Rescued Sunbonnet Sue

This quilt belongs to a good friend who found it in her grandfather's house after he passed away. Grandma, who hand pieced and embroidered it, had died many years earlier.

They found this quilt top in a closet, along with a couple others. One was a Triple Irish Chain, which I've already quilted, and the other I still have to quilt.

I love rescuing these old tops and bringing them back to life.

I used Cotton King Tut for the quilting, and MonoPoly on the applique. I didn't want to detract from the handwork, but the Sues were too large to leave unquilted.

All quilting is freehand...no rulers either. I'm getting better at moving that machine where I want it to go, but still practicing.

post--13461900238479_thumb.jpg

Georgene, its beautiful. I LOVE Sunbonnet Sue and hope to someday make one. I remember my grandma having a quilt with her on it; I have no idea who made it or where it went but I hope that someone is loving it.

Beautiful job quilting and what a great find!

Oh - it is so wonderful :) - you did such a great job. I know the family will love it for years to come. I have a couple of my great grandmothers quilts and the nicest is in my living room for all to see. I cherish it as I know this family will cherish their newly finished quilts - so many memories.

I love the job you did on that background. It is even. I really like how you accented the sues too. You made it able to be used. Rescuing old tops is honoring those people who made it. It is a great feeling for the rescuer too. I rescued a few of my grandmother's tops before I got my machine. I looked up to heaven and said "Grandma I finihed your quilt". I wasn't joking either.

Cheryl, that's the same way I feel. Someone spent a LOT of time hand piecing these treasures and they deserve better than to be sitting in a closet unseen.

I feel like I'm bringing the quilts back to life as well as honoring the person who made the quilt top.

I thoroughly enjoy doing it, even though most of these old quilts are not square, not even, and some are not even finished....need borders, etc. Not to mention that they are often stained and not so fresh. But when I finish quilting them I give them a bath and they smell good and fresh again.

I figure if I can quilt these challenges I can quilt most anything else someone throws my way.

I hope there is someone around to rescue any tops I leave unquilted.

Archived