"Our" MQX Blue Ribbon Winner!!

Here is Barbara's quilt with her big blue ribbon hanging at MQX (much thanks to Andrea Brokenshire for sharing photos)...

Woohoo!!

17090800815_59ee655175.jpg10997629_10204096547481354_697595547822026025_n by Valerie/Pumpkin Patch Quilter, on Flickr

16470652243_44db30377e.jpg10552626_10204096547641358_5438601799567632708_n by Valerie/Pumpkin Patch Quilter, on Flickr

Pieced by Barbara Moran with help from Nancy Arseneault, and quilted by me!  Woohoo!!  

Out of likes for the day but thank you!!!

Andrea - YES!  I buried every stinking thread break in that quilt and it was likely near 1,000...and it was quilted entirely with 100 wt. Invisifil thread.  I think it added several days to the quilting process and took a few days off of my life!!!  NEVER will I do THAT amount of cross hatching behind THAT intricate of appliqué again!  LOL  But it sure looks pretty doesn't it?  <3

Thank you!!!  OH my goodness I'm so thrilled!!  It just motivates me more to get my Dahlia finished so I can have it ready for next year.  I have been saving my $ and pestering Hubby that I want to BE THERE to see my quilt hanging!  ....maybe meet some of my quilting pals "in real life" too!!!  :)

Jennifer - I SO agree!!!  It's fun to see a pal get recognized...and with how hard I worked on this quilt...oh man it feels great to be included and honored as a quilter as much as the piecer.  Though Barbara let me tell you - she has FAR more patience than I to do all that appliqué!

It is such fun to recognize a name from the forum on a winners list! You 3 did a beautiful job on that work of art! Congratulations to all!

Valerie:

Congratulations on your win, and blue ribbon.  

I like the idea you put on your website that the quilter should always get a ribbon even though the piecer(s), submitted the quilt for judging.  If not, the quilters should incorporate their name of business name into all of their quilting, so they get some recognition, and someone else cannot take credit for your outstanding work.  

When I took a lesson from Claudia Pfeil, she stated it would cost 2,000 to 3,000 Euros to pay for the quilting on the quilts that she had quilted that had won awards.  I would like to know how many hours you spent on quilting the top?  Checking your fee schedule, I was wondering your rate schedule for this type of work?   I was wondering if quality quilters like yourself do this work on the cheap to get name recognition/your enjoyment, or do they charge appropriately for their time involved.  I ask, because I do not believe most piecers would pay for the actual time that goes into quilting a top.  

Congratulations again, and I liked your website and the links/instructions you shared.

Cagey

Cagey,

First, thank you so much for your kind words!  I truly appreciate it!  

I wouldn't feel comfortable sharing exactly what was paid but often it is inquired of me as to "how much" my work would cost.  What I can tell you is this - every client is quoted individually.  Depending on the amount of quilting, the intensity of quilting, the amount of time put into even just planning of the quilting - the price will vary.  I can tell you that for this quilt in particular it was my understanding several - including well known long arm quilters were considered and Claudia's quotes are right in the ball park for the type of quilting we are discussing.  Of course the more well known, highly awarded quilters are going to come at a higher premium.  On that same note - I can not, and would not work for free - nor do I recommend that of any other quilter.   :)  To give away your work for free truly works against us all...and doesn't give people who know little to nothing about long arm quilting the impression that what we do has value.

I can also tell you that for quilts I anticipate will require a large amount of time on my schedule I will ask a deposit.  I may also as for additional fees for materials that I do not normally carry on hand.  This quilt in particular has well over 100 hours and spent about 7 weeks in my home - not all of that time was on the frame...I would say four to five weeks total frame time.  Keep in mind I have three children and don't quilt on the same kind of daily schedule the way other quilters might.

When we discussed this quilt MQX wasn't a thought - all I knew is that it was going to ultimately be a bed quilt that would likely hang in the owner's local guild show.  It is a BIG guild and a very good regional show...but national recognition was the farthest thing from our minds so you can rest assured, no work was gifted in the hopes of getting my name out!   :)  LOL

After winning 3rd place in the guild show Janet-Lee encouraged me to contact Barbara and Nancy about entering it in MQX.  Because Barbara is not a show quilter or really interested in becoming a show quilter I wasn't sure if they would be interested...I'm so glad they were - and now they have quite a story to tell!   :)

PRICE is a sticky subject and I have to share my thoughts on this...for you and for others reading.  There's a lot of people with the impression that nobody will pay for quality work - this is really just not true.  But - that said - there are some logistics that go into finding the "right" clients.  I do not accept every quilt that comes my way - nor am I the appropriate quilter for every piecer out there.  What I have found is that yes, there are lots of long armers out there giving away their work for peanuts.  I don't fret over them - they haven't infringed on my business to date and I don't think that they will.  What happens when you begin to charge what your WORTH, is that your client base changes.  Yes, you'll lose customers.  But your demographic will shift.  You will start to attract folks whose budget you do fit appropriately and who have an appreciation for what you do.  There are many many people out there who will pay you good hard earned money for quality work.  But you also have to stop marketing to discount shoppers.  NOT that I have a problem with finding work that will fit your budget...I am not knocking those folks AT ALL because I do have those clients who just don't have hundreds of dollars to spend.  But I also find that if someone asks you to take $70 when you've quoted $100  - they ultimately don't respect you or what you do.  They want cheap work - and my goal is not to provide cheap work, it is to create quality customized art work.  NOT everyone can do what we do - and we need to remember that.  What I am saying is...just because I'm not in everyone's budget does not mean that I am NOT worth what I charge.  I cannot afford a BMW on my stay at home Mom wage...that is just my reality.  Does that mean BMW should drop their prices so I can own one?  Of course not.  It's a quality luxury vehicle - and worth a higher premium than say - my minivan!  LOL  I focus on specialized custom professional work - and I do have affordable options for folks who cannot or do not want heirloom custom quilting.  I have worked very very hard at my art form, just as many of you have, investing a LOT in terms of money, time, and effort into improving...and that is something that never ends.  All of that has VALUE.

So the moral of the story is...charge what your worth, not what people want to pay!   :)  Even in my local area, where our economy is pretty devastated and there is quite a lot of poverty - I still have clients who pay good money for custom work.   :)  So while I believe a market can become saturated with long arm quilters (not the case where I am) - I also believe that no matter where you are, you can find your clientèle.

I hope that helps answer your questions!   :)

Valerie:

Congratulations on your win, and blue ribbon.  

I like the idea you put on your website that the quilter should always get a ribbon even though the piecer(s), submitted the quilt for judging.  If not, the quilters should incorporate their name of business name into all of their quilting, so they get some recognition, and someone else cannot take credit for your outstanding work.  

When I took a lesson from Claudia Pfeil, she stated it would cost 2,000 to 3,000 Euros to pay for the quilting on the quilts that she had quilted that had won awards.  I would like to know how many hours you spent on quilting the top?  Checking your fee schedule, I was wondering your rate schedule for this type of work?   I was wondering if quality quilters like yourself do this work on the cheap to get name recognition/your enjoyment, or do they charge appropriately for their time involved.  I ask, because I do not believe most piecers would pay for the actual time that goes into quilting a top.  

Congratulations again, and I liked your website and the links/instructions you shared.

Cagey

Archived