Out of my mind Eagle

This is the Eagle wallhanging I have been working on for my husband. It has taken me 3 weeks and I still have to quilt it. I kept notes on how many pieces as I finished each section and almost felll over when I added them up. there are 645 pieces excluding borders.

Any ideas on how to quilt it would be appreciated.

2448170610104476957S425x425Q85.jpg

This is a gorgeous eagle....and as that goes, Its not one Gene can expect anytime soon that is for sure... I see rays coming from behind the eagle as if he is blocking out the sun and is soring on the winds.

I missed and started the rays to high....I would definitely make sure they looked like they were coming from behind him. Also I would put way more in than I drew....these are to far apart, there needs to be more and closer.

GREAT job....it really is breath taking.

post--13461900814954_thumb.jpg

Beautiful piece of art work. I agree with Bonnie, rays coming out from the eagle. And as much as I like to paper piece, no thanks, looks like way to much work.

I have a fellow quilter who just completed a paper pieced quilt of outdoor life, I can't think of the name of the designer. I have not seen it, but she kept track of her time, over 80 hours, just piecing not putting it together. I think she kept track of the pieces to but can't remember how many. Such talent.

So that is what that pattern looks like made up! I have the pattern, but haven't even started on it yet. You did a great job.

I agree with Bonnie on the rays - wonderful idea, Bonnie, and then I would definitely stitch the feathers to emphasize them as Kimmie said. I would use a brown variegated for the wings and body and white for the head and tale feathers.

I love Bonnie's idea about the rays. Your eagle is very beautiful and well worth the time involved to make it. Thanks for sharing! :)

If you want to give the quilt a little extra interest, try adding an extra layer of batting to trapunto the eagle's body and feathers. This would be very simple. Then using monofilamemt thread, you could quilt around the outer edges, the head, beak, talons and wings/feathers to give the trapunto eagle more detail and emphasis and then afterward, add your quilted rays in the background.

Wow! My parents live at Eagle Lake! This would fit in perfectly at their house. I don't think they should be expecting once soon, however! That looks like a LOT of work to me. I'm not the best at paper piecing so it would probably take me twice as long! It's beautiful.

As for quilting it, I like the feathers (like real bird feathers) for the wings and the white on the eagle, and the rays behind.

Archived