What do you love about quilting?

Over the labor day weekend I broke my ankle while I was doing agility training with Dylan (Goldne Retreiver full of energy!!!!) :(

Needless to say I am resting and trying to recoup.

I am working on an applique mystery quilt and the fall swap quilt. :)A lot of it may be hand pieced. That is what I love about quilting.:cool::P:P:P You can either load it into the LG or if you can do it by hand. Both are acceptable.

What do you love about qilting??

I think Shannon summed up a pretty neat package....I might add the stroking of the fabrics once they are in the stash...playing with them and putting them back because I can't cut them either...and collecting books, patterns and just being around other quilters. And its not always to just talke quilty stuff....just to hang out.

And finely the bestest bestest part is giving the quilt away to someone who can use it or just needs a hug.....those are the bestest gifts one can give.;)

I feel best about being creative, as well as useful, I like the definition of "craftperson". In the "old" days, a person could feel really needed for what he could do with his own hands. I like the idea that it produces something real and tangible, that with care could be used, enjoyed, and perhaps passed down as a good memory.

I have a deep seated need, from the bad days of childhood, to be valuable and produce, (and thus be worth keeping):( and even though I'm well past all that, realize it will always be part of me....

I love feeling the fabric, cutting, sewing , quilting, and final race around the edge binding, to the finish Ta Dah....:D

I like looking at scraps of the clothing I sewed for my children, and their cabbage patch dolls, even they recognize it all and smile..

I like the color, the geometry, the vibrancy, and the quilters vision on so many quilts, I can spend days in a big show (Houston) and never get enough.

I like that quilters are a group of individuals, but come together for our life's events, war, death, birth, fires, personal tragedy,weddings....

I like that quilts wrap you in warmth, much like I envision God's arms comforting.

I wrote a lot, I feel a lot about quilting, must have come to it intuitively, as no one in my family really sewed, and I made a very crude quilt for a small doll in a shoebox bed when I was really small. I found my calling, and am so grateful.

Quilting , I live it!! Pat

You know I was in a fabric store one day looking for a special fabric and someone in the next aisle said, "I just don't get quilters. They buy perfectly good fabric, cut it up in little pieces, and then sew it back together again." I thought she was right - she just didn't get it! I love every part of quilting and doesn't a quilt make the best gift ever???

Originally posted by jmcclannan

...someone in the next aisle said, "I just don't get quilters. They buy perfectly good fabric, cut it up in little pieces, and then sew it back together again."

I've often thought the same thing myself... :D

Obviously this person has never seen a work of art made up of teeny weeinie tiny pieces all sewn back together!

Hey, Denise! Do you need anything? Let me know! I'm off to the Cortland show in the morning, but I can help if you need me...

All my life, I've had this creative thing in my head, and now that I'm semi-retired, I get to do it everyday, all day, and night if I want. I LOVE EVERYTHING about it... I especially love the hunt for that great signature piece of fabric, and the designing of the pattern.

Right now I have this lovely Robyn Pandolf fabric, so romantic - it's the light aqua blue with pale pinks, and greens and ivory. I can't wait to see it made up but I'm stuck on the pattern.... nothing has struck me yet....

Pat said it all, it's a place we can all go to be accepted and loved... How kool is that?

I think there is only one thing I don't love about quilting, and that is FROGGING! Otherwise, I love to buy fabric, I actually love to wash, dry, and even PRESS it, I love cutting it, sewing it together, and I love to watch the quilting designs show up as I quilt it. I'm not a fan of flat, flat batting - I love to see the quilting designs in relief. Then, I love snuggling under the quilts too!

Get well soon Denice! I'm so sorry to hear about your ankle.

Linda

Originally posted by jmcclannan

You know I was in a fabric store one day looking for a special fabric and someone in the next aisle said, "I just don't get quilters. They buy perfectly good fabric, cut it up in little pieces, and then sew it back together again." I thought she was right - she just didn't get it! I love every part of quilting and doesn't a quilt make the best gift ever???

One of my co-workers said the exact same thing. She, however, was into geneology. I told her that when I was done, I had a useful item that I could sleep under. When she was done with her research, all she had was a list of dead people. :P

;)

One of my co-workers said the exact same thing. She, however, was into geneology. I told her that when I was done, I had a useful item that I could sleep under. When she was done with her research, all she had was a list of dead people. :P:P:D:o:D

Too funny! I love it all the shopping for the fabrics, the stash building, the patterns and books. I loved working with customers at the LQS, helping them to create a wonderful, warm, care-filled gift!

I've loved all things crafty since I was a child, must've gotten it from my paternal Grandmother and Great-Grandmother who taught me so much.

I love sharing my passion with others and seeing the AH-HA moments when I teach!

"What's not to love" only cheap fabrics or ratty battings, all of the rest is all the cream at the top of the milk bottle!

I sure hope that your foot heals quickly, and I highly recommend Donna Lynn Thomas' book 'Portable Patchwork' for more ideas on projects that can be hand and machine pieced!

Denice,

I probably have slept under a quilt all my soon to be 60 + years. My grandma was a quilter and I have been for over 30 + years. Can't sleep without one on the bed. I love the excitment of going into a quilt shop to see what is new, I love going into my sewing room and touching the projects, I love decorating my house with my quilting and at last count I have about 25 quilted items being displayed. I eat, sleep, dream, breathe quilting. I started out hand piecing everything and hand quilting. Now I have moved over to Lenni. I have a good size home and next summer if anyone would like to come and have a quilt fest for a few days let me know. Just me and hubby, Sage the over friendly Golden Retriever and Denny the friendly cat. You wouldn't be disappointed. Love, love quilting. The basement walls are finished so now I am hanging quilts down there. Non-quilters think I am crazy but I love looking at quilts, wallhangings, I love touching them and thinking of the enjoyment when I made them.

Mountainquilter

Diana

Archived