Every quilt has a story...

I'd like to share the story of this very special quilt. The quilt is not very fancy or even beautiful, but the story behind it is awesome.

We have a 20yr old son who is currently living in New Zealand with a host family. They treat him like he is their own son and the mom dotes on him to no end. We traveled to NZ recently and met this wonderful family. We had some gifts to give, but none seemed quite adequate to express our gratitude.

As we got to know this family, we found out that they had a son who passed away suddenly at age 23. Ryan died a few years ago; he was autistic and also suffered from epileptic seizures.

After hearing about Ryan, I knew that I wanted to make them a Tshirt quilt out of his old tshirts. So one day I was talking about my quilting and explained how tshirt quilts were made and how much I enjoyed making them because I really felt like I knew the person after working with their shirts...etc.

Then the next day I made the offer to make the quilt for them and the mom kept saying oh no maybe just a pillowcase, just a pillowcase. Then we got online so that I could show them how they turn out and what a wonderful keepsake it would be for them. So she said that her husband would have to go through the boxes and pick out 9 or 10 shirts, but that she just could not do it herself.

We brought the tshirts home and I started to work on this quilt. And sweat. I had all the shirts laid out and had a plan. There was one tshirt that was super soft and I thought oh this will be perfect for the pillowcase. It was curious though because this was the only shirt that was cut. I figured they started to cut out the shirt fronts for me and then decided that would not be such a good idea...then I had goosebumps all over and realized that this was

probably the shirt that Ryan was wearing when he died.

The quilt was finished and mailed off to NZ. The parents waited until the house was empty before opening the package. And just as they expected, they both broke down in tears. They appreciated all of my work and said there was no way they could repay our kindness. And the tshirt on the pillowcase was the last tshirt Ryan wore.

What a wonderful gift and so thoughtful of you. Anything belonging to a deceased child takes on great significance, after 16 years I still can't bear to part with certain items of clothing.

This special quilt will be a comfort and so much nicer than T shirts being packed away in boxes..

Very sweet and touching story, I love the quilt, especially the ones from Wales as my MIL is from Wales and I recognized the emblems right away,. he must have participated in some special olympics in other countries. Very sweet of you to do this for them, Quilters are just the best!

What a heartwarming gift! Thanks for sharing the story and the pictures. You did a wonderful job on the quilt and pillowcase. I know what you mean when you say you feel like you know the person you make the t-shirt quilts for. That happened to me when I made one for dad of a 17 year old kid that was killed in a car wreck of the kid's t-shirts. It's very nice that this couple is taking good care of your son, too.

Dear Anne,

You have no idea how much your precious gift will give this family. Since we lost our daughter 7 months ago, everything that she touched has so much more significance. We love it when people think of her and talk about her. The fact that you took all these memories and put them together for them is amazing. The thought that you looked at these shirts, handled them, and arranged them so nicely; then put such caring in to quilting it and binding it, and shipping it to them. It is much more than a quilt to them. It is a gesture of caring that will truly bring them comfort as they mourn. It is so awesome that there are people like you who take that extra effort with such kindness. You are blessed.

Peggy

Who would have thought that your son going to NZ and he would connect with a family that would need you to do this for them---Providence at work!!

Wonderful job!!

And thank you to Peggy for expressing the emotions coming from the other side!!

Archived