an inspection of your tops--following through on these few tips will keep extra charges from showing up on your invoice. That will give you extra cash to buy more fabric!! We all love that!!"

Then cross your fingers that she will either get better or move on to the next victim....er...quilter.:P

Beth,

I usually will give my customers one or two times before I access my PITA fee. By the third time I see the same problem, I charge them and starting on the first of year I charge heavily for fix its. That fee is 50.00.

Along with that I now schedule drop offs, and I truely exam the quilt top in front of the customer. If I see the problem area's I document them, give the customer the chance to take it back and fix it. And I always make the customer now sign the intake sheet that describes the possible consquences of the problem area's.

I am finding that my customers are taking a little more care now.

It may have taken me several years to get on board with the intake meeting.......but it sure is making my quilting easier.

I have charges for the things you described and they are on my intake form. I have made them a little high so that the customer will take the top back home, fix the problems, and then return it for quilting. I charge for reinforcing the outer edges, fixing open seams, removing threads from the quilt top, pressing, etc. My aim is to get my customers to do their own busy work; I'm too busy to do it for them.;)

Dory I love you! LOL too funny. I agree with you 100% and Linda gives very good advice. Having a set-up fee is a good thing to have. I'm sure you explained to her some of her problems when she picked up the first one, yes? Maybe you need to have a special instruction sheet for your "special" customers. If I see a lot to stray threads when they drop off I let them know that those will show when I quilt it and give them the chance to go over it again. If it is just a few here or there I usually do it for them but tell them to be careful next time. Thankfully most of my customers are excellent!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello dear friends. Notice how calm my voice is? I've just returned at least 6 quilts to the "Horror" woman to take home for repairs. Not only because I'm booked out until about May (is what I told her), but also because there's not a one of them that doesn't need something done to it. I measured the tops, and pointed out that one was 4" longer at one end the the opposite end, or the middle, that one had gaping holes in the piecing. We're talking about putting your fist through these holes! I talked about not washing the quilt top before it's quilted because of all the threads that get caught, and trimming threads on the quilt top before she brings it to me. I did all of this quite graciously, I thought, and Toby (the dog) said that I did good job too. So, when she returns, she may not have these quilts with her, she may not want to deal with taking them apart to fix them. She might be making more tops, and hopefully will take my suggestions to heart. I'll keep you posted.

Some people's standards are just not very high. Mostly, these folks don't have unreasonable expectations about how the quilt will look after quilting. They don't care about seams shadowing through, or they would learn to press them correctly. They don't worry about stray threads, and they whip through piecing so fast they don't notice popped seams. Uneven, out of square quilts don't bother them.

Yes, I believe you have to do something about popped seams. But the rest?? Just float the top and quilt it as it comes. Note the problems in your files in case anything comes up about the issues after its quilted, but I doubt it ever will.

You aren't going to change this woman. She's probably just going to feel picked on. If her things are too much of a pain for you to deal with, that's OK..but don't expect miracles. The only comment I have ever gotten from an imperfect piecer is "I know its not perfect. Just do the best you can."

No matter how many issues you correct, there is still time for them to screw up the quilt after it leaves your shop by poorly applied binding!

Lynn (zora) said it right. Some people just want them (what I call) "Nailed together"

I just got a quilt from a newbie quilter (first one) and it's got dog hair all over it. Ewww. It was dropped off to me by a 3rd party. I havent ever met this customer and I haven't had a chance to get a good look at it yet but in a few minutes, I'll give it a quick glancing over and if it's as bad as I fear, it's going straight back to her to remove that dog hair before I touch it. A couple of hairs here and there...I can tolerate but this is covered. Eww!

Archived