Big quilt off the frame

Quilt biography ;):

Maker--84 years old and this is her FIRST quilt! She made it in three months and it's a monster--109" by 126". The bottom row and border are pooled on the floor.

Methods--all hand-appliqued and when she got to the border she thought it needed something extra so she "tossed" oak leaves and acorns scrappily about!

Her piecing is lovely and I could see progress in the applique as I stitched along.

She had the entire thing basted for hand-quilting and finally was convinced by a mentor to bring it to me so she could spend time piecing quilts for all the members of her family!

This is the first of two I've finished for her.

Hooray for Betty!:cool:

post--13461908492721_thumb.jpg

Beautiful Job! I love how your quilting makes a wreath around the applique. I am so tickled with this woman's ability at her age, my dear mother quilted extensively for 20 years and in the last few years of her life she lost her ability to focus and just couldn't do it any more; she was 85 when she passed last year. Hooray for Betty! Hooray for Linda!

Great work ,this quilt will be saved to my keeper file ,I can hardly wait to see the next one ,whew ,I hope I can still think at that age much less quilt ,I also love your leaves you quilted ,I thought I loved feathers until I saw this .

Guest Linda S

It's a gorgeous quilt Linda, and I'm really glad a friend convinced her to bring it to you for quilting. Now it's spectacular!

Archived