Batting storage?

LoreW

My pre-owned Millie came with the batting bar, but I am not able to use it. The room for the Millie is our formal living room. It is only 12x17 and needs to house the Millie, a rather long cabinet for the DSM, another smaller cabinet for a serger, a bookcase, a small cutting table, 2 floor lamps, and an enclosed cabinet to hold yardage, projects, etc., I had hoped to be able to get the ironing board in also, but ran out of room. It has to live in the dining room for now. In order to have room for my large fabric stash, we purchased five 4 drawer cabinets. We were able to break these down into units of only 2 drawers so that they were low enough to fit under the panto table. We placed five of these units under each side of the machine. I organized my stash by color into these drawers and labeled each with the contents. I had one left over and am using it to store longarm supplies (needles, bobbins, oil, rags, lint brushes, etc.) I will need to figure out how and where to store rolls of batting when I am finally doing enough quilting to warrant buying rolls. Right now, I only plan to quilt for myself, so one roll of batting is probably all I will need at a time.

Linda

• 3 years later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a lovely batting closet converted in my old quilt room and loved it.  Now I moved to the middle of the ranch house and my batting is still at the other end in that lovely closet.  It stores 4 rolls all horizontal and the doors were custom made to be bifold.  I have a 2 x 4 mounted in brackets in the doorway so I can pull out the batting and cut it along that with scissors and get a straight cut.  I like the walk to the other end of the house and may leave it there.  No problem really.  Oh, and I have an emergency roll of batting upright in my sewing room that I can use for my quilts if I need some fast!  Karen

post-3439-0-89764100-1367660388_thumb.jpg

post-3439-0-99315900-1367660411_thumb.jpg

post-3439-0-96308000-1367660435_thumb.jpg

post-3439-0-84026600-1367660455_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

This is what my batting storage looks like. It is AWESOME if you have the space. I went to a one week retreat and when I returned my DH had made this. It holds 8 full rolls, they are on wooden dowels. The slot on the left is like a holder the dowel fits in to and on the right it is a slot so I can load new rolls myself by just putting the dowel in the left and then sliding the right side down in to the slot. I store the most common batting in the front and the less used in the back, it is two rolls deep.

There is a movable PVC piece that I use as a straight cutting line. I pull the batting out over the white PVC, use a measuring tape to pull out the right amount, the cut off.

This is what my batting storage looks like. It is AWESOME if you have the space. I went to a one week retreat and when I returned my DH had made this. It holds 8 full rolls, they are on wooden dowels. The slot on the left is like a holder the dowel fits in to and on the right it is a slot so I can load new rolls myself by just putting the dowel in the left and then sliding the right side down in to the slot. I store the most common batting in the front and the less used in the back, it is two rolls deep.

There is a movable PVC piece that I use as a straight cutting line. I pull the batting out over the white PVC, use a measuring tape to pull out the right amount, the cut off. post-370-0-90963500-1370435576_thumb.jpg

My husband made me a cutting table with drawers on each side and batting storage underneath. He used large shelf brackets to hold the batting on a wood rod. I just pull out however much batting I need and lay it end to end for cutting. I only have two rolls since I don't quilt for the public. The table is 55" X 96".  He used white melamine particle board (can't think of the actual name) and framed it with black walnut. It is 41" tall so I don't have to bend over to iron, cut, and plan projects. My profile pic shows the table.I am not bragging, I just took along time to plan what I needed and this table has been extremely useful in many ways.

• 4 months later...

Am I wrong or is the topic addressing mostly Millie's??  I have a Lenni, and under Her table, I already have things, and can't move tjem, anywhere else.

Himself put up two hangers, the part that goes to the ceiling and drops to the rod, is a chain.  Not huge but nice size for holding any weight.  The rods are of  wood for drapes. The 1 1/2" size.

He put them above my head, and over the least end of use of the table.  I can go in now and don't even notice they are there.

Unused space, solved the storage problem.

The rolls are now out of the entry.. and where I can use them easily.

Rita

Called today and my advice is to buy it with your machine if you want one as the cost to ship is very high. I don't know what the actual bar costs but I was quoted $600-$800 for the bar due to the need to ship by freight (I suspect because of the 14ft length???). I ended up ordering the brackets and will find a suitable bar substitute locally! Hopefully someone will benefit from this knowledge so I wanted to post it.

Hi,

Another source for a bar would be to visit your local fence supply company. You can buy a "top rail aluminum bar" at a "by the foot" price. It also comes in colors, so you don't have to worry about any rusting.

Measure for the size you need and have them cut it. Should be under $30 or so. It does not have to be the same diameter as your bars on the machine - you probably would even want it to be smaller so the batting tube could be threaded onto it. Be sure to check that size too.

Hi Dave, I did a double-check with our shipping team since your price quote did seem high. You're right in that the pole's length is the big issue which dramatically bumps up the shipping cost. A batting bar itself is $150 plus tax (if applicable), and the shipping to Oregon is right at about $334. Indeed it is wise to consider adding a batting bar to an initial order, or using a substitute pole and ordering the support brackets instead.

Just a personal observation...I had a batting bar but it only lasted about 6 months before I removed it. The bar did its job, but I was way too frustrated at spending time picking off every loose thread or fuzz ball that fell on to the batting before I rolled out another length (and I was far too impatient to cover it and uncover it each time.) But that's just me. :)

ummm.....I don't think I need a batting bar for a whole roll of batting....but....I would like a sort of bar or something to hold the batting for the quilt I am working on, off of the floor....I have two dogs that like to check out what I am doing and my machine is down in the basement and it is an unfinished concrete floor.....I have been trying to think of something to use.....anyone have any ideas on this?  Last quilt I did, I tyed two scrap fabric strips on either side of the batting and sort of looped them around the ends of the batting, worked OK until I went to advance the quilt, then I had to play with it again....I was thinking of some sort of a hammock type thing hanging underneath the frame...that I can stuff the end of the batting in.....I will keep brainstorming this....Lin

ummm.....I don't think I need a batting bar for a whole roll of batting....but....I would like a sort of bar or something to hold the batting for the quilt I am working on, off of the floor....I have two dogs that like to check out what I am doing and my machine is down in the basement and it is an unfinished concrete floor.....I have been trying to think of something to use.....anyone have any ideas on this?  Last quilt I did, I tyed two scrap fabric strips on either side of the batting and sort of looped them around the ends of the batting, worked OK until I went to advance the quilt, then I had to play with it again....I was thinking of some sort of a hammock type thing hanging underneath the frame...that I can stuff the end of the batting in.....I will keep brainstorming this....Lin

I purchased a 4'x12' painters canvas drop cloth, sewed a casing on each side and ran a cord thru the casing and then looped the ends of the cord around the ends of my frame ... makes a perfect sling to hold the batting for one quilt.

Hi Dave, I did a double-check with our shipping team since your price quote did seem high. You're right in that the pole's length is the big issue which dramatically bumps up the shipping cost. A batting bar itself is $150 plus tax (if applicable), and the shipping to Oregon is right at about $334. Indeed it is wise to consider adding a batting bar to an initial order, or using a substitute pole and ordering the support brackets instead.

Just a personal observation...I had a batting bar but it only lasted about 6 months before I removed it. The bar did its job, but I was way too frustrated at spending time picking off every loose thread or fuzz ball that fell on to the batting before I rolled out another length (and I was far too impatient to cover it and uncover it each time.) But that's just me. :)

Thanks Dawn...

I ordered the bracket and will look for an alternative pole...the fence supply idea is a good one (thanks Debbie!). Total cost with brackets would have been over $600 as I was quoted but the real problem is, of course, the shipping at over $300.

As to covering the roll...as a retired Operating Room Doc...I have enough built in OCD to handle it...but I do understand what you are saying and it is a great reminder to be careful!

Thanks again!

Archived