Gorgeous Applique quilt

I wanted to share a picture of an awesome quilt made by one of my customers. It took her a year to make this. This has a spe3cial meaning for her as she sewed this while visiting her dying husband. She said make it special. She really loved it when se got it back yesterday. Her work is perfect.

post--1346190181154_thumb.jpg

Carol, Your customer has stitched her love into this quilt and your quilting has really made this one a masterpiece that she and her family will cherish for years to come. I love the way that you have used all kinds of background fills together. Really beatiful. :)

Totally speechless....for both the piecing/hand applique and your quilting. Double WOW....what a masterpiece the two of you have created. So sorry for her lose, but she now has a memory to carry her through her next steps in life.

That quilt is gorgeous!! The quilting is great too. When my husband was dying I was knitting a sweater, that will always stay with me.

Now this wonderful quilt can provide comfort to a grieving widow and give her a hug from her DH.

Carol

what a masterpiece, both the applique and the quilting. It will be much loved and admired by all. Way to go. I especially love the wide variety of quiting designs that you used without any particular pattern. It makes it so much more interesting, it just draws you in to look more and more!!

Wow. Your quilting made me feel like I was wandering through a wildflower garden... always something new and beautiful to look at!

You are so far beyond what I can even imagine achieving!

Can I ask, what was your thought process when choosing the different fills? I want to be able to do that! I am not brave enough, I think, to change fill designs within the same area. I always thought it would look like I made a mistake. But, again, wow. :cool:

I tried my best to come up with a design that I could use throughout the quilt. But, even though the squares are the same size and shape, the motifs appliqued inside the square were all different. I know this lady loves feathers but even those wouldn't work because some areas would have feathers the size of peas. As I worked along the quilt, I always started with some sort of feather somewhere in the area and worked "stuff" all around. I actually had no plan. I like to add birds, butterflies and bugs to my quilting so there are quite a few of those as well. Usually I add a crystal for the eyes but on this quilt, I thought a french knot would look better so she has her job cut out finding all the critters in the quilt and adding eyes. As for doing different background fills, just go for it. I did that on a quilt I quilted for my daughter quite a few years ago. I thought I was doing something special ;) then I saw Jane Ann Hausers quilts and she does the same thing. Another advantage to that type of quilting is that no-one knows if you make a mistake. :P

Thank you all for the nice comments. She and her husband laughed and joked about her taking so long making that quilt.

Archived