Bindings

I hate handwork. I want to love it, and I too, am sewing on a binding right now. Gag. My stitches are uneven, I want them perfect, so I try to pay attention, then my needle breaks my thread at the eye. Gosh, that makes me so mad. Then I have to rethread the needle and there is not enough thread to tie a knot. Grrr. But, I have another quilt to sew another binding. I plan to practice till it's perfect. Seriously, I want to have very neat handwork, and I want to love it. Why don't I?

I'd love to find someone that truly loves hand binding quilt tops, so I could have them bind mine.  I hate it with a passion.  Everyone at the guild tells me how much fun it is to watch TV and bind quilts.  I want to shoot myself in the head, stuck fingers, sore fingers, thread breaks, I cannot see, etc.  the list goes on and on.  

The one saving grace, some guild members said they would help me in a binding bee to finish a quilt for a show if I was interested.  You got to love quilters and their generosity.   

Cagey

I'd love to find someone that truly loves hand binding quilt tops, so I could have them bind mine.  I hate it with a passion.  Everyone at the guild tells me how much fun it is to watch TV and bind quilts.  I want to shoot myself in the head, stuck fingers, sore fingers, thread breaks, I cannot see, etc.  the list goes on and on.  

The one saving grace, some guild members said they would help me in a binding bee to finish a quilt for a show if I was interested.  You got to love quilters and their generosity.   

Cagey

I'm with ya!! When I had my quilting business, I offered the service, but took the quilts to another lady to do the bindings. She did a beautiful job. 

So far, I think I like stitching my bindings by hand. I can watch TV and do this also, not during sports though. Maybe football because after they make the play the commentators have to talk about it a while but not basketball. You look down and you have missed something good. I love Hoops. College ball is just getting into play. Women's ball is my passion. I am just 40 miles from Baylor. The women looked really good last night. Rated #1 in the Big 12. TIME WILL TELL THOUGH.

If I am entering a quilt to be judged, I will hand bind...........otherwise for kids' quilts and utility quilts, I machine bind.   In our quilt group, 4 of us have longarm machines and do the quilting , so the other gals take over the binding duties.........works for me !   

Mary Beth and Cagey, here is a tip to help with tangled fhread.

Assuming you are right handed, draw your thread toward your left shoulder and twist your needle 1/4 turn as you are drawing your thread. This helps to eliminate most tangles. Beeswax on your thread helps also.

I prefer to hand stitch binding, and enjoy doing it.  I do a fair number of Quilts Fir Kids quilts, though, and those have to be machine stitched.

One trick I learned years ago was to use safety pins when pinning the binding prior to hand stitching.  Great for eliminating pin pokes, pins catching on the quilt when I adjust it to the next area, and I have an easy time folding it to take with me or put it away for a while.  And now that I have Emmeline, I don't need those pins for holding the layers together while I quilt on my DSM!

I am with the machine binding group...I stitch the binding onto the back, pull it to the front and use a serpintine stitch that I have on my Bernina 630...I think the gentle wobble looks just fine and adds a sutle decorative touch!!!!  I do change the length and width of the stitch to suit my fancy as the 630 has very fine adjustments.  Too many pokes and uneven stitches when I hand bind.....I do like handwork at times...but then I work on cross stitch or knitting.....I don't competitvely quilt....but if I did...I would be tempted to put my binding on by machine and let the judges howl...tee hee....Lin

Ya I am with the machine group I know it is stronger than my hand binding. I like to do the binding with the flange and you stitch in the ditch between the two colors on the front. Also anther tip glue bast the binding over the edge it eliminates the pins..this can be done for machine or hand bound quilts

Those little plastic mini "clothespin" like clips are great for hold the binding in place while machine sewing or hand sewing.............no more stabs with the pins.  I got some for Nancy's Notions once and liked them so much, I bought a package of 50 !

I'm with the machine ladies. I've never entered a quilt nor do I run a business. All my quilts are to be used. Let me know tell ya my family is a rough bunch lol. The quilts I give to my family don't just stay on beds. They take them everywhere including camping and fishing. I don't like handwork but it would never hold up to my bunch anyways.

I machine bind, back to front with straight stitch.  I don't mind hand stitching but after a bout of carpel tunnel stuff a few years ago, I am selective about what I will do that might cause a reacurance of it.  It also feels like it takes for ever to hand stitch a bed sized quilt.  I get more even binding with the machine method I use than I ever did with hand stitching.

I started out doing them by hand, but find myself doing more by machine lately - thinking it will be more durable if machine stitched.  If doing it on the machine I usually stitch the binding to the back, fold it around to the front and sew it down.  I figure if machine piecing and machine quilting are okay, then machine binding should be okay, too. Right? 

LOL.  This is a fun thread...I'm with the machine binders in most all situations.  I too do a lot of gift quilts for family kids and young people, so want them to hold up.  I sometimes use a wide zigzag to top stitch the top layer in place.  Adds a fun funky look, and is quick and sturdy.  I will hand bind but only when really necessary as a special heirloom.

Mary Beth and Cagey, here is a tip to help with tangled fhread.

Assuming you are right handed, draw your thread toward your left shoulder and twist your needle 1/4 turn as you are drawing your thread. This helps to eliminate most tangles. Beeswax on your thread helps also.

My thread is not tangled, it just breaks very easy, at the needle eye. Today I pitched that needle in the trash. I got a new needle out and it worked fine. I finished the quilt I was working on yesterday, and today I begin the next one,  ugh! I do use bees wax on my thread, I am wondering if my thread is old. I do not remember when I bought it. 

I also am sitting on the sofa right now with a king size quilt I just finished hand binding! I would like to machine bind but I was a hand quilter to many years I guess, something inside " just says no" to machine binding. But then again what else do I have to do, my husband is watching tv and it's cold and snowy outside, might as well be sitting with a big, beautiful, warm quilt on my lap and a needle in hand.smiley-happy045.gif

If the quilt will be used & laundered, I machine bind it.

I sew the binding yo the back, then using a blanket stitch, mirror image, I attach it to the front.

I glue baste these most of the time.

Pat Sloan uses this method and I like it a lot.

If it's a wall hanging, I hand stitch it.

Archived