Lovely Wool Appliques

I've been quilting up a storm the last few months and just finished a lovely wool applique sampler. I used my Budding Ferns Block 6, freehand texture, outlining around applique, and SID around the blocks. The border fabric was so pretty, I just did a simple Beadboard design. I used a little Anne Bright flower on the acorn and the green circle to tack them down.

Customer was "over the moon" with the results. She said this was a block of the month a couple of years ago from the Folktales shop in Lynden, WA.

Quilted with CompuQuilter, Freehand, and templates.

Several different threads were used.

Here's a teaser. The rest of the pics are on Webshots.

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/582382635gPWsyy

post--13461908200002_thumb.jpg

Darlene that quilt is stunning! I too have quilted some wool quilts and they are alot of fun, I also discovered that some of the applique really needs quilting in it and it is a little scarey to quilt on top of a beautiful applique but it really adds texture, detail, and looks better when it is hanging up...great job!

Thank you so much gals! I was at a day-long "sew in" and sitting across from the lady that made this. She was putting the blocks together that day, so I got to watch it's progress from blocks to quilt top. Little did I know that I would be quilting it for her.

Each applique is attached with hand embroidered buttonhole stitch in matching floss. She did an exquisite job of it, and really, all I had to do was support what she had already done.

When she came to pick it up, her hands flew to her face and then over her heart. She was speechless and I thought she was going to cry. I knew she was going to hang it in her new home, so I attached a hanging sleeve from leftover backing fabric and trimmed the quilt, ready to bind. She picked it up at 4 PM and had the binding finished that night.

Adding a hanging sleeve takes so little time, it's something I do for customers that I know are going to hang their quilts, and for quilt shops and teachers. Just a little added perk that I don't charge for.

Right now I'm working on my 3rd Judy Niemeyer Echo Wave quilt. This gal saw the teacher's sample and took the class just so she could have me quilt it. That's very humbling, and a bit nerve-wracking. Problem is, her piecing is NOT accurate and I'm unable to do what I did on the last 2. Still, I think she'll be happy. Sure hope so. No matter how many years I've been at this, I still stress over every quilt. But I SO enjoy what I do! :)

Archived