Sewing Machhine Advice

Today I had two friends (much younger) call me and ask if I knew anything about Elna, Pfaff and any other sewing machines. Well, I didn't have any advice as I havea 401A Singer and a Bernina 1630. Have never used any other so they didn't get much info from me. One of the young women is on her second Baby lock within just a few years Her new one has pieced 5 baby quilts and has now stopped operating. The first one did this right after the warranty ran out, so she got a new one. Still has warranty on second one, but as they both have had same problem she is starting to search for another brand.

Any input I can pass on would be appreciated. Also, specific recommendations would help. One friend wants a machine for quilt piecing only; the other wants a machine for quilt piecing and small amounts of garment construction. I passed on Bonnie's suggestions about trying a lot of machines and taking your own fabrics. Does anyone else have anything to add? Anyone who has owned an Elna or a Pfaff as they seem to be interested in those two machine companies. Told them I would pass on any info I could get on this site.

Thanks in advance.

This is lengthy, isn't it?

Marilyn

I bought a Pfaff last year and love it!! It has the built-in walking foot which is great, especially for piecing. Makes it really easy to keep nice 1/4 inch seams.

I also love the Viking....... I have an older machine, that has never let me down. They also sew very nicely, but I don't know if they come with the in-built walking foot now-a-days.

Shana had a thread on her sewing machine problems a few days ago....... there is some good information on that thread as well about other brands.

In the end it is a matter of what they can afford.

They also need to test drive (I wouldn't buy a car without test driving it, I didn't buy my Millie without test driving her), so I certainly wouldn't buy a sewing machine without a try out.

Regards,

I would tell your friends that they need to research/ try out many different brands/models and buy the best one that they can afford.

When I was younger just starting to have kids I only could afford kenmores (singers with kenmore name on them) anyways I wanted a Viking top of the line really bad but never could afford it. When I was older & was able to afford a more expensive machine I didn't buy the Viking that I wanted so badly I ended up buying a Bernina. Why? Because my MIL convinced me that Bernina was the only machine to buy. However when my 12 year old started sewing 2 years ago I bought her a a basic singer sewing machine which I use and like when my Bernina is in the shop.

So the individuals need to try and find their perfect fit. They will be happier with their purchase.

I have heard lots of good and not so good about all the machines. I personally have had a Pfaff for 7 years and have never had any kind of a problem with it. Sewed clothes, quilts, and used it for freehand meandering...have taken it to numerous classes and love the built in walking foot and all of the stitches and options it offers...everyone here owns a Bernina and like them, but I love my Pfaff! (Next to my milli of course!)

Vicki

I have had my Pfaff 1222E for about 30 years and it has never had a problem. It still sews like a charm. Even though Pfaff is owned by Huskinvarin (sorry can't spell it) they still have their own factory and engineers. I would buy another when this one gives up sewing which hopefully will be never:):P:D

Everyone has a favorite brand, they need to sit down and try them all.

I have a Viking D1-USB and love it. Unfortunately it came with a mechanic less than proficient at his job.

I have a little Brother, very in expensive, sews well for piecing, but very noisy. I also have a little Bernette H-70, and use it a lot at one end of the house, ( now and then I just want to be around another person) take it to sewing classes, or sew day, trips, etc. It can use Generic Feet.. $39.00 for a walking foot, versus $139 for a Bernina Walking foot. The feet snap on, contrary to the ones that have the cone to slip up and in.

I also have 2 treadle machines and would use any of them for piecing if I had the time and patience to figure out how to fill the shuttle bobbins. One is a vibrating bobbin, one isn't.

Try out machines.. pay particular attention to what all the clerk has to do to get it threaded, and the bobbin filled to run, find out how it is threaded.. this Bernette threads in a totally opposite direction just above the needle from all others I have.

LISTEN to the machine. Clangs, clatters, rattles, pings and pops don't cut it. Or may cut your fabric. Do you need special needles, or will the Schmetz work? are presser feet real pricey or considered moderate by the shopper.. What feet come with it, and which ones will you need to buy? What do the extras cost lumped together. Lessons? How often does the maintenance man come in and what does the maintenance cover. I was use to in-shop repair clerks on the west coast.. not back here.. once or twice a week, and one place takes 10 days just to adjust a needle threader and get it back to you. Not for me!

Does it have a good carry case? Does it have an accessory drawer, case, pack, etc.. that will carry your attatchments and accessories without losing half of them along the way or dumping them on the table when its opened.' Is it easy to clean, need oil or grease, have a decent manual with it. Need special lights, cords, and so on.

These are all things I consider, besides the owner and how they interact with others in the shop, do they make remarks about who is coming or just left that wasn't nice? Lastly is the distance it takes to get to and from the shop.. and free lessons? Do the clerks, owners listen carefully when you ask something, or do they turn and walk off thinking they know, and come up with the wrong thing? do they make note on the in-take card, what needs repair, or if it's just the annual cleaning, or a "going over".

I seldom ever take a machine in for cleaning any more, because I was told I keep the cleanest machine they've ever seen.. and that works for me.

Good luck on your search and enjoy what you decide on, and buy.

RitaR

I have had Singers, but for over 10 years I have had Pfaffs. I still have my first one a 7530 good basic computer machine. My second, 7560 was an embroidery unit with it, I gave it to my daughter so I could get the 2140 with a bigger screen. My 2140 has been upgraded to a 2170 and works great for all sewing, quilting and embroidery. I wouldn't get one without the integrated duel feed, I have that on all the time (unless the special pressor foot won't let me). The 2170 has a setting for the pressor foot to lift to none, low, med, and high when you stop stitching. I keep mine at low and it is great for smoothing the fabric in quilting or any sewing, starting another piece, etc.

Have her check her dealers and try them out, even the trade-ins. They are a great machine. I have never had a problem with mine not working.

Love all the advice. I LOVE my new Viking - it sews like a dream - actually much better than my Bernina (which I traded in for my Viking & I am not knocking Bernina - great machine, not the greatest dealer). Rita made some very good points - I think she covered about everything!! Good going girl.

Anyway, the final issue is what machine fits you best, get the best you can afford, double & triple check the dealer for service & willingness to help and answer questions (even on the phone) as you get used to your new machine & 5 years down the road when something might go wrong. My new dealer called just to see how happy I was. The lady who helped me and the owner were/are just the best even though they are over an hour away - well worth the drive for someone I feel I will be able to rely on. Also, when I traded my machine here in CA, they threw in lots of extras because my machine was in such good order - very clean and organized with all the original books, pamphlets, etc. They could sell it more like a new machine - so it pays to keep everything - even the original box!!!

Also, if you are trading in a machine, you might be able to use some of your old feet if you don't have to trade those in. When I traded my Babylock for my other Viking, they gave me an adapter that allows me to use my extra Babylock feet on my Viking. They said that they only needed the basic feet that came with the Babylock and the free adapter was the perfect solution - all my old feet are totally usable without additional cost & they did not have to figure out how to trade in the extra feet for the Babylock. Both sides happy!!

I have several Janomes that I love and my mom has a Viking that she loves. I don't get to visit often, but I like her Viking too. I really believe that the dealer is just as important as the machine.

Try out all the different brands, talk to the dealers and talk to people that have used the dealers. Ask the dealers for references. I really want to talk to the people that have had an issue to see if it was dealt with in a way that I can live with, so I asked lots of people at guild about their machines and dealers when I was looking for my machines.

I just got a Great deal on a Brother 8200. Eight years old, but in awesome condition. It does sewing and embroidery. Was the top of the line in it's day. I bought it from our local machine dealer. He is great. Went over it with a fine tooth comb. It sews awesome. I am just finishing the 2nd of matching bunk bed quilts. The second one is always easier, but my new machine has made it much easier. I love it! Can't wait to try making some labels.

Peglu...you should have them upgrade your 8200 machine to an 8500...and then it will really sing. Your range of motion won't change, but your ablity to edit will increase. Do you have the equipment to digitize your own...and have the converter box that reads the cards or can upload from the computer....

I am a big fan of Pfaff and have a 2134 which I love. I use it for straight sewing and I use the applique stitch regularly on it. I do the raw edge fusible applique method and bought the Pfaff for this reason - that stitch is unbelieveable on the Pfaff. I purchased my Pfaff used (used barely one month) on Ebay for less than half the retail price. I also own a 1958 Singer in the cabinet (I inherited this machine from a great aunt who was the only owner) - which sews beautifully; and a newer Kenmore which has a great solid straight stitch (which I got also on Ebay for under $100 but it sells for over $300).

My nine year old daughter is learning to sew on the 58 Singer which I slow way down for her. And it is controlled with a knee control instead of a foot pedal.

Good luck with your shopping.

I love my Viking(husqavarna), mid price and had it since 1997, never had a problem. I was going to buy a Bernina but the Viking dealer used to be a Bernina dealer and he convinced me that Viking is a better buy. I still have it

Then I bought Janome 6500, longer bed, used for 3 years piecing and quilting, started giving me problem so I traded it for Janome 1600, longer bed also, straight stitching , fast and heavy duty, its just ok, still love my Viking a lot better, and I still have it.

I owned another quilting machine, Brother something ---- we bought with the New Joy Quilting Frame, not bad but used it only for 1 year, the we bought Millenium, my friend bought the Brother from me and she is still happy with it.

When I buy a machine, I make sure I get reliable service, it is very important to me, this is business, we need dependable machines.

Corey

APQS Millenium

Sister, Sister

Longarm Quilting

For a long time I thought that the only machine for me was a Bernina, however the nearest Bernina dealer was beyond pushy and that was a big turnoff. Then for my birthday my husband bought me a Viking, surprise, didn't know it was coming. I was sure that I was going to hate it. But after a few minutes of using it I thought, wow this is one great machine. Wonderful stitch, great tension, easy to use. That was many years ago. I still have that machine, and 3 other Vikings. I wouldn't use anything else.

Dianne

Archived