Help!! I'm such a dope sometimes!!

I was hired to quilt the Opportunity Quilt for Cabin Fever Quilters, the guild in Port Townsend. I actually belong to two guilds since moving--Sequim's Sun Bonnet Sues and CFW. I felt really privileged to be asked to give them a bid. I still quilt the Opportunity Quilt for my guild in Quincy, CA, and always do it for $250 plus batting. CFW thought that was okay, so they hired me. 

Here's where the problems begin.  I just finished the quilt today and got it off the frame. Its a beautiful quilt and I like what I did. In fact, I tried two new things and both worked fabulously. But...I didn't use black batting. The lady who originally talked with me about this, several months prior to my getting the top to work on, asked about black. I totally spaced it. I really don't think its a huge problem, EXCEPT on the back. I have batting pokies of cream (Hobbs 80/20) coming through in places. What can I do? Any ideas? Has anyone every tried spritzing with water and letting the top "relax" for a bit? Does that help? What about spritzing and a brief spin in the dryer??

Its not the end of the world that I didn't use black; however, I'm really hating the pokies. Do I point them out? Do I act like that's normal? Do I wait for them to say something??? Help!!!!!

post-2881-0-37515500-1392686096_thumb.jpg

The pokies are all on the back; the front is perfect. The back is a red print with some little flowers on it. Had it been a solid black back, I like to think I'm smart enough that I'd actually have used black batting.  At least, that's what I'm telling myself!!

Hi Dory! Do as Dell and Lyn suggested and use the appropriate color Pigma pen to color the most offensive pokies. Don't go crazy and try to get them all! Step back and really look to see if they're visible from normal viewing distance. Then go to town.

And perhaps try shaking it out and spritzing it first to see if that relaxes things a bit.

The quilt is gorgeous and what I can see of the quilting is fabulous! Great stuff!

Dory, I will find tomorrow if the judge sees my pokies. I used a black pen on the back of a dark green and tiny black print. I 'll let you know. Judged all day and I'M BEAT.   Our judge has been so impressed how we organized everything!  We will finish tomorrow. hang the show Thursday and showtime is Friday and Saturday. Wish everyone could come!!!!

Update!!!!!! Judge never said anything today about my pokies!!  Guess what? One got a 2nd!

Dory, you did a beautiful job on a very lovely quilt!  We are our own worst critics.  I would to as Linda says, just color the most offensive ones.  Sometimes I toss a quilt in the dryer, very low heat, with a clean tennis ball.  Kinda fluffs the quilt a little and relaxes the fabric.  A lot of the time, the pokies just disappear.

You ladies are all so nice! I so appreciate your help!!

I will be picking up some pigma pens at Joanns on my next trip to town. Seems they might come in handy.

Oh, I had black batting; just didn't remember to use it!!!  STUPID

I also e-mailed Jamie Wallen (aka the nicest man on earth) and asked him how he deals with pokies. He feels they're generally caused by the backing fabric and not the batting itself. Sort of makes sense, especially since I used a new needle and haven't had this problem before--not even on solid backs.  Anyway, he says they will often suck back in as the quilt relaxes. There, I'm not delivering this quilt until March when I'm back home! That should give it lots of time to relax!!!

Here are a couple more pics of the quilt top. I really tried for simple quilting; the piecing is just so pretty!  I was so proud of myself for the border design...its sort of mirrored on either side of the red chevron. I love when I come up with ideas that work. And this is the first time I've made the swirl big enough to be a background...another first! 

Linda, Carol Fallert has already had a show up here and sent an e-mail out that she will be allowing people to come to her PT studio by appointment. She's a nice lady with incredible talent!

post-2881-0-90504400-1392777222_thumb.jpg

post-2881-0-59718900-1392777249_thumb.jpg

Archived