Anybody ever do this????

I think it is time to sit down and have a cup of coffee...has anyone ever loaded a backing, and then the batting and when getting ready to load the quilt realize that everything is on sideways and I have to take it all off and start over...did I mention that it is a king size quilt? Oh well, at least I didn't quilt it sideways too...but .....I feel like I wasted the last hour....

I just did this last night, Vicki! The backing was Christmas trees that go from top to bottom. The panto was going to be Tree Top. Well, I didn't realize that the client had enough backing but the trees would be going the WRONG direction for the panto and it would have looked awful! She had two extra inches going the other direction, so I sewed leaders on the top and bottom and reloaded. After quilting a row and a half and the thread hit the white parts of her quilt, it looked awful, (thread was appropriately named "Ash" and it was Lava thread that I special ordered for her -- Ash does not look good on white snow!) I ended up unstitching and calling her for the okay on another color. All this while I'm on my . and feeling yucky. :blink:

I once loaded my quilt and started quilting before I realized I had the backing on upside down. Had to rip it out...take everything undone...flip the backing over and start over. It did teach me a lesson though because now I always double check that.

It seems like it always happens with the large quilts! I remember when I first started long arming, how many times I would call the hubby downstairs to remove the leveler bar because I had loaded the quilt sandwich above it instead of below it (and didn't have zippers yet.) Yup, it is those times when sitting down and having a cup of coffee is the best thing to do.

So glad to know I am not alone, there was no real direction to the quilt, it is a double irish chain but I am quilting directional feathered hearts in the big plain areas and wanted to be sure the quilt was loaded in the right direction. It is an antique quilt so I took it upstairs and laid it on the guest bed to see which way it fit the best and then of course, I had to reload the backing so I wouldn't have to quilt the hearts sideways, it would have been bad to have the quilt on the bed and the hearts going side to side rather than upright...and this is going into a book so it has to be right! Duh moment for me!

I have gotten done with the quilting before realizing the backing was upside down! Good thing it was a quilt I made for a friend who is also a quilter. We decided that when she peaked under her quilt and looked at the backing it was the right direction to see from that angle. I try to stop and think a little more now.

Archived