Pricing??- I should know by now!

Ok..... I have been in this business for enough years that I should be

comfortable in charging my customers. For the most part- I am.

However, this baby quilt measures only 41"x 48.5". Even at my highest

price per inch of .05 I would only be making 99.42! I have AT LEAST 13

hours into this thing. Even 200.00 seems too little for the amount of

marking/quilting involved.

Any advice to those of you used to doing heirloom work?

I posted it under quilts 2007 in my webshots album.

Thanks,

Michelle L. Miller/The Quilters Cabin

APQS Millennium

Perham, MN

http://community.webshots.com/user/babysole

I am just not doing that kind of work on quilts for others any more. I make way more on pantos, Baptist Fans or something that has just a bit of custom. At $200, that's a bit over $15/hour and I'm not willing to work for that any more.

I'm quilting a quilt for a customer now that I charged .05 and at first she reminded me that I did a quilt for her several years ago with way more quilting for way less $$. I told her she got a bargain and those days are no more at my studio. She agreed to my price but I doubt I hear from here again.

But the way I look at it, why spend 40 hours working for $15 doing heavy custom when I can do pantos or fans or light custom and make $25 - $40/hour?

Michelle, the quilt is beautiful and you did a great job and I surely think you deserve at least $200 for it.

I took a look at the quilt and it is beautiful. The whole time I was looking at it I was thinking I would never do that kind of work for someone else. It is so very special and it would be very difficult to price. Then I read JudyL's comments and I have to agree. Maybe I am wrong, but it just seems like you can't charge enough for that kind of work.

On the other hand, if I were to make a quilt for myself or a very special family member - and I mean special - then I would quilt the quilt with this type of quilting. Then I could enter it into shows and show 'em what I can do. I guess that would be a teaser!!

I just hate to see you give your quilting away. If it had been on a larger quilt you could justify the price and get it, but on a crib quilt...that is a tough one.

Something this time consuming and detailed, like a whole cloth or Heirloom quality should be based on the hour. So figure out what you would like to earn per hour (nothing less than $25 per hour for something this detailed though).

I would also advertise that anything like this would be based per hour instead of a flat rate, that is if this is the direction you are planning on taking your business in. That way there won't be any sticker shock when the quilt is finished.

BTW your work is truely gorgeous! and if it were me I would not want to give this one back :P

Michelle,

Your work is beautiful. That Jazzy Mystery quilt in your webshots just stunning. Fabulous.

I can't add to what has been said. I'm with Judy on this. I don't know what price you quoted. I know that Christening gowns and other special occasion children's clothing is sometimes quite pricey because it will become a family heirloom. This quilt looks like it belongs in that category.

Michelle - My thoughts? You are a national award winning quilter - you HAVE to charge a lot - its expected and your work shows that you put EVERYTHING into the job.

Explain. you only do the hard stuff - and give her the hours you have into it - explain that in a email or a phone call -

Just tell her the hours...she's going to be blown away.

Michelle the quilting on that is awesome! I am in agreement of the others. Seems like people do not want to pay for custom work but they sure are happy to get custom quilting for cheap prices. I know I have slaved over quilts and then gotten way less money per hour than when I do quick allover designs. I agree with Judy L I would rather do the quick stuff for customers (unless they are willing to pay) and save the over the top stuff for myself.

Case in point...........................I spent hours on a small art quilt for a friend. She entered it in a show and won a ribbon. My name was never mentioned at the show. When I dropped of the quilt she grosed over the price and I only got about 10 per hour. The quilt was much smaller than the other quilt I did for her at the same time and cost more money but not that much more money. People just do not get it that it is not the size of the quilt but the complexity and difficulty of the design that drives the price.

Would you argue at the car repair shop over the book price to fix something on your car.............................no you just choke up the money and pay them.

I have to say if you already quoted her a price you are pretty much commited. If you did not talk price then I would say try to get what you think it is worth.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!! I just hope someday to be able to do those things. I guess I would not even know how to begin with what to charge. That is one example where it would be better for the per hour charge versus square inch or per yard charging. You have to decide what your time is worth to you. Great job.

Absolutely beautiful. Price? I don't know, but for the skills that you have, you need to charge accordingly. How may hrs did it take you too get those skills? How many classes did you take? How many books did you have to buy? All of these things add up to making you the quilter that you are today. Don't sell yourself cheap.

Karen Mc is right. If you are an award winner, people should expect to pay more! If I wanted Karen to do my quilt, I would save up for a year and be HAPPY to pay whatever, because I know it will be OMIGAWD gorgeous. Yours is exquisite and I would NOT apologize or wiffle waffle on the price here.

That being said, I certainly have done my share of worrying about pricing. I recently had a customer give me a huge quilt, crappy work, wanted custom and bitched about the price. I came down but resented it. My DH informed me that he saw her driving away in a Jag and I later found out she lives in THE ritziest area of San Diego County. The next quilt she brought was even more elaborate and she wanted custom, including McTavishing in the background, SID, etc, etc. I quoted her my price and when she hemmed and hawed I just smiled sweetly and said "I'll let you think about that while I fold up your other one here". She immediately said she didn't have to think, just do it. I felt SO EMPOWERED!!!! Also, I saw the pattern she did (A Maggie Walker) that I had just quilted at the San Diego quilt show and original price for the PATTERN was $245. So, don't be intimidated. This is not a cheap hobby.

My 4 cents...

Robin in CA

Hi.

I just took a look...the quilt is beautiful.

Be proud of your work and the price you charge. She got a bargain in my book!

Hey, what if you told her something like this...I like the quilt so much, if you think the quilting job is too expensive for you, I'll pay you for your materials you used and keep the quilt myself!

You made it a treasure.

Lisa

NW New Jersey

APQS Liberty

Michelle, you are an inspiration to me. You do beautiful stuff.

Without sounding mushy, I want to THANK YOU for your quality work. You and the other quilters who continue to raise the bar, and who continue to do this beautiful artwork are only perpetuating this beautiful art of quilting. Please keep on doing it. I hope to some day attain the skills to create this type of art. Like the others said, don't sell yourself short. You are creating a one-of-a-kind jewel, gem, precious item. This is something that has gone past the dollar amount because I think it is priceless. Again, thank you. Please come back often and share more of your beautiful stuff.

PS: I enjoyed viewing your webshots album. You have a beautiful family, too! Your girls are gorgeous (just like their mama!) :)

Shana

I don't know if this will help or not, but this is how I charge for custom work because I seem to get about 75% custom quilts. I was never charging enough either, and for everyone out there beware!!!! on small quilts--you NEVER seem to be able to charge enough for them! Just loading and preparing (meeting with customer, picking out thread, winding bobbins, etc.) takes almost as long as a queen sized.

Anyway, I have learned that I charge for the quilting at heirloom price which I put as 5 cents AND UP for this very reason! I do this with all my levels of pricing. I always put this 1 1/2 cents AND UP for the basic level and so on.

Then, on top of that I add a charge for marking the quilt. If it takes me 2 hours to mark the quilt, then I charge another $20-30/hr of marking. Then, you are able to get up to where you need to be. Some people out there can freely do all those feathers and things without marking, but I am not one of them, so if I am doing it, they are paying for it. Hope this helps.

Luv2Kwilt

APQS Millennium

I have had people comment that my charges seem high for small quilts, but as you say it takes the same time for the meet and greet and almost as long to load, so I explain this and they are generally OK with that. Personally I think $200 sounds too low for this quilt given the hours in it. It does depend on what you quoted and what the customer asked for but really I think you should be charging a lot more for it.

Ferret

Archived