More surgery for me

Oma

As most of you know...I was diagnosed with breast cancer last month. The Surgeon told me it was good news - bad news. The bad news was I have cancer...the good news was I caught it early so it was Stage 0 and the non-spreading kind and completely treatable. I would have to have surgery and 7 wks of daily radiation, but no chemo. I had a "lumpectomy" last Tuesday.

I saw the surgeon today. It was good news- bad news again. The good news is she got all of the cancer and she tested two lymph glands and they were negative....the bad news....she missed one of the margins and I have to go back into surgery next Tuesday to have some more removed.

I think I'm tired today.

Ack. You get to the point where you just want them done with poking and prodding you, don't you? I hope the surgery is minimally invasive and that you recover very quickly.

Oma, while I am sorry you have to have more surgery, I am just delighted to know they got it so early!!! My sister-in-law had this exact case more than 10 years ago and hasn't had even a scare since! The radiation will make you tired but no chemo is a gift!!! I am so so glad for you that they caught it early! Blessings.

Originally posted by Linda S

Ack. You get to the point where you just want them done with poking and prodding you, don't you? I hope the surgery is minimally invasive and that you recover very quickly.

Nope...same surgery as before...she will go in the same incision as before and take out some more tissue. She says I have plenty...I told her I would like to have the same amount on BOTH sides please. I have two incisions because they took two lymph nodes (they were negative). she said it would be quick...just 15 minutes. I told her it would be 15 minutes for her...I have to drive 120 miles the day before to pre-admit and lab work again then drive back up the next day for the whole procedure...AGAIN. The last time it took a long time. From 9:30 until almost 5:00. They had trouble with my B/P. That's not 15 minutes for me. Silly doctor. And we aren't even discussing the recovery time at home. Tomorrow I will be upbeat again. Today and I am just tired for lack of a better word.

Oma, I'm so sorry to hear that you have to go through more surgey but at the same time happy for you that this was caught so early. You have a right to feel tired. Indulge yourself this evening, put on your most comfy jammies and maybe a little comfort food would help, too! I'll keep you in my prayers for a quick recovery.

Originally posted by ffq-lar

Dear Oma--I wish I could wrap you up in a gentle hug (being careful of the tender spots) so you can rest your head and your mind a bit. Your strong spirit will sustain you and you'll bounce back when you're mind is ready to. We're all here for you and praying for rest and healing.

What a totally comforting picture you paint and I wish you could too. Then I could pick your brain when you weren't paying attention and maybe soak up a little bit of your talent. I'm so bad.

When I worked in the ER I used to hug people and pat their back and say "There, there, everything is going to be ok. You just rest here a bit." It always made things better they would tell me later. I never forgot the importance of the human touch and the compassionate heart. I would welcome yours.

I have the most compassionate husband (who is also a nurse) so he is a Godsend to me. We have six of the best and most caring kids in the world with spouses just like them and then we have 9 of the most kindest grandkids...all have stayed in very close contact me through this and have been so supportive and attentive even though they are all in a different state from me. I'm am so truly blessed I can't even justify one ounce of self-pity. Well, sometimes my dog acts stupid, but she's cute so I get over it.

I was just tired this morning and the news took me to my knees for a short time, but all of you have made it better and I thank you for all the prayers and good thoughts. God has always taken great care of me and mine and he will get us through this too. I keep reminding myself that this is an inconveneince and it's just messing with my quilting time and I want to get it over with.

Oma, I'm so sorry to hear you have breast cancer!! I missed some time here and missed your first post about it. You are blessed that it was caught early and also that you have such a loving, caring family to get you through but you deserve a day to be tired and discouraged. It must be emotionally draining for you all!! I'm praying and thinking of you. {{{{{Hugs}}}}} for you!!!

Oh, Oma, I pray that you will be over this chapter in your life soon. Thank God you caught the cancer so early and you will be just fine...eventually. It is a real "kick in the ass" to have to go through the surgery again, but you will manage it and be well. I'm so glad you have such a loving family and a live in nurse to help you through this. You are luckier than many people, so chin up girl. (((((HUGS))))) are being sent to you. Please keep us posted on how you are.

How disappointing, I'm sorry this happened to you! You are right when you say God will take care of us, because He does and will. I LOVE your phrase: I keep reminding myself that this is an inconveneince and it's just messing with my quilting time and I want to get it over with. God Bless You, Oma! You and your family are in our prayers!

Archived