NQR - Is it really worth the effort?

I decided this year to try growing some tomatoes on my deck in planters. I got the plants in the planters around the beginning of June. I've been dutifully watering and tending to them on a daily basis. Then we were hit with the drought in Iowa in July. A full .5 inches of rain for the month.

In spite of being late getting the tomatoes started and in spite of the drought, I just finished picking the first ripe tomatoes to appear and I feel so blessed to have found this beauty hanging on the vine....

post--1346190892783_thumb.jpg

And that's why I wait and let my friends grow tomatoes and give me all the ones they can't possibly eat. LOL. I feel your pain. I tried not to laugh too.

My MIL planted tomatoes and beans one year and they were being eaten by something before we could get them picked. Couldn't catch what ever it was. Thought it might be a opposum or something, but noooo...one night I saw the culprit. It was a RAT!!!!! I've lived here for years and never saw a rat. I guess the neighbor's fruit trees always kept them across the road. I tore out all the vegetables in the yard and said no more farming in my yard. I will buy tomatoes and beans from now on.

My MIL used to have a fit because I wouldn't make jelly out of all of the strawberries grown around here. We honestly only use two jars a year and I can buy the brand I like at my local store for under $3 a jar. Really??? I would rather spend my time and money on something I like to do. I stand in awe of all my friends willing to put in the effort and money to have their gardens...just not going to do it myself anymore. Here's hoping you get a little more crop.

Originally posted by hmerrill

LOL but you grew it :P

and quite proud of it Heidi. ;) Unfortunately, there's not enough there to really enjoy the fruits of my labor. :o

I'm taking it to work tomorrow. It should be good for quite a few laughs.

I should proably stick with quilting and ditch the vegetable gardening. :)

That's a lovely little thing!! Quite a lot of effort but it looks delicious!

My friend at work had a tomato plant in a container right by her front door. As the tomatoes formed she pampered and babied the plant, watering and waiting for that first red one. She watched that first big tomato and watched it and watched it. The weather turned cool and it seemed like it would never turn red. She complained to her hubby daily. One morning she walked out and that big tomato was bright red and looked delicious. She was overjoyed! Unfortunately, her smart a$$ hubby had colored it with a red felt-tip pen!!

:P:P:P

Oh, how we covet that first tomato ! We are getting several now, but DH has put gallons of water on them. They are OK, but not as sweet as tomatoes growing naturally with rain now and then. Still good though.

This has NOT been a good growing year for gardens in our part of the world. I'm sure even the Farmer's Markets are suffering.

Debbi,

I had exactly the same thing, I've now gotten a total of 3 tomatoes from my plant and none of them are bigger than 1 inch....I didn't realize that I had a "Barbie" tomato plant! Personally, I don't think it was worth all the water and time! Did I mention that I also had to spray the plant with bug spray so now I'm not even sure I want to eat them...as filling as they will be!!!! :)

I am with you Debbie

I too tried to grow some tomatoes for the first time in about 20 years. I had 4 patio plants and one hanging plant with cherry tomatoes. I think I got about one dozen cherry tomatoes, which I had to pick as they started to turn color because they were being eaten by bugs, birds or something. The patio plants were even a better story. First 7 tomatoes were getting pretty big as in 2 to 3 inches early on in June. Then just one day when I went to water them the tomatoes were all missing. Plants not bent, broken or anything then I look all over the yard thinking maybe the dogs stole them. but no trace of any tomatoes. I interrogated all the grandkids that might have had an idea to pick them and no luck

there. So I put wire cages around them and wrap them with rabbit wire. tinfoil on the top. Quite the funny looking traps. We had more flowers so sure enough I got another 8 or so tomatoes starting to grow again

This time being sure I was protecting them from whatever was after them.

Well, one day my grandkids come running in side from the pool and they have a half eaten yellow tomatoe that was dropped down at their feet from a tree and what was up in the tree but a squirrel. that critter had my tomatoes up in his tree for a good month waiting on them to ripen. then he drops one down at the kids and I swear he said now go show this to your Gramma!! Lol As the second batch started to ripen the first one was on the vine still but half eaten. So I decided before the rest of them went a second time I would pick them myself and let them ripen inside. I ended up with about 6 small , like 2 to 3 inch tomatoes. I agree not worth all the trouble.

Ok Debbi I just can't resist. I'm at work and there is a gal upstairs that just keeps bringing in bowls of cherry tomatoes. She was bringing smaller bowls but today brought in a huge mixing bowl full of them and said she had that much more to pick tonight, then she tells me they are all from one plant!!!!! She said she could give you the name of the nursery where she got her plant. :P

post--13461908965302_thumb.jpg

Archived