What I'm working on

Trying to get in the grove and get this customer quilt done.  It is a Baltimore Album quilt and this is just a border!  The detail is just unbelievable.  I have a ton of SID to do before I ever get to the background area and those HST's are 1" finished!  I'm about 3/4's of the way done with the first border but just doing the SID.  I've got background decision made but that is a long way off.  I thought I'd share some with you all.  It is a privilege to work on a quilt of this caliber but it is a lot of pressure!  Oh did I mention the backing is dark so I have to use different color top and bobbin threads? Thankfully she let me use monofilament thread for the SID.  I'm using silk thread for the rest.  I'm using 2 layers of QD wool so hopefully that will keep my tension in check.

post-2404-0-42303000-1367108463_thumb.jpg

That's beautiful applique.  Do you ever find that the SID stitches loosen up after the background stitching is done?  That happened to me recently.  I didn't expect it, but it made sense once I thought about it.

Annie no that hasn't been my experience.  I get as close as I can to the applique.  There are different philosophies on whether to SID first or do the background first.  I find I have to SID first or the applique distorts on me.  I use a very small stitch.  I had to unstitch the first pass I did for the SID on the inside of the triangles and I knew my tension was about perfect because it was a bear to unpick it!

Thanks everybody.  This is my last customer quilt for a while, if not forever, who knows.  Nothing like going out with a bang.  The struggle with this quilt is how little quilting space there is.  

The order I'm quilting in is this.  I'm SID'ing the red triangles first, down the straight side and back up the zig zag.  then I'm changing to the goldish background thread and SID'ing the light side and doing the little feathers on that side.  My goal was to push back the cream color and really let the red pop.  Once that part was done I went back to the SID'ing of the first border.  I'm doing some stitching in the flowers to add dimension on, they don't need more color, just texture.  Hopefully that is the right call.  I'll go back in later with different thread colors to add features to the vases as needed, those are really about the biggest part of the border and there are a few areas I can add some detail to.  On the vase pictured you can see the top piece has circles on it so I just quilted it off in sections forming the square frames.  I thought that added just dimension but didn't add more business.  I'm kind of doing that as I go.  I've now decided I have to go back into the tulips and add some stitching too to give them a bit of shape.  More stops and starts, yippee!  

You do such beautiful work Heidi!  May I ask some questions as a novice longarm quilter?  When you are doing SID, how do you handle the stops & starts?   Knot & bury?  Back stitching? Use of Fray Check ? Differences according to threads?  I'd love to hear the experience of other forum members as well.  Thanks.

Buttonflower

You do such beautiful work Heidi!  May I ask some questions as a novice longarm quilter?  When you are doing SID, how do you handle the stops & starts?   Knot & bury?  Back stitching? Use of Fray Check ? Differences according to threads?  I'd love to hear the experience of other forum members as well.  Thanks.

Buttonflower

I always knot an bury, always.  I don't find it anymore time consuming then doing the tiny stitches, etc.  I try to travel as much as I can.  For this border I can do the main sections without any stops and starts, just keep looping my way in and around down one side of the vine up the other, etc but I chose to do it in 3 sections because it is so big and intricate.  I will go back in and add detail with stops and starts when I can't get into the middle without stitching, for instance in the flowers with centers.  I'll try to get a close-up of some of the center flowers so you can see what I mean.  

Bonnie not to worry I won't stop quilting and I'm not getting rid of my machine, unless of course I win the lottery and then I'm buying a brand new one with quilt glide and bliss!  I'm just not going to quilt for customers.  My day job is stressful and busy and I have never not had a waiting list in the last 4 years.  I just need time for some of my stuff and my sanity.  

Archived